The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 19, 2009, 04:51 PM   #1
wilkup

Concealed Carry Trouble

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this question in and if not if a moderator could maybe relocate it I would GREATLY appreciate it!

With that said, I am having trouble carrying my gun. I've been carrying it inside my waistband behind my hip. I'm not sure how to say this other than I have a big ass, which makes carrying it in this place a bit difficult to hide. I'm trying to find someplace else that would be a bit more comfortable and easier for me to conceal it. Does anyone else have a problem with this? I'm not a very stocky guy, that's I think another reason I'm having such a problem. I've chosen to carry my Sig P6, but it's just tough for me to completely conceal on my waist so far... maybe in the small of my back at an angle? Any advice you can give me would be rad! Thanks.
Old February 19, 2009, 06:36 PM   #2
EricReynolds

Ever think of a shoulder holster? Pros: You needn't worry about your pistol bumping against anything when you sit and it's much less likely that anyone would try to grab someone's weapon from under their arm as opposed to their hip. Cons: You'll have to conceal with another article of clothing. A simple vest will do the trick. Also, some people really don't like to cross-draw. I personally prefer to. Just a thought.
Old February 19, 2009, 06:37 PM   #3
GPossenti

What holster are you using?

I posted a thread about the desantis cozy partner vs the crossbreed supertuck over at the XD forums.

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/hs2000-...omparison.html
Old February 19, 2009, 07:51 PM   #4
Kreyzhorse

Try a good OWB holster. You have to dress around it, but it is vastly more comfortable than IWB. Look at Galco, Bianchi or Don Hume for good holsters at a decent prices.
Old February 19, 2009, 08:14 PM   #5
Don H

Need a good belt, too. A good holster and a good belt really pull the pistol butt in against your body. A little more forward placement may help a bit, maybe around 3:00 or 3:30.
Old February 19, 2009, 08:26 PM   #6
gilfo

How about appex carry (spelled wrong I'm sure) or carry at 1 or 2 o'clock. I had to chage to this method due to a shoulder injury. Plus I was conditioned to go to the front from pocket carry. Please note that if you have a fat belly to go along with your fat ass it may be somewhat uncomfortable. Please don't take offense about the fat joke.
Old February 19, 2009, 11:49 PM   #7
golfnutrlv

+1 to the OWB and good belt suggestion.

Here are a couple holster companies I like:

High Noon Holsters

Galco Concealable Belt Holster

This should get you started. If you like Kydex, or other non leather, try blade tech, comp tac, or Fobus.
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old February 20, 2009, 12:03 AM   #8
skeeter

Small of the back carry can cause major spine damage if you fall on your back.
It should be very easy for a heavy person to carry slightly infront of the hip or at the hip with a good pancake holster. An inside the waist band may require new pants and a new belt.
In any case you need a real gun belt.
Old February 20, 2009, 08:09 AM   #9
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
Need a good belt, too.
+ 2. A good belt is just as important as a good holster.
Old February 20, 2009, 08:19 AM   #10
vito

Have you looked at the Smart Carry holster? I've got a bigger belly than I wish I had, and this makes my jeans or other pants slip down, even without the extra weight of a holster and gun, but the Smart Carry keeps the gun in the center of your body, below the waistline, and gives excellent concealment. It is a little harder to draw the gun than from a traditional IWB holster. ITs relatively comfortable when sitting down as well.
Old February 20, 2009, 09:09 AM   #11
kayakersteve

Try high end IWB, if you haven't yet

I switched from OWB to IWB over 2 years ago and it was rough for the first few weeks. I went with high end Alessi CQC-S for my 1911 commander. I spoke to Lou Alessi twice about it and with encouragment, I stuck it out - It is hardly noticable now and I dress less conspicuously "Look at me, I'm carrying", if you know what I mean. Now, I always grab for it and when I do go for the OWB, it feels disconnected from my body. I will admit, I have the opposite issue as you as I am thin, but that presents a similar problem with potential printing. In the picture below, you can see what I mean - Most people will have no problem seeing the bulge on right hip: