The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 3, 2007, 11:06 AM   #1
rb4browns

Favorite Man-Purse For Carrying?

I should have my Texas CHL in about 30 days. I have a Bob Mika pocket holster which I like, but there are some articles of clothing I have which it prints. (S&W 642). Anyone have a preferred man-bag they use? Will any old fanny pack do the trick?
Old September 3, 2007, 11:28 AM   #2
gordo b.

Stick your holster in this-I do. You can use the regular size for the S&W snubby.

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/...0&idproduct=31

Only if you want the best. I think the right side standard version is the better CCW for a right handed person.
Old September 3, 2007, 11:34 AM   #3
Manedwolf

No offense, but anytime I've seen one of those on someone, they scream "I AM CARRYING! PLUS LIGHTS AND TACTICAL THINGS AND MANY EXTRA MAGS!" more than any other accoutrement I've ever seen.

For Iraq? Maybe. For the mall? Uh... welllll...no. Little "ninja"-esque, IMO.
Old September 3, 2007, 11:44 AM   #4
rb4browns

Ya, that's a little too tacti-cool for me. I'm talking about a regular, dorky looking black bag to put around my waist. I don't mind if another gun type knows I'm carrying, nor do I care if a scumbag does. I just don't want my average fellow Wal-Mart shopper to be aware.
Old September 3, 2007, 11:48 AM   #5
Arabia

How about the Safepacker?

http://store.thewilderness.com/index...43f54300fcb6d9

Or the Weapon Fanny pack.

http://eagleindustries.com/prd_detai...72&SubCatID=28
Old September 3, 2007, 11:49 AM   #6
mattro

Not quite what your talking about, but these are very helpful.

Here is the bob (bail out bag) I carry everyday. It is not good for paperwork though. But I love that it holds large nalgene bottles. Medication, first aid, light, knife, compass, local map, 1911, extra mags, sanitary wipes, etc. It's great cause I drive different vehicles often, and I always have my stuff.

http://www.countycomm.com/BAILOUTBAGGEN5.htm
http://www.lapolicegear.com/baouttabag.html

My boss has had one of these for years and loves it. It is geared for also carrying paperwork well:
http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/con...led_Carry_Tote

If I wanted something to carry on my person it would be this
http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/...20&idproduct=6
Old September 3, 2007, 12:13 PM   #7
Manedwolf

I have one of these by Rothco. Site says it's their "2327 VENTURER EXCURSION ORGANIZER BAG"

I'd gotten it not too long ago...it has a plain OD strap, and I also put it in the wash a few times to "vintage" it, so it looks more weatherbeaten now, and more Old Navy than surplus.

It hangs low on the hip like a small messenger bag, and is just large enough to hold a subcompact like an XD, PT145, and most Glocks. I usually have an iPod nano and a canvas cellphone case clipped to the strap across the chest, so it blends right in with the rest of the hip-urban-styles crowd.

I also put a pre-beaten-up one of these on it, bonus points if recognized.

Old September 3, 2007, 12:59 PM   #8
Thunderhawk88

Man-bag? Carrying a bag is my wife's thing, not mine. :barf:
Old September 3, 2007, 01:27 PM   #9
threegun

I use an Uncle Mikes sidekick (large) to conceal my Glock model 23 and a spare mag. I use model 22 mags both in the gun and the spare to get the extra 2 shots.

Old September 3, 2007, 01:36 PM   #10
Gunner69

I just ordered a Camelbak Goblin, for my deep concealment needs.

http://www.uscav.com/Productinfo.asp...D=1&CatID=5230

Have to shop price but it doesn't scream "Hey look over hear I'm packin."
Old September 3, 2007, 02:00 PM   #11
rb4browns

Quote:
Man-bag? Carrying a bag is my wife's thing, not mine.
This dork could give a rat's ass if a bag is mine or my wife's thing. I only care about easy access to my snubby to keep us safe. To each their own!
Old September 3, 2007, 04:49 PM   #12
ActivShootr

'Wolf's and gunner's are about the only ones so far that don't scream I AM CARRYING A FIREARM!!!!!!!!
Old September 3, 2007, 05:07 PM   #13
Manedwolf

Also, I tend to refer to the sort of thing I showed as a "satchel". Male soldiers, messengers, hunters and travellers have worn satchels for thousands of years to hold extra junk they may be carrying.

In fact, the word itself is derived from the Old English sachel, itself a derivation of the Latin saccellus, a diminutive of saccus, or bag. As in...it's a small bag.

We sort of went through a period of less-carried for men in the 20th century, and have just returned to how things were before. In the early 20th century, trousers were used to carry a wallet, comb, perhaps a key or two. A few cigarettes in a slim art-deco chrome case if they smoked, and a thin book of matches. That was it. Before that, people carried a tinderbox, a packet of tobacco and pipe if they smoked, often a utility knife of some sort, travelling papers, a good bit of coins, and perhaps some provisions like hardtack or jerky. If they had a revolver or derringer, extra shot, caps, powder, and beeswax or some extra paper cartridges, too.

Now we carry car keys, a wallet with lots more in it than a few banknotes, a cellphone, maybe a PDA or iPod, flash drives, all of that. Realistically, a satchel or messenger bag is returning to our roots of carrying a lot of junk...without saggy, bulky pockets full of junk that look really, really bad for anyone.
Old September 3, 2007, 07:27 PM   #14
mes228

Man Bag

I have used a "Barbour" bag to carry essentials for some time. It's been adequate but nothing more. Recently I designed a mans shoulder bag that will carry any pistol, two magazines, pepper spray, folding knife in the main compartment. With two flap pockets on the front for emergency kit, first aid kit, and perhaps your check book etc. The bag is only 2" thick with the bellows front pockets to be 1" thick. The bag will have enough "body" to maintain it's shape. That is the great flaw of the "Barbour" I carry now - it's too "floppy" (even though I made a custom foam insert for the above mentioned items). I am having the prototype custom made and should have it in about 3-4 weeks. If it seems viable I'll have an order made and try to market a few. If anyone is interested in pictures, information, etc. just e-mail me off line at [email protected] and I'll send you some when the prototype is delivered. I've tried every type of carry conceivable and for me the shoulder bag is without question the way I want to go. I believe what I'm having made will out class everything I'm aware of. I am thinking about supplying the bag with the Survival tin issued to the British SAS, small First Aid Kit, in one front pocket. And 17% Pepper Spray, and a Benchmade, Cold Steel or other quality folder in the main compartment. If it's not a marketable item I'll just use the prototype for myself. Also it may have a zipper in the flap at the top of the bag for "instant" pistol access (flap comes half way down the front
of the bag and has 2 quick release military buckles). I felt that having to un-buckle the snaps might take too long in an emergency and thus the zipper allowing instant access to the pistol, magazines, knife, Pepper Spray in the main compartment. If this is an improper post I apologize.
Old September 3, 2007, 07:40 PM   #15
mattro

Quote:
'Wolf's and gunner's are about the only ones so far that don't scream I AM CARRYING A FIREARM!!!!!!!!
I wander how much of an issue that really is. Most of the general public "sheeple" have no idea about anything. Granted, if I have on 511 pants and 511 vest and black boots, that makes a real loud signal. But, I'm not too worried about people seeing a maxpedition jumbo pack and "know" that I am carrying.

I wonder if a gang banger getting ready to commit a crime thinks much about the maxpedition.

Maybe I am underestimating the importance of this??
Old September 3, 2007, 07:46 PM   #16
mountainclmbr

If I need to carry a "man bag" it would be a real man bag. Sometihing like a photographers Bogen tripod bag to carry the Mossy 500.
Old September 3, 2007, 08:05 PM   #17
cbr600

Quote:
If I need to carry a "man bag" it would be a real man bag. Sometihing like a photographers Bogen tripod bag to carry the Mossy 500.
At that point, you may as well carry a golf bag so you can choose between 12ga, 5.56mm and 30-06 depending on the shot.
Old September 3, 2007, 08:23 PM   #18
mountainclmbr

Quote:
At that point, you may as well carry a golf bag so you can choose between 12ga, 5.56mm and 30-06 depending on the shot.
Wow, great minds think alike! But, if I were carrying a golf bag I would just carry the Mossy 500 and the CZ550 375 H&H. The 375 is great for everything from chimpmunks to polar bears!

Living in the mountains in Colorado, the bears have been the biggest problem. Can you imagine the ridicule from neighbors if I cut firewood while pulling a golf bag behind me? It would not be as bad as wearing a man purse though!
Old September 3, 2007, 09:31 PM   #19
Thunderhawk88

Quote:
Can you imagine the ridicule from neighbors if I cut firewood while pulling a golf bag behind me? It would not be as bad as wearing a man purse though!
+1
Old September 3, 2007, 09:35 PM   #20
Molasses

Have the P7 in hand in the pic; there's a pocket running pretty much the height and width of the bag on the back side with a single small velcro fastener in the center to help keep it from gapping open.

About halfway between a messenger bag, laptop case and soft-side briefcase, IMO. Cost me something like $20 at the local Sportsman's Warehouse not too long ago on closeout. I figure between the kinda girlie look and the likelihood that the granola and Birkenstock crowd will recognize the Kelty name from backpacks/tents, the concerns that there's mebbe a gun in there will be minimized....even with the "scary biker dude" shaved head, long goatee and USMC tat on the shoulder.

Biggest problem is that my workplace is posted and I use this bag on a regular basis when walking there and back (1.5 miles each way). So, no gun in it most of the time. :barf: However, the bag also has plenty of room for lunch and a book for breaktime, safety glasses, MP3 player, batteries, cell phone, Surefire light, "dog spray" and a raincoat in case the weather goes sour for the trek home.
Old September 3, 2007, 09:46 PM   #21
rb4browns

The Rothco Bag

Manedwolf, does your pistol sit firmly in it's pocket where you store it in the bag? Can you post a pic of your gun in it? They are only $7 on some shop of off Froogle, so I may just get it, what the heck.
Old September 3, 2007, 10:36 PM   #22
redblair

Here's the web site for Camelbak's concealed carry bag, called the Goblin. You'll be able to shop at Whole Foods and no one would think anything!

http://www.camelbak.com/index.cfm

B

Dec. 15, 1791
Old September 3, 2007, 11:41 PM   #23
Manedwolf

Quote:
Manedwolf, does your pistol sit firmly in it's pocket where you store it in the bag? Can you post a pic of your gun in it? They are only $7 on some shop of off Froogle, so I may just get it, what the heck.
Yeah, I'll take a picture, and the gun isn't just in the bag by itself.

There's a flat pocket along the back of the compartment the gun is in. I bought a cheap nylon holster meant for the gun, one that has a clip for a belt. That's firmly clipped to the pocket inside the compartment, keeping it solidly in place. The gun goes in the holster, the holster stays put when the gun is drawn.
Old September 4, 2007, 12:26 AM   #24
BlindFaith

rb4browns

You're planning on CCW a S&W 642.
May I suggest trying another direction.
Check out Barami Hip Grips dot com.
Suitable for most modes of dress.
Tuxedo's to jeans.
Perfect for a J frame Smith.
Old September 4, 2007, 08:33 AM   #25
Wuchak

I think you should exhaust all possible on-body carry options before moving to something off-body. A 642 is not difficult to conceal but as you've already discovered the pocket holster will not work with all clothing.

You might also consider the SmartCarry http://www.smartcarry.com. A 642 in one will disappear in anything but spandex hot pants. With a little practice draw speed is the same as from a pocket.

There are also in waist band, on waistband, belly bands, and ankle holsters for your 642. All of these keep the gun where it belongs. On-your body. If you carry off body in a "man purse" the purse itself becomes a target for criminals. It also allows the possibility to forget it someplace. I can't even count the number of times my wife's purse has been left behind in restaurants, grocery stores, etc over the years even though she is used to carrying it and keeping track of it day in and day out for 20 years. (Fortunately it's always found its way home with all contents intact).

MHO on the subject of "man purse". No matter how you look at it there is no such thing. It's just a purse, it's not manly, it's no place for your gun.