The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 16, 2007, 09:25 PM   #51
BillCA

Quote:
Fishing expedition and the ubiquitous 'odor of marijuana' is built in probable cause and irrefutable.
It certainly is refutable - in court.

I can bring forth at least 5 witnesses who can testify to not only a lack of drug usage but to my attitude about being around those who do - even to the point of bodily throwing a person out of my home within 30 seconds of discovering their possession. *

Not only that, but the officer will likely be required to articulate every odor he noticed before and during contact. Did he detect tobacco odor (much more likely)? Did he detect the odor of hot vehicle fluids? How about antifreeze? (My vehicle emits that odor too). Was he sure it wasn't a cologne mixed with tobacco smoke?

I've discussed this whole thing with people who know me well -- well enough to know I don't use -- and what to do IF some case is built that cops detected an "odor" or found some small amount of drugs.

* I require no one use or possess illegal drugs in my home, car, etc. Mostly because I don't want legal hassles.
Old March 18, 2007, 12:24 PM   #52
FrankyCorleone

I'm young, I drive a 60,000 dollar car. I dress like a 'gangsta'. I tend to get pulled over and searched alot. I once got pulled over for having a suspicious looking vehicle, but then he quickly said I was swerving a bit.

Cops are always trying to find drugs or something. If I get pulled over for my seatbelt, they stick their head damn near in the car, trying to smell for something. I can't stand it. Typically it's a state trooper.

I almost was car jacked one time, and obviously CCW in maryland isn't much of a option. But I won't carry, simply because I'm constantly being pulled over

I understand my car is a attention getter but, get attention from the bad and the good alike.

I need to get a Honda apparently.

Gas prices are getting bad anyway.
Old March 18, 2007, 08:10 PM   #53
BillCA

Franky,

How you dress and what you drive is your choice. But remember the old adage -- if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and hangs around with other ducks... driving a lo-rider or expensive set of wheels while wearing baggy clothes and playing loud rap music makes it easier to make presumptions.

While it may be the "in" thing with young folks to dress "gangsta", remember it is this same group (young males up to age 25-30) that are typically involved in crime and cops tend to paint with a broad brush. In my day it was long hair, untucked (often tie-dyed) shirts and Birkenstocks. A number of us were always getting "hassled by the fuzz". My lesson came when I cut my hair and started wearing slacks instead of jeans. Same car, same music, different look -- and far fewer hassles. Even the few I had were much shorter and the cops a bit nicer.
Old March 21, 2007, 11:59 PM   #54
BanginMusket

I think you should always abide the law. It is for your own protection too. Carrying a gun is a big responsibility.

Old March 22, 2007, 08:03 PM   #55
Lee Lapin

Before NC started issuing carry permits, my wife worked with a group who taught women to safely use firearms for protection at home. She stopped when it became clear that many of the women going through the program intended to carry illegally.

Carry without a permit is still a misdemeanor in NC...

lpl/nc
Old April 4, 2007, 02:20 PM   #56
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

I think it's fairly common in Illinois. I would say there are a LOT more people carrying illegally in Illinois than there are people calling their representatives about getting CCW legalized.
Old April 4, 2007, 02:42 PM   #57
CALNRA

the women who wanted the training did so because in the vast majority of the 54 counties in California, self-defense is not a good enough reason for a CCW for an average citizen without serious connections.

The problem is not them, but the police(or rather, the police chiefs who make individual policies in his/her jurisdiction). simple as that.
Old April 5, 2007, 01:53 AM   #58
BillCA

+1 CALNRA,

California is a "may issue" state that gives CLEOs wide discretion in who gets a permit. In many jurisdictions you have to be "connected" to the CLEO in some way (i.e. reserve officer, major campaign contributor, business owner, etc.) to even be considered. Some CLEOs, such as former SJPD chief Robert MacNamara refused to issue any permits at all. Zero, zilch, nada.

Recently a California appellate court ruled that refusing to issue permits at all is a violation of state law -- "refusal to issue is not the same as exercising discretion" -- and agencies are now supposed to accept applications.

In California, the issuance rate is far below 2% of the population (actually, it's closer to 0.2%) and a majority of those are for reserve police officers, security/protection agents and the like.
Old April 5, 2007, 08:15 AM   #59
Duxman

Like everything in life - as long as you are prepared for the consequences of your actions - before you act on them - go ahead and do it.

Thank goodness I live in Virginia where getting a permit is not that difficult - as long as you are not a criminal. So its easy to follow the law.

But for those of us who are not so lucky to live in a shall issues state: Consequence of being caught with an illegal CC weapon - jail time, loss of your current weapons, and future buying.

Consequence of getting killed because you did not carry a weapon but needed it: DEATH.

You decide.
Old April 5, 2007, 08:25 AM   #60
AirForceShooter

Remember a little while back some guy in New York City tried to start a rally for people that carried without a CCW?
The last estimate I heard was there are 500,000 people CCWing in NYC without authorization.
Common isn't the word.
I'm so glad I'm in Florida and legal now.

AFS