The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 3, 2000, 10:10 PM   #1
BigMike

I'm looking for a simple, inexpensive(but not cheap), utilitarian lockblade knife. The blade has to be less than 4 inches, as I intend to carry it on me where ever I go. It can have a clip on it, but I will probably just put it in my pocket. I have seen some from Benchmade that I like, but would like opinions on others. Thanks,

Mike
Old October 4, 2000, 05:16 AM   #2
Lightfighter

I think you would like the Columbia River M16 series. They are very nice, lots-a knife but not really too much dough...

You can pick on up at my website for less than I have seen other places and I will ship it to you for FREE!
www.Lightfighter.com

Bradley Nelson
President, Lightfighter.com
[email protected]

Old October 4, 2000, 08:16 AM   #3
SA Scott

I'd cast a vote for the Gerber LST. Not very sexy, but it's been my utility/pocket knife for about 10 years. I'm still a happy camper.

SA Scott
Old October 4, 2000, 09:22 AM   #4
TaxPhd

Some excellent, affordable knives:

Spyderco:

Endura 3 3/4" blade $45
Delica 2 7/8" $40
Native 3" $44

Columbia River:

M16-04 3 3/4" blade $45
M16-12 3" $40

Lots of great knives out there, by a number of different makers. I have a Benchmade AFCK that I use for everything. About $80, but maybe a little larger than what you are looking for.

Let me know if you need contact information for these prices.

------------------
TaxPhd

"Those who live by the sword are probably pretty f***ing good at it."

"Instructions for a successful gunfight: Front Sight, Press Trigger, repeat
as necessary." - B. Braxton

[This message has been edited by TaxPhd (edited October 04, 2000).]
Old October 4, 2000, 10:03 AM   #5
Mikul

I have a Gerber EZ-out in ATS-34 that I'm quite happy with. It hasn't loosened up even though I occasionally use it for prying (I know I'll be executed by the knife guys for that), and the blade stays sharp. I like to keep it near razor sharp (because I can), and only need to sharpen it every 3 weeks. The less anal among you could go a LOT longer.

I paid around $34.
Old October 4, 2000, 10:42 AM   #6
jfrancis

I bought a little Kershaw for the same purposes. Very light, extremely sharp and very quick opening. Paid $35. Had rubber grips inserts on an aluminm handle.

Unfortunately I lost the thing two weeks later........
Old October 4, 2000, 08:58 PM   #7
Bill Daniel

Mike: I second Columbia River M16. I have had a tanto blade for several years. Smooth opening but not loose and holds a great edge.
All the best,
Bill Daniel

------------------
Prosecute criminals to the fullest extent of the law and their weapons will become harmless.
Old October 5, 2000, 10:53 AM   #8
Fred

Third the M16. I have an M16-03 and love it. great knife for the price, and an easy opener for this right-minded (left-handed) person!

------------------
Regards - AZFred

Old October 5, 2000, 03:17 PM   #9
Benjamin

Cold Steel anyone? The 3" voyager Tanto has served me well for 2 years.
http://www.coldsteel.com
Old October 6, 2000, 05:51 PM   #10
ohen cepel

I like the Benchmade stuff. Used one HARD for 18 months in Korea and it is still going strong.
I wouldn't bad mouth the others. I'm sure there are good knives out there for less $.
Go with what you like.

------------------
He who dares wins.
NRA Life Memeber
Old October 6, 2000, 09:59 PM   #11
guerilla1138

well i am a total un-reformable knife nut and here is my kinda humble opinion.
spyderco, cant go wrong with the endura. or any of the others.
COLUBIA RIVER KNIFE AND TOOL, notice the caps? these are great knives, none of them over 100 or so bucks.
cold steel, reliable, sharper than $@*&^ when they are fresh out of the box.
benchmade. nice knives, no using experiance but i have seen them and like them.
buck. makes some fine working folders. the 112 and 110 models can easily have a clip attached. i have done this to a couple and its not hard.

now if you are looking to spend over 100 bucks.
EMERSON KNIVES, hard use tactical knives, but also suitable for everyday working carry. i love my commander. www.emersonknives.com

i reccomend them hands down.
if you dont mind spending 140 to 200 on a knife that is going to be used then theses are the knives for you.
Old October 6, 2000, 10:39 PM   #12
Coronach

For all your Knife Knut questions/fantasies... www.bladeforums.com

It's TFL's sister site.

A few comments on the selections already named:

Columbia River: I have zero experience with them. I think I heard that they make 'knockoffs,' but darned GOOD knockoffs. Dunno if there is any truth to that or not.

Gerber: Decent, priced right. Their quality is lower than the others mentioned, but...well...how much knife do you need, really? My dad is a scoutmaster and used his Gerber a lot, for years, and its still cutting stuff.

Spyderco: on the price/quality curve, its hard to beat Spyderco. Sure, others might make better stuff, but it costs WAAAAY more. they have a nice selection. Sal Glesser is just an all-around nice guy, too. If you have a problem, Spydie's customer service department will fix it.

Benchmade: I find them to be overshadowed by Spyderco. Their quality is about the same, but Spydercos can be had for less. Usually a lot less if you shop around. ALSO: if you like keeping the finish on your knives, avoid the Benchmade black-ti finish. It flakes off ENTIRELY too easily. Plus, their customer service department seems to be run by former DMV flunkies.

Emerson: no experience with them, but word is they're top shelf (and priced accordingly)

Kershaw: no experience, heard mixed reviews.

Cold Steel: *sigh* Their advertising seems to be done by PT Barnum with a health dose of National Inquirer. Seriously mind-bogglingly bizare stupid overblown hype. I mean...wow. Insanely grandiose posturing about how their products are The Best and Revolutionary and Nobody Else Comes Close. Sorry...utter crap. However, they make a decent product at a decent price. I just wish they'd have the humility to say the truth: "Hey, we know others out there make better stuff...but ours is pretty darned good too and it costs 1/4 as much. You do the math."

One not mentioned:

REKAT (Round Eye Knife and Tool)

They make some seriously tough knives. SERIOUSLY tough. If you want big, look at the 'Carnivour' I have one, it's incredible. If you want smaller, try the Pioneer. If you want Jumbo, think Sifu. www.rekat.com ... and don't let the MSRP fool you, they can be had for less...though they're above $100, usually.

My votes?

Spyderco Endura or Delica if you're on a budget or the REKAT Pioneer or Carnie if you want to drop some loot, or need a knife that can take a LOT of abuse.

Mike

------------------
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old October 7, 2000, 12:23 AM   #13
bedlamite

All these fancy names and high prices ... just go get a Buck with the composite handle and 3 1/4" drop point blade for $20. I've abused one at work for the past three years. It holds an edge much, much longer than my Spyderco did, and I my broke Gerber the blade tip almost right away, It's still sitting in my toolbox at work waiting for some quality grinder time.

------------------
NRA, GOA
"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice"-Neil Peart
Vote in November.
Old October 7, 2000, 11:45 AM   #14
TaxPhd

Coronach,

"knockoff" wouldn't be the right word to describe CRKT's offerings. What they have are authorized collaborations with well known makers to offer production versions of the custom makers high priced custom knives. A Kit Carson custom M-16 may go for several hundred $, while a CRKT authorized M-16 will go for $50. What a deal!!

------------------
TaxPhd

"Those who live by the sword are probably pretty f***ing good at it."

"Instructions for a successful gunfight: Front Sight, Press Trigger, repeat
as necessary." - B. Braxton
Old October 7, 2000, 04:36 PM   #15
SA Scott

Went to the San Antonio SAXET gun show today. After looking around, I bought a CRKT Mirage from High Plains for $25 + tax. I'm very impressed so far. Of course, the friend i was with carries a Benchmade Elishewitz I'd give a *** for, but he spent a bit more the $25.

SA Scott
Old October 8, 2000, 07:03 PM   #16
Sling Shot

BigMike: Have you considered other knives besides lockbacks. One of the strongest folding knife designs on the market right now are the Axis lock models made by Benchmade. These are not liner locks, but they still can be opened and closed with one hand. Just stay away from the black coated models as someone else suggested because the finish is not durable.

My favorite lockbacks would have to be Spyderco Police model in stainless or G10, Syderco Enduras or Delicas, or the Buck 110 models.

Old October 9, 2000, 03:06 PM   #17
OF

I carry a Spyderco Calypso Jr., serrated, with the Micarta handle that I love to death. It's just right for everyday stuff. I also just ordered, as in 5 minutes ago, one of the new Caron Fiber tanto half-and-half M16's from Columbia River. It's a little bigger and meaner than the Calypso Jr., more like an Emerson CQC-7. It'll be a defensive blade, not a workhorse.

If you're shopping around, try www.onestopknifeshop.com . They have by far the best prices I've ever seen, tons of gear avaiable and the 2 times I've had call them a real human answered and was prompt, courteous, competent and respectful. The Carbon M16 ran me $57 plus $5 shipping. This M16 is my first blade ordered from them, so take it all with a grain, but there you have it.

- gabe

[This message has been edited by GRD (edited October 09, 2000).]
Old October 11, 2000, 09:53 AM   #18
Gunfighter

I have carried the following on and off duty-
Spyderco Delica
BM Mel Pardue
CRKT M-16
BM CQC-7
Emerson CQC-7
And the winner is BM AFCK. I love this knife and plan to stay with it. Did a lot of research and settled on this. $76 from Cheaper than Dirt.

------------------
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.
Old October 11, 2000, 10:13 PM   #19
Coronach

At present I carry, on duty, a Spyderco Rescue on my gear bag and a REKAT Carnivour on my person. Off-duty I usually have my BM AFCK and a Buck triple folder.

All four get the job done, but as I mentioned before, Spyderco hits the sweet spot on the cost/quality curve.

Mike

------------------
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old October 13, 2000, 03:23 AM   #20
Bennett Richards

Hands down the winner is the Emerson Commander. The wave feature makes this THE fastest opening knife there is. Even faster than an automatic. GREAT design and well made.

Ben
Old October 13, 2000, 06:25 AM   #21
jfrancis

My personal favorite is also the Emerson Commander. However, I just picked up a Kershaw Avalanche with the Ken Onion assisted opening feature. WOW - is this thing fast! For the price (~$85) it's an excellent all around choice for daily carry.
Old October 13, 2000, 09:05 AM   #22
Guyon

A while back, Smoky Mountain Knife Works had Spyderco Standards and Spyderco Rookies on close-out for around 40 bucks each. A steal in my opinion. I ordered one of both in plain edge. They are perfect little knives for everyday carry. They feature G10 scales and ATS-55 steel.

I have numerous Spydercos and recommend them highly. Check out the Wegner and Wegner Jr. (if you can find one...the Jrs. are discontinued).

------------------
Guyon
NRA, GOA, & TFA Member
Vote for your rights!!!
Old October 15, 2000, 02:44 PM   #23
Normalizer

I bought a Gerber Chameleon at my local Target dept store, walmart sells them too, for around $25 which included a belt holster as well. Lockback, thumb stud for quick opening, and a thumb hole for securely holding it when opening. I love mine though I wish it weren't serrated.

A lot of knife for a little money. It's both a work and self defense tool for me, and I'm very happy with it.