The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 6, 2013, 02:15 PM   #1
abeckSWMP

Florida hog hunting

I'm attempting to find some property to hunt hogs. I just moved to the pan handle of Florida for EOD school. I'm hoping that I can find some property to go out on the weekends and relax after the stressful week of school. If anyone knows of anyone with property that is trying to get rid of hogs please let me know.

Thanks all
Old January 6, 2013, 04:06 PM   #2
FALPhil

There is quite a bit of National Forest land in and near the panhandle. The forest rangers would love for you to cull some hogs.

IIRC, you must have a Florida sprtsman's/hunting licence even though hogs are not a game animal in Florida
Old January 6, 2013, 07:36 PM   #3
Doyle

Eglin and Tyndall AFBs both have hunting opportunities.
Old January 7, 2013, 02:43 PM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

They may or not have weekend hog hunting opportunities after deer season close. I haven't heard yet... private land is harder to find.
More after work... phone replies not so fun.
Brent
Old January 9, 2013, 09:27 AM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

So with some free time and a keyboard...

None of the WMA's I am aware of have year around, unfettered hog hunting. Blackwater (and a couple others perhaps) realize a hog population situation...

They offered some weekend hog hunting days last summer...

Private land is harder to gain written permission on but if you do find some land owners willing to let you hunt, they did away with "gun and light at night" restrictions for hog hunting on private land...

We can now do this without special permitting... But keep your ducks in a row as you may be explaining yourself to a deputy or game cop... the written permission must be in your possession while hunting private lands...

And don't shoot no runnin' dogs as there are quite a few hog doggers in the area...

We don't consider our dogs worth feeding sometimes but if one gets shot, it and all future possible offspring will be valued north of $10,000 each...

Brent

Tags
florida , hog , hunt , pig , rifle