The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 23, 2010, 03:00 AM   #1
jborushko

do you change carry methods???

I change between a shoulder holster and a 5 o'clock inside the waistband holster primarily. i've been know to carry my sp101-with bobbed hammer- in my back pocket, as a back up. sometimes a 3 o'clock outside the waistband(1911), very rairly.

i even change guns for my main carry either 1911, sp101, cz2075RAMI, or PF9 - however for this argument ill keep with my MAIN weapon as a 1911 which a carry in either the shoulder rig or at the 5 o'clock inside the waistband, and sometimes rarely the 3 o'clock outside though thats only when im working at the gunsmith.

?????????does anybody else do this?????????

i train both ways continually and fell confident to present myself accordingly to a situation should it arise
Old January 23, 2010, 09:14 AM   #2
45Gunner

My primary gun and method of carry is a Kimber Stainless Pro Carry in a Galco strong side belt holster.

The only reason I vary this is two fold: 1. The style of dress, whether it be for weather or the occasion, and 2. The environment of the field of operations.

If I am going to a function that requires either a suit or sport jacket, I will switch to a Galco Jackass Shoulder Rig as the belt holster will print when the jacket is buttoned, the shoulder holster does not. The other reason I will change my primary style of carry is the hot and humid weather of South Florida. At times, it is so hot and humid that only the very minimal of clothing, shorts and a t-shirt are comfortable so I switch to a belly bag and I carry either a Glock 36 or a Kimber Ultra Carry CDP II.

On those rare occasions that I go into a muddy, jungle like environment or a sandy desert, I switch guns to my
H & K USP Compact. I'm not concerned about concealment when that happens and I have my gun on the strong side in a Blackhawk Retention Holster.
NRA Life Member
Old January 23, 2010, 11:00 AM   #3
Straightshooter629

My mode of carry rarely changes because my daily carry weapon rarely changes, regardless of weather. I always carry my Rossi 462 either in a Don Hume belt slide or a Galco paddle,with a Beltman belt, but always crossdraw at the 10:00 o'clock position. Because of my size (6'/260 lbs.) I can get away with that. Even in the summer, all I need to conceal my rig is a heavyweight, untucked t-shirt. When I'm dressed "lightly", I carry two Bianchi quickstrips in a acumold pouch that fit well on my belt or even in a back pocket, just like a wallet. When I'm wearing a coat or jacket, I go with two HKS speed loaders in a dual leather carrier. The only time this varies is when I'm doing my personal protection or security gigs. The Rossi goes to back-up duty in an ankle holster and I switch to my XD40 as my primary weapon.
Old January 23, 2010, 11:26 AM   #4
RickE

jborushko... off subject, how do you like the RAMI? I liked it until I saw the width of it. It looked as if it would have been a good IWB carry. Too fat for that.
Old January 23, 2010, 11:40 AM   #5
Doc Intrepid

My mode of carry varies depending on what I'm doing.

If I'm on a cross-country motorcycle trip, I have a pistol in an outer jacket pocket where I can get at it with the jacket zipped up. Even when I stop for gas, etc., I seldom unzip the jacket all the way (unless I'm taking it off). Either way, an IWB holster is tough to access when the jacket is zipped up, and an IWB pistol is revealed if I remove the jacket altogether. So I pocket carry.

If I'm on a cross-country trip in a vehicle I tend to use a shoulder holster. It doesn't hamper wearing a seatbelt, and if I need to use a restroom the holster isn't down around my ankles.

Most other times I use a Milt Sparks IWB holster.

It comes down to being "task organized"...

Old January 23, 2010, 12:58 PM   #6
jborushko

well im glad in not the only person who changes it up, though its contrary to what ive hear other people say "you shouldnt change your mode of carry, because in a situation you rely on muscle memory to react"... i feel that along as you practice with what you have and how you carry, you cant go wrong

RickE,

i love it. all the function ability of the full size cz - infact the 14round mags come with finger pad making the grip the normal size of a standard cz.

100% reliable, and small enough to hide easily. if you havent seen/held it in person try to before you make the determination "its too wide" as its JUST the same grip thickness than a 1911 with standard grips and slightly thinner than a 1911 with crimson trace grips. normally i carry a 4" commander 1911 with crimson trace grips- and i prefer something a little wider anyway--- i carry that 1911 commander IWB
Old January 23, 2010, 02:15 PM   #7
CWPinSC

I don't. At first, I had about 5 different possible carry pieces. I narrowed it down to one main (98%) carry piece. For me, I've come to the conclusion that the best way is to carry the same gun in the same place. That way, you don't have to remember which gun you have, how it operates, and how many rounds it holds. Carrying in the same place, in the same way, means you don't have to remember where it is in an emergency.
Old January 23, 2010, 02:38 PM   #8
NWCP

I attempt to keep my pistols in the same location. The only time that would vary is if clothing/weather calls for a pocket pistol. By doing so it is my intent that muscle memory will take my hand to the same position while under stress. I also attempt to use a similar holster with the same cant for whichever pistol I am carrying.
Old January 23, 2010, 07:35 PM   #9
The Great Mahoo

I don't switch much, or atleast very drastically.

I carry strong side, either IWB or OWB. I swap between my Sp101 and Glock 36, but stay up with both.
Old January 28, 2010, 09:01 PM   #10
biohazurd

Seeing as i have a wide variety of handguns for carry i use multiple forms of carry as well, On any givin day i could have a main carry(Colt 1911 Gov, or Combat commander, Glock 17, BHP, Ruger Sp101 3" ect...) strong side IWB or OWB, Main carry in shoulder holster or main carry in Cross draw, I also usually carry a Bug, Bersa .380, S&W 637, CZ-82/83 in cross draw, (If not occupied already), or week side carry... I also often have a KT P32 or a NAA black widow in an ankle holster. These are the most common ways that i carry but Im sure there are others that are good also...
Old January 28, 2010, 10:48 PM   #11
FM12

As a plain clothes investigator (full time LEO) I've started carrying two full sized sidearms: A Sig 226/40S&W in a Galco shoulder holster and a 1911 .45 in a stong side
Serpa, both uually covered by a vest or jacket. Might vary and wear only one,and depends on how I feel that day as to whcih one I carry. I really like two full sized handgun,though. Dont want to die for lack of shooting back!!
Old January 29, 2010, 05:35 PM   #12
cycleguru

I've carried the same way for the last dozen years or so; under my left arm in a Kramer gun shirt. That's all about to change, though, as I've ordered a Crossbreed Super Tuck IWB holster. Everybody raves about them so I decided to give one a try. My current carry pistol is an XD9 sub compact.