The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 12, 2009, 09:24 PM   #1
Jeffenwulf

Best .223 bullet weight for 1-7/1-8 twist

Hello all, I've got a SIG 556 with a 1-7" twist and a Charles Daly Defense DV-24 with a 1-8" twist. Since right now I've got a piece of brass stuck in the die because I didn't use enough lube, I've got time to figure out just what I want to load into all that brass I've got laying around.

The 556 is the holosight version and I basically just like screwing around with it. Accuracy isn't necessarily at the top of my list, but could be a nice if I ever bothered to shoot more than 50 yards out with it. The CDD has a 24" match barrel and a 1-8" twist along with a completely garish 8.5-25x50mm scope sitting on top. That one needs to be somewhat accurate at 200 yards or so. I'm not really concerned with anything further than that right now.

My question is this, they're both pretty rapid twists and seem to be good matches for heavier bullets. I'm also generally a fan of bigger/heavier is better. What bullets might I look for that would be suitable for both of those yet still be able to feed from the mag? I'd also appreciate it if they could be effective on deer/boar/intruder. If it's match only or small varmint only I'm not really interested.

I understand that a .223 isn't made for large game. I also know that I'm issued a weapon that fires M193 or M855 ammo and it's supposed to be able to knock people down. I have heavier rifles already, but I'm starting to grow fond of these little guns that I used to make such derogatory comments about. I'm not about to go elk hunting with one, but I'd like it to have a bit of oomph. I'll probably end up just buying a lot of the same bullet and loading variations for both. Opinions welcome.
Old March 12, 2009, 09:34 PM   #2
a7mmnut

You should be able to really drill those big 60-75 gr. pills with that tube! My little 16" Oly is 1 in 8", and really loves both 55 and 62's. Post some targets if you get time. -7-
Old March 12, 2009, 09:39 PM   #3
firewrench044

77 gr is what you are asking for
they are for mag. length
Old March 12, 2009, 09:49 PM   #4
hodaka

My two 8 twists like Sierra 77's and Berger 73's, but they also like Sierra and Hornady 52's. Lots of loads to play with, isn't there?
Old March 13, 2009, 09:13 PM   #5
ForneyRider

I shoot 40-75gr in 1:9 twist.

77gr SMK and 80gr SMK and Berger are recommended in 1:8 and faster twist. The 90gr have been less than spectacular even in 1:6.5 twist.

I hear lots of good things about 77gr SMK with 1:8 and 1:7 barrels. Shooting Times has a new article on military's gunsmiths making long distance shooters and using the 77gr SMK.
Old March 15, 2009, 09:32 AM   #6
Jeffenwulf

Bumping back to first page. Just hoping that there are more opinions out there about this. I'd like to be educated on the subject since I had been considering heavy A-Max bullets but have read that they're too long to feed from a magazine. If anyone has experience with the heavier bullets that still work with 30 in a magazine I'd love to hear it.
Old March 15, 2009, 11:00 AM   #7
amamnn

Depending upon the range I like Berger 73 gr. boattails or Berger 64 gr. flat based bullets. Sierras are very good too, but they don't make a heavy flat based bullet in matchkings to compete with the Berger.
Old March 15, 2009, 12:01 PM   #8
rrp

I have a 1-7 twist ar and have had problems with 55 gr sp bullets breaking apart before they reach the target. I had no problems with fmj rounds though. I have since started using 69 gr hornady bthp match and have had excellent results. I haven't used them for hunting but if I were to hunt with the rifle I would use something about the same weight in a sp.