The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 21, 2009, 07:34 PM   #1
jdscholer

40 gr. V-Max / .222 Rem. Range Test

I finally got some of the 40 grain V-Max Hornady's loaded and grouped in my 222 Rem. ADL. My rifle has a 24" (including chamber) barrel, with a 1 in 14" twist. It's seen better days, and many thousands of shots, but it will still shoot. My scope is a Leupold 3x9, and I just installed new two piece Leupold bases and rings.

I loaded 5, 5 shot groups using my old stock of BLC-2 powder (like 20 yrs. old). Powder weights were graduated from 23.0 gr. to 27.0 gr. -full to the brim. Primers were CCI 450's, and cases were brand new Winchesters full length sized and chamfered.

Range was 100 yds. (with rangefinder) with sandbags on my portable shooting bench. Wind was -- bad, but I was able to set up shooting almost directly with it. I shot enough practice/sight in shots to get on target, and then shot my groups. Spaced my shots to keep the barrel warm, but not hot.

When done, I was pleased with the results, considering the shooting conditions. The groups measured .856, 1.246", 1.001", .883", and .946" respectively. None were as small as .5" which this rifle will sometimes do, but all were decent, and over-all very consistent. Measurements were center to center.

BLC powder works great in this cartridge, as does H335. According to my manual, the top load I had is goin about 3400 fps, which is pretty good for 222 and the reason I wanted to try these little guys. The fired cases showed no signs of high pressure even with the top loads.

The only downside to them in my rifle is the long tapered profile which requires me to seat them very deep so as to fit in the magazine.

Overall, I'd say I like these bullets, and they've been offered on some pretty good sales lately. jd
Old February 21, 2009, 11:26 PM   #2
Prince55

Thanks for all the info. I like the .222 also and noticed BLC-2 does real well.
Old February 22, 2009, 12:01 AM   #3
butta9999

I cant get the v max too shoot out of my .222 rem 788. They are hopeless for me.

My best load is 52gr sierra H/P with 25 gr of win748 and win prmers.

Usually group around .75MOA, not bad for a 30yr old gun.

Might try your receipe though, working up of course.
Old February 22, 2009, 01:22 PM   #4
jdscholer

Quote:
I cant get the v max too shoot out of my .222 rem 788. They are hopeless for me.
Yeah, I've always had best accuracy with bullets in the 50 gr. area, but I wanted to try some of the lighter "barn burner" types. I started with the Barnes 36 gr Varmint Grenades, but didn't do too well. (gonna use them in my Bee)

I'm using the BLC mainly because I had a bunch given to me, but it is --ancient. I won't try those maximum loads with new stuff without working up. My latest favorite powder with this gun is H335. It is almost identical to BLC, but seems a little cleaner. Both of these powders go through the measure like a dream, I think more accurately than a guy could weigh charges. I don't ever see myself going back to long grain powders except for the big stuff; and even for those there might be an alternative. jd
Old February 22, 2009, 11:21 PM   #5
butta9999

That is one thing i find with the 748 powder, very very dirty.