The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 22, 2011, 10:29 AM   #1
gunbuddy210

Shotgun slugs

I have a Marlin Goose for years, first thing I was told was NO SLUGS. I assumed the 36in smooth bore was the reason, What other s/guns are not good for slugs and why.
Old May 22, 2011, 01:31 PM   #2
jmortimer

The only reason you could not or should not shoot a rifled slug in a smooth bore is the choke being so restricted to create a dangerous situation. Not sure why you could not shoot a rifled slug unless it has an extra full choke but you need to follow manufacturer directions. Try Dixie Slugs Tri-Ball, it will kill anything on earth.

Last edited by jmortimer; May 22, 2011 at 05:06 PM.
Old May 22, 2011, 01:36 PM   #3
mete

It probably has a full choke and really shouldn't be used with slugs. If you only wanted it for slug purposes you could shorten the barrel therefore removing the choke .
Old May 22, 2011, 02:53 PM   #4
zippy13

It probably has a full choke…
…a very full choke if it's a typical goose gun.
Old May 22, 2011, 05:46 PM   #5
mete

very full ? it's even more so if it's choked for lead shot . My Benelli with STEEL shot and MOD choke gives me a EXTRA EXTRA FULL pattern !!
That's because steel doesn't deform and the cup is extra thick .
Lesson --always pattern your ammo !
My solution was to think turkey and head shots and I was very successful that way.
Old May 22, 2011, 06:01 PM   #6
highvel

Mossberg 3-1/2 chamber barrels are over-bored, I don't know about the 3".
I think that's the reason behind not shooting slugs in them, you may not achieve a proper gas seal,or may induce excessive yaw,could be dazed and confused though:rolleyes

"I have opinions of my own 'strong opinions' but I don't always agree with them."--George Bush
Old May 22, 2011, 09:31 PM   #7
.45 COLT

A Mossberg 12 Gauge Model 835 is overbored to .775". Don't shoot a slug from one of them - a chance of the slug getting sideways in the bore and possibly sticking.

As far as the Goose Gun goes, The only choke claim for them I've ever seen is Full Choke. That's 0.40" of constriction. Any Foster rifled slug can be fired through a full choke with no problems. I've seen a measurement of 0.695" for the choke on a Goose Gun, which would indicate a slight overbore from the 0.729" nominal bore size to 0.735", not enough to pose any danger from firing slugs.

DC
Old May 23, 2011, 01:55 AM   #8
bamaranger

common misinformation

Its not unusual to hear "no slugs" in reference to full choke. But measurements and metallurgy will allow it. Common Foster slugs rattle down the bore of most 12 ga's anyhow. They will clatter through the choke and go their merry way.

Not recommended for accuracy, but in most cases, possible and safe. Only thing I can think of is if somebody pressed/sleeved a choke tube in the gun that is absurdly tight. But a factory, fixed, full choke will handle a slug, though likely not w/ best accuracy.
Old May 23, 2011, 08:16 AM   #9
Mr Phil

This will work

Brenneke USA Black Magic Short Magnum Ammunition 12 Gauge 2-3/4" 1 oz Lead Rifled Slug will work in any type of barrel - rifled or smooth and are very accurate in a smooth bore and hard hitting
Old May 23, 2011, 08:53 AM   #10
viking1977

Remington Model 11

I have a Remington Model 11. Shells are not chambering. I can manually chamber the first round fine. Spent shells eject when the shotgun cycles but the next round doesn't chamber and jams. It seems like the round is not getting kicked up into the receiver. Any ideas what my problem is and how I fix it.

Thanks
Old May 23, 2011, 09:33 AM   #11
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Viking, there's a couple things to do, some of which are for a smith.

First, some 11s were chambered for ammo shorter than what we use now. A smith can tell by measuring the chamber, and while he/she has it, have them deep clean the action. Browning designs are famously overbuilt, but tolerances are tight and there's lots of little parts in there. While you're at it, have the smith install new springs and friction pieces,keep the old ones as spares. Browning A5 parts will interchange, at least these will but not others.

Inside the forearm wood is probably a diagram of how the friction pieces go together for loads of various power. If not there. mayhap someone here will post a link.

Once running, stick to 2 3/4" ammo.These are not magnums but are fine old workhorse shotguns.

HTH...