The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 21, 2001, 12:56 PM   #1
imq707s

What Shotgun to buy?

I don't own a shotgun, just a few rifles. But recently I've been doing some bird hunting and I've just been borrowing some friends guns. I've decided that I need to just go out and buy one. I'm looking for a 12ga. pump that will be reliable and not cost an arm and a leg. I would also like it to be able to hold more than 3 or 4 shells. I like the shorter barreled turkey guns. I will mostly use this gun for hunting,clays, and maybe home defence if the situation ever comes up. What would be a good reliable, inexpensive (under $300) gun for me?
Old June 21, 2001, 01:12 PM   #2
Bud1

With that price limitation, your top choices will be a Winchester 1300 or a Remington 870.

Take a look at both of them, and go with the one that "feels" the best.

Now (drum roll)
Stand back and watch the "Remington versus Winchester" debate rage>>>

Bud
Old June 21, 2001, 03:16 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

No debate here, both the Winchester and the celebrated Remington 870 will fill the bill, tho I'm partial to the latter.

One of the less expensive Express 870 models is a Turkey Model, with 21" bbl and set up for tube chokes. I believe it only comes with one an Extra Full tube for turkey. The other Remchokes are not expensive, and an open choke like a Skeet or IC and a Modified tube will have you set for anything flying, including clays. And, once you work with a bead sight enough to be sure, slug hunting for deer at moderate distances is not difficult.

And while lots of us like "Serious" shotguns to have a magazine to the muzzle, 4 shots of 12 ga ammo will handle most every crisis nicely, in trained hands.

WARNING: Most folks that get 870s find it addicting....
Old June 21, 2001, 03:51 PM   #4
tyro

Quote:
WARNING: Most folks that get 870s find it addicting.... - Dave McC
After buying one, I found I wanted another . So now I have both 20 gauge and 12 gauge versions of the 870, and would not part with either.
Old June 21, 2001, 06:21 PM   #5
Dave R

Just to be contrary, I like the Mossberg 835 for one reason. The safety is under your thumb where it's supposed to be for quick access, not at the front of the trigger guard where results may be less sure when under the stress of a big flush.

Mine (turkey model) has the shorter barrel (20" or 22"?) and holds 6 X 2 3/4 shells. Not sure about other models. Price on the 835 Turkey was about $260

I must admit, though, that I like the feel and balance of the 870 I tried more than the 835. Apples & oranges, though. Shorter barrel and longer magazine will change the balance.
Old June 21, 2001, 08:59 PM   #6
rugerfreak

Walmart here has a Mossberg 500 Turkey for $234---short barrel---full camo----ported barrel----drilled and tapped for a scope---tang safety---turkey tube---and holds 6 shells. Sounds like this fits your requirements. Just have to get a couple extra choke tubes for hunting.
Old June 22, 2001, 06:37 AM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Thanks, Tyro, the 5 870s here are nigh certain to have more 870 company soon.Got a line on a classic field model, mid 50s, plain Full bbl, good wood and 98% condition. Inexpensive also.

Dave R, balance is quite subjective. Pop loved his old Savage O/U. To me, it carried like a post hole digger and swung like a RR tie. But it was to Pop what Zorro's rapier was to Don Diego.

Frankenstein, without the bbl weight it's now wearing, swings beautifully for quail and so on. That 21" bbl is balanced by all the wood hogged out from the stock. It balances at the front of the loading port,weighs a hair over 7 lbs, and serves well.Goose loads and those $%^&* turkey loads fired through it get your attention, but I don't feel much kick,if any, firing at live game.

The Mossy safety IS well placed, but the 870's safety may take another 10 minutes of familiarization. Big deal,huh?
Old June 26, 2001, 07:56 AM   #8
David Scott

Rugerfreak, I saw that same deal here in Florida. Seemed like a heck of a deak. I'm maneuvering for wifely agreement on this one now.
"As I looked at my two young sons, each with his gun, and considered how much the safety of the party depended on these little fellows, I felt grateful to you, dear husband, for having acquainted them in childhood with the use of firearms."

-- Elisabeth Robinson, in The Swiss Family Robinson by Johann Wyss