The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 12, 2001, 01:51 PM   #1
VTR996

Cheek weld for savage stock?

Is there anything a fellow can do to a stock to get a higher cheek weld? I have a 111GL .308,the gun shoots great but it don't fit as well as I'd like.

I'm not much of a woodworker,anything on the market besides a new stock? I've looked through the pac. catalog and didn't see anything for it. How much is reasonable to pay a smith to do it?
Old December 12, 2001, 03:04 PM   #2
Jim Watson

You can get a stick-on plastic comb extension from Brownells.
Or a lace-on leather pad from Cabellas. Or an elastic pad from them or others. Not fancy, but I have seen a good number on $3000 Sharps for BPCR target shooting. A trapshooter's stockmaker could install a "split comb" kit that would give you full adjustment of comb height, and lateral placement, too. The gap between the comb and the butt may look funny, but it is on a bunch of $14,000 Kreighoffs, etc. Ask around at a trap or skeet club.
Old December 13, 2001, 04:09 PM   #3
Lefty

Go to www.natchezss.com and do a search on "cheek" or "Kick-Eze". They sell this sort of oval shaped closed-cell rubber (like a mouse pad) with adhesive backing in 3 or 4 different thicknesses. Go for ~$8 each. Some even shape and make their own from blank PC mouse pads.