The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 22, 2013, 08:53 PM   #1
G-town Hunter

Remington 550-1 action Makeover

I have a Remington 550-1 that my wife's grandfather gave to me. It has to be one of the.... If not the most accurate .22 i have ever shot!, but It keep misfeeding and stove piping, and failing to extract. I love this rifle as much as one can love a rifle and it means a lot to me for sentimental reasons. Is it possible for a gunsmith to do a complete overhaul on the action and everything to make it shoot like new again?

Last edited by G-town Hunter; May 22, 2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old May 23, 2013, 12:11 AM   #2
viciouskitty

How clean is it? Those rifles have a floating chamber in order to work with shorts, longs and long rifles. I have one myself, you could have crud built up in your chamber or your recoil spring could be worn out. I'd just do a spring overhaul and a good deep cleaning just to see what that does. My gun is amazing my grandfather bought it for me at an auction and its a gun that I will never sell.
Old May 23, 2013, 12:12 AM   #3
Scorch

Not trying to hurt your feelings, but any rebuilding of a 550-1 would end up costing more than a new rifle. Go buy a 10/22 or a Model 60 and enjoy it.
Old May 23, 2013, 04:24 AM   #4
G-town Hunter

Scorch
I don't recall saying money was an issue. I did say though that this rifle holds a lot of sentimental value, and the rifle is very clean I take good care of it, that's why I want to have the action redone.
Old May 24, 2013, 12:04 AM   #5
armsmaster270

I have a 550-1 The bolt broke while shooting it still haven't found a replacement bolt still looking.
Old May 25, 2013, 11:38 PM   #6
birdshot

ammo

I have a 550 which is much more reliable with CCI minimags and amazingly with shorts.
Old May 26, 2013, 10:59 AM   #7
wachtelhund1

I too had a rem 550-1 in my younger days. My father gave it to me when I was twelve years old. My have timed changed. Can't recall how many thousand rounds I put through it. Evenbtually, I started having the same problems with mis-feeding. I think it was the metal used in their bolts as mine wore to where I could see cracks and light through the machined openings.
Old May 26, 2013, 01:31 PM   #8
Clark

My 550-1 can get off 3 shots for CCI CB Shorts before jamming. 27 gr 700 fps. It sounds like a pellet gun.

No other semi I have found can come close to that, even with changes to the recoil spring.

To clean it, I think the retainer screw comes out, and then the big bee hive on the rear unscrews.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old June 3, 2013, 03:39 PM   #9
weaselfire

I have a 550-1 I got for my 12th birthday. All it usually takes is a thorough breakdown and cleaning to get this loosened up correctly. Some parts and springs are still available for it. Remington has the diagrams for takedown.

Jeff
Old June 3, 2013, 07:32 PM   #10
James K
Member In Memoriam

That was never a highly reliable rifle, but they usually worked OK as long as the floating chamber and the barrel where it sits were kept very clean and NOT oiled or greased. Sometimes, the carrier or its spring would fail but a more common problem in that area was the owner disassembling the gun for cleaning and failing to put it back together correctly.

Jim