The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 31, 2010, 10:45 PM   #1
mrappe

Strange problem with Pietta 1858

I was taking out the main spring (hammer spring) to try a new one that I bought to see about lightening the pull and found that when the the new one was put in I found a strange problem. When the tension screw that holds the spring in place was tightened all the way down as far as it would go and the hammer was cocked back the whole way ite spring would pop off of the hammer back towards the rear of the gun and the gun would not function until it was taken out and tried again. this kept happening and so I put the original side by side with it. The were the same lenght and the curvature was approx. the same. I put the original back in and found that it did the same. the only way to keep this from happening was to back the tension off so that the screw was slightly sticking out above the surface of the hand grip frame. I had never noticed this position before but it must have been this way all along. I can solve the problem bu shortening the screw a little but i was wondering if anyone else has experienced this.
Old November 1, 2010, 12:09 AM   #2
arcticap

Here's someone whose 1858 didn't index right until the mainspring screw was tightened 1/2 turn.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...ade+mainspring

Notice the different thicknesses of the Colt mainsprings pictured in this next thread. Would thinning one of your mainsprings produce the desired effect?

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...ade+mainspring
Old November 1, 2010, 12:19 AM   #3
Doc Hoy

Mrappe

Yep. I have had the effect on one of my Remingtons (1858) plus I did a modification on an 1863 putting a screw in the frame just like the 1858. I had to mess with that screw a little too. One other poster here spoke of it as well. I corrected the problem on mine by doing just as you say.

The screw head sticking out makes the pistol uncomfortable and distracting to hold.
Old November 1, 2010, 02:41 AM   #4
Model-P

You could also try putting a spacer in the spring slot below the spring, in effect lengthening the spring so it doesn't pop out. Perhaps a piece of wood or leather cut to fit snugly.
Old November 2, 2010, 10:01 AM   #5
mm44

Just from experience Is the right screw in that position?