The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 22, 2001, 10:18 AM   #1
Gator

Where to hunt in Florida

Howdy,

I'm looking for a good place to go dove hunting (or even deer hunting) in the state of Florida. I'm willing to travel but I would prefer to stay out of the extreme south or panhandel.

Gator
Old August 22, 2001, 10:40 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

A lot of timber company land has been leased by hunt clubs. So, hunt for a hunt club to join.

Check for business cards or notices at various gun stores in your area. Sometimes folks with hunting lands post these on bulletin boards.

The Florida game department is on the Inet. They can tell you about National Forest lands, as well.
Hope this helps,

Art
Old August 22, 2001, 01:37 PM   #3
Gator

Art,

The Florida Fish and Game Com. web page is one of the best web pages I've seen in a long time. They really give you all the information you need on almost any topic. It's very nice.

I used this page to find out about the spec. op. dove hunts and a few more things. I've found some forrest areas that are game management and it shouldn't be that hard to find out more.

I'm starting to think they only way to really find a place to hunt is to join a "hunt club."

Gator
Old August 22, 2001, 04:19 PM   #4
Robert the41MagFan

Hunt clubs are slowly killing the hunting sports. Avoid them where possible.

Robert
Old August 22, 2001, 06:06 PM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Robert, the good or bad depends on "the deal". I did a season with one near Tallahassee. The price was cheaper than many private-ranch lease deals in Texas; the group was the right size for the land area, and the guys were pretty much okay.

Remember that for all practical purposes, Texas has no federal public lands such as in the Western States. The deal, here, has always been to make a deal with a landowner, and then put a group together. We just never thought of these groups of friends as "hunt clubs".

FWIW,

Art
Old August 23, 2001, 08:50 PM   #6
Mannlicher

Gator,
I live in Miami, but until recently, lived in G-Ville for, well, it seemed like forever.
Lochloosa, both dog and still sides, Ocala Nat. Forest, Osceola around Lake Butler and up SR 231 towards US 90. All these are good local areas that you can hunt. Stop by some of the places where hunters hang out. Try Harrys place down just north of Micanopy. Talk to Rob or Mac, they know every place there is to hunt.
There are a lot of farms around Gainesville, that you can get permission to hunt. Yes, lots of the land is tied up with hunt clubs, but threre are guys that will let you hunt their land. I have hunted some fine farm land up north of Hague that belongs to a fellow I met hanging out down at Harry's. Be friendly, be polite, get to know folks. It works darn near every time.
Email me if you need more information

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old August 23, 2001, 09:55 PM   #7
Bud Helms

Gator,

I'm not familiar with Central FL, but I do know that the FL State Wildlife Management Areas are a good deal. I used to hunt Blackwater in the panhandle. It was open pretty much the whole state Whitetail season from beginning to end. No controlled entry, check in or check out. Just a permit for that area.

Here in GA, the state managed areas are only open certain weekends and are very controlled. Florida's a good deal in that respect.
Old August 24, 2001, 07:10 AM   #8
Gator

Thanks guys. When i was a boy there was never a problem finding a place to hunt. Dad always found them. I just tagged along for the ride.

To be honest we did a lot more trout fishing that hunting. But it still provided some of my best memories of spending time with dad.

Even today, when I go home to visit the parents in Orlando dad and I make it a point of going fishing.

I guess we all have such memories.

Gator
Old August 26, 2001, 12:13 AM   #9
Rebeldon

Gator,

Try Gulf County, Liberty County, Marion County or Gadsten County. There's lots of land in those counties with lots of deer.

I realize that you would have to drive through Leon County to get to these counties, but just hold your nose while you pass through it. Go Gators!!!
Old August 27, 2001, 07:20 AM   #10
Gator

Rebeldon,

It's good to be a Florid Gator.

My hunting budy and I took a trip through a local wildlife management area this weekend and found some nice scub grass areas that look like doves might like eating the seeds in the area.

I think once we find out where their source of water is it will be easier to figure out what's in the area.

Gator