The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 24, 2013, 05:13 AM   #1
sfmedic

2 AK subjects in one

1st - beware the middle east AKS knockoffs

the receiver covers are freaking sharp !!! they are on par with a good razor blade.

i had 140 issued to 140 students - did the dis / ass thing and more than half got cut by the end of the day (as in drew blood cut)

2nd - any simple dry fire drill you can list? i do the ready positions and all the turn movements and i do the flat stone on the barrel as you learn shooting and moving. Unfortunately we dont have coins here to do the trigger pull drills.

sooo - any suggestions?
Old April 24, 2013, 08:28 AM   #2
Mrgunsngear

For the first part you can take a polishing wheel to all the sharp/rough edges. It'll smooth out the action as well.
Old April 25, 2013, 09:50 AM   #3
EdInk

You MUST make your hands STRONG like IRON, comrade!

LOL

Seriously, I would just file the edges a little bit by hand.
Old April 25, 2013, 10:14 AM   #4
Fishbed77

Quote:
For the win!
Old April 25, 2013, 12:22 PM   #5
eodinert

Still trying to figure out what this means:

Quote:
1st - beware the middle east AKS knockoffs
Old April 26, 2013, 01:46 PM   #6
Bart Noir

The AKs were made in Iraq for years. That would be Middle East.

They were (probably still are) made in Egypt. That would be Middle East.

And there are the reputed AK copies made by hand in oil-lamp lit sheds in the Khyber Pass area. Which you shoot if you want to hold an exploding rifle. But that is probably not the Middle East and our fearless medic could not possibly allow those in his classes, right?

Bart Noir

Last edited by Bart Noir; April 29, 2013 at 01:41 PM.
Old April 26, 2013, 02:07 PM   #7
sfmedic

I think I allow Iraqi AKS :-) even if you file them just the metal they are stamped out of is sharp. it reminds me of the blue spring steel that the old toy crickets were made of. hard and thin. makes for a very sharp edge.

These are the shorty Paratrooper version - I snagged 150 new in the plastic so thats what i use. they also are loud as heck.

I actually know a gunmaker in Zahko on the turkish border he makes guns from scratch, has a lathe and a small milling machine and cheap chinese dremel tools.

he works out of a small building beside his house. I used to use him all the time for smithy work. my terp and I probably drank more tea there than in any one place in this country.
Old April 28, 2013, 03:30 AM   #8
Venom1956

Quote:
OMG YES! FTW!
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old May 1, 2013, 02:48 AM   #9
eodinert

Quote:
The AKs were made in Iraq for years. That would be Middle East.
Actually, that would be South West Asia... and the Iraqi Yugo Clones (the only ones made there), are pretty good. Having been to Iraq and spent some quality time with Iraqi AKs, I can tell you I never had a problem with their rifles, but their ammo was exceptionally poor. Actually, their rifles were so nice, I suspect they imported the parts from Serbia, and just assembled them in Iraq (the parts nearly indistinguishable from Yugo AK parts).

Quote:
They were (probably still are) made in Egypt. That would be Middle East.
The Egyptian AKs were made on Russian tooling with Russian supervision, and were some of the best AKs not made in Russia. They also got parts from the East Germans, who make a fine AK as well.

Quote:
And there are the reputed AK copies made by hand in oil-lamp lit sheds in the Khyber Pass area. Which you shoot if you want to hold an exploding rifle. But that is probably not the Middle East and our fearless medic could not possibly allow those in his classes, right?
The Khyber Pass is also in Asia.