The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 6, 2013, 07:10 PM   #1
makarov

Trying to pick a hunting rifle

I have never been hunting (I'm 45) - a relative of mine has asked if I would like to go along next season. My nephew got his first deer last year. Mostly it is an excuse to get out in the woods for the people that go. I have quite a few guns, but none would be legal to hunt with except for an old Model 96 Swedish Mauser, and I don't want to haul that thing around. So after scoping out the pawn shops and the few gun stores we have here are my choices in 30-06. Would also look at .308, but leaning towards the 06.

1. Savage 111 combo with Bushnell 3x9 - on sale for $350 at Bi-Mart (does not have Accutrigger) - plastic stock.
2. Ruger Hawkeye - $549 new on sale - stainless with plastic stock
3. Used Browning A-bolt Composite BOSS model. $499 (new they are $599 at Gander Mtn) - this is at a pawn shop, could probably talk him down.
4. Ruger American - new $379
5. Used Remington 700 ADL nice wood stock $399

I am leaning towards the Savage since it is cheapest, but I really liked the Browning too. It had a nice bolt throw and was smooth. I guess they make a non-ported end for the BOSS system that cuts down the noise to the shooter. I think the pawn shop price is too high though. For another $50 I could get the Ruger which also felt very good and was in stainless. Was hoping to keep it around $400 for the rifle, not counting optics (I have other scopes I can use.) Have heard the Weatherby Vanguard and Tikkas are also nice, just none around to fondle in person... Thoughts on these choices?
Old March 6, 2013, 07:24 PM   #2
Ruger480

Cheap doesn't necessarily mean junk. Savage makes a good gun. Bushnell isn't the best choice for optics for that gun though. Replace it if you go with the Savage. Also, if you don't like the plastic stock you'd better check to see if there are aftermarket options for it. There are not for the Axis.
My other choice would be the Remington. I rarely hear/read of any issues with the 700s.
Good luck!!
Old March 6, 2013, 07:42 PM   #3
gundog5

Just my .02. i would not recommend buying used unless you are willing to take the risk of getting a rifle that has been shot out, eroded barrel, broken/bent fireing pin etc. My advise, buy new. The ruger hawkeye is the most expensive and the best of the rifles on your list. I believe between the ruger american and the savage 111, it's a toss up. The ruger american has some great reviews and a few not so good, same with the savage. If you decide to go with used I'd check both carfully and while the browning is an excellent rifle I personally have owened three, I would pick the remington as I never cared for the boss system. Good luck on your hunt and have funn.
Old March 6, 2013, 07:58 PM   #4
makarov

Thanks for the help so far. I've had good luck with used guns in the past, but that is a good price on the Ruger and I'm not saving much over the long run. The Savage is the 110/111 model so there should be plenty of parts for it. If I replaced the trigger and the stock then I'm sinking another $200+ into the Savage. I've heard they are accurate guns and there does seem to be pretty good aftermarket support for them. I have a CZ 527 in .223 that I really like, but buying another CZ probably is out of my price range at this point, they aren't as cheap as they used to be.
Old March 6, 2013, 07:59 PM   #5
silvrjeepr

Trying to pick a hunting rifle

Take a peek at the weatherby vanguard s2's. I like em, they can be had cheaply, and they guarantee sub MOA performance.

Also, buy the nicest scope you possibly can. I've never heard anyone say that their scope performs too well. A good scope is worth its weight in gold around 25 minutes after sunset since you can't shoot what you can't see.
Old March 6, 2013, 08:03 PM   #6
gwhunran

I have a 700 ADL 3006. I like it very much, its accurate, and dependable, and there's lots of aftermarket for it. I have shot a few deer with it, the bullet goes in one side and comes out the other
Old March 6, 2013, 08:07 PM   #7
jmr40

Almost all my rifles have been bought used, never ran across a problem. VERY few centerfire hunting rifles have been shot enough to do much more than break them in. If it belonged to someone who shot it enough to wear t out they would most likely rebarrel rather than sell it.

You can buy a top quality used rifle for about the same as a new budget gun.

The Ruger Hawkeye would be my top pick, but if money were really an issue the used Remington would be the choice.

30-06, 308, Not enough difference to matter. If I found a good deal on a rifle I liked I'd buy it and not let the chambering have any influence on my choice.
Old March 6, 2013, 09:10 PM   #8
kutz

My Ruger American is great!
Old March 6, 2013, 09:21 PM   #9
eldermike

A bolt is a fine hunting rifle.
Old March 6, 2013, 09:25 PM   #10
shootniron

Quote:
Almost all my rifles have been bought used, never ran across a problem. VERY few centerfire hunting rifles have been shot enough to do much more than break them in. If it belonged to someone who shot it enough to wear t out they would most likely rebarrel rather than sell it.
X

I would buy whichever I liked best...I am not sure that any one is better than the others.
Old March 6, 2013, 09:36 PM   #11
RonR6

I always liked a nice wood stock and you cant go wrong with a Remington 700 in 30-06. Ammo used to be plentiful in that caliber. I hunt with a Remington 700 BDL .243 or a 700 Mountain Rifle in .280.
The Remington would be my pic.
Old March 6, 2013, 09:42 PM   #12
Mauser8mm

Ruger or Browning

I have shot the Ruger and it is quite the rifle. Accurate, reliable, smooth action. They go for around $1,000 new. Same with the browning, very nice rifle. If you are willing to spend more, gofor the Ruger.

It's better to be silent and called a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
Old March 6, 2013, 09:53 PM   #13
PawPaw

Savage, Ruger, Remington, Browning. Take your choice, I don't think that you can go wrong with any of those.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old March 6, 2013, 11:40 PM   #14
big al hunter

If you are hunting the east side of the cascades, take your pick. If you will be hunting the west side get the stainless. Fewer problems with rust and rain
Old March 7, 2013, 12:18 AM   #15
jimbob86

I'd love to try to take a deer with a Swede .......

But if that's too much to lug around ...... most any 30-06 boltie will be similar in weight, no?
Old March 7, 2013, 08:25 AM   #16
wooly booger

That is a great price on the Ruger Hawkeye if it truly is new.
Not so great on the American.

The Savage is a good gun, but you can get the Savage Hunter XP with a Nikon scope for $500.
Old March 7, 2013, 08:26 AM   #17
wooly booger

Quote:
I have shot the Ruger and it is quite the rifle. Accurate, reliable, smooth action. They go for around $1,000 new
huh? I hope if you pay that much they kiss you afterward.
Old March 7, 2013, 10:23 AM   #18
AllenJ

All the rifles you list get good reviews, I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. If it were me though I'd look hard at that Hawkeye deal, that is a couple hundred below what I can find them for in my part of the country.
Old March 7, 2013, 11:00 AM   #19
SCgman

Ruger has a strong fan base and the M77/Hawkeye has been around a good while. I handled one once and it is a solid piece of manufacturing. The earlier suggestion to check out a Weatherby is real good advice and the large box stores should give you a good selection and competitive pricing. A new Hawkeye or Weatherby Vanguard is a safe bet for performance. No knock on the others, but combos usually have cheap glass, and there is risk in going used. The American doesn't have the track record yet, but it has some good features and is turnig some heads.
Old March 7, 2013, 11:11 AM   #20
603Country

Based on price and on the joys of a compact rifle I have now, I'd most likely go for a Ruger American Compact. They fixed the only issue I have with my M77 Compact in that they lengthened the barrel to 20 inches. As for caliber, from what's offered in that rifle, I suppose I'd go with 7mm-08.
Old March 7, 2013, 11:32 AM   #21
Skitter

When hunting around for guns my wife an I also took into account what ammo was available. This being said we picked out a .270 for her, my Dad has one and has had absolutely no complaints about it. We also looked into 30-06 but the kick might be a bit much for her.

In Texas area the 30-60, 7mm, .270 ammo are widely available while .308, .30-30, and .243 are rare
Old March 7, 2013, 11:36 AM   #22
Saltydog235

X Whatever number we are up to on buying used. I doubt seriously if a hunting rifle has been shot enough to considered shot out. Especially if it is in good condition. You really cannot go wrong with a 700 when you consider that vast amount of options you have in aftermarket and replacement parts. Over time you can build it out any way you want replacing something here and there and its not necessary to have a gunsmith do most of it. At least if you have any concept of working with tools and following instructions.

The Savage would be my next choice since it also has a lot of support and parts you can plug in. Plus switching a barrel out is easily done.

Not a huge fan of the American, feels cheap to me.

Hawkeye is a good gun if you are a Ruger fan. I've just never really like the feel of Ruger bolt guns but that is merely a personal opinion. Love the No.1 though.

I've owned probably 5 A-bolts over the years and have always found them to be hit or miss on accuracy. When they shoot, they are hard to beat, when they don't you'll beat your head against a tree.
Old March 7, 2013, 11:38 AM   #23
Saltydog235

Quote:
In Texas area the 30-60, 7mm, .270 ammo are widely available while .308, .30-30, and .243 are rare
Really? Is that because no one shoots them or because it is bought up? I would have thought .308 would be popular anywhere you went.
Old March 7, 2013, 11:41 AM   #24
dos0711

My Vote

Ruger Hawkeye - $549 new on sale - stainless with plastic stock
Old March 7, 2013, 12:13 PM   #25
iraiam

On your caliber choice, you are right on the money with the 30-06 IMO, it is fully capable of taking any big game animal on the North American continent, and ammo is among the most common around. If I had to pick one cartridge for everything it would be the 06.

Can't reallly say on the specific guns, as I have not inspected any of them, for this reason i would say go with factory new. I'm a stickler for used guns, i show up with bore lights and gauges.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason