The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 30, 2006, 11:47 AM   #1
kgeter

kimber guns

i was loking around the internet and came across the kimber site. i new they made 1911's but i saw another model, i think they were called "KPD"'s maybe. does anyone know much about these guns and a price range? thanks

Kevin
Old September 30, 2006, 12:32 PM   #2
BillCA

It looks like the KPD is priced in the range of $595 to $625 based on some quick Googling. Discounts may be had, I'm sure.

The KPD is Kimber's entry into the polymer (yawn) pistol market. The looks are similar to the S&W M&P pistol. The KPD is DAO and it includes a magazine safety :barf: as well as an infernal... ah... internal lock. :barf:

I dislike magazine safeties as well as internal locks. If the magazine safety is designed such that it cannot be removed or deactivated, it's failure turns your pistol into an expensive club. Ditto on the internal lock. However, some folks may actually want these items due to their own circumstances. I just wish they were optional.
Old September 30, 2006, 06:53 PM   #3
fludy12

Not true...

The KPD is not Kimber's first entry into the polymer market. I've had a Kimber BP Pro Ten II for years and it's been a fantastic pistol. It's a 1911 style pistol with a polymer lower. The polymer grip allows for a double stack mag for 13+1 capacity in .45 ACP and the grip is NO thicker than a single stack 1911 with standard grip panels (just a little more "boxy", but has still a great grip for my medium sized hands). Not too shabby and it's very accurate and reliable, yet still fairly light weight. I STOLE it for well under $500 at J&G Gunsales in Prescott, AZ after a Gunsite class (used a G19, but the 1911 bug bit me in the arse) because it wouldn't sell as nobody wanted a polymer anything 1911. Many, many biased people missed out on a fantastic weapon. The only (and I mean only) downside is it takes special mags made by Mec Gar so no standard 1911 mags can be used. Not really a big deal and Kimber sells them direct. I bought 15 to have enough spares.
-Fludy
Old September 30, 2006, 09:01 PM   #4
Mosin44az

That Kimber poly 1911 I believe is actually the Israeli Bul M5, then imported by Kimber but now Charles Daly is bringing it in.
Old October 1, 2006, 03:21 PM   #5
fludy12

Really?

Mosin,
Interesting info, but... What's with all the Kimber "proudly made in America" advertising? I don't believe it's imported as I talked with a Kimber gunsmith and specifically asked about that. He said only the magazines (Mec Gar) were imported from Italy. Also, I just googled up the BUL and it really doesn't look like the BP Pro Ten II. Also, the BUL beavertail/grip safety appears to be metal where the Kimber's is polymer...
-Fludy