The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 15, 2000, 06:30 AM   #1
Basil

Dear all hi!

I currently own an auto loader Berreta shotgun and a CCW SIG P229 9.0 mm.

I strongly desire to extend my collection as to include a special purpose shotgun.

After careful consideration I came to the point that I would be better off by ticking to either REM 870 Mariner or to Moosberg´s 500/590 Mariner or equivalent.

Since it is hard to choose can anybody help me on this? Money is not the problem but I am very concious viz. a viz. reliability and firing power.

The second issue has to do with the pellets and amo in general. which is the best if I exlude slugs? Since I am not living in a farm but rather in a bloody crowded city with high crime rates, I think that slugs are not for me. I might be wrong though.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks.

Basil
Old March 15, 2000, 06:47 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Like that little pink, drum beating bunny, 870s just keep going and going and going...

Most agencies in the US that use shotguns use the 870 for its durability and reliability, more than all other shotguns combined.Get an 870, your great grandchildren will thank you for it.

There's tons of old threads with info about this, you may want to review them.

The 500 is an OK shotgun. The 870 is a superb shotgun, well made and based on John Browning patents.

Old March 15, 2000, 07:11 AM   #3
Ned Roundtree

Go with the Rem 870 Marine Magnum. Because that's what I have. 18', side saddle with four extra shells, and also added scattergun tech rear ghost ring with rifle front sight with tritium dot insert. I haven't decided whether to change the forearm to one with a tactical light. Or my choice if I could afford, you might look at is Scatter gun Tech Border Patrol model. You can for a little more get the armor coating. My two cents.
Old March 15, 2000, 07:17 AM   #4
Ned Roundtree

Ammo: I keep chamber empty. Tube loaded with alternating #4 and #00 buck. On side saddle I keep 1 #00, 1 #4 and 2 rifled slug. The rifled slug is just in case. I also live in the burbs and must be concerned with where my missed shots would stop.
Old March 15, 2000, 08:44 AM   #5
Basil

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dave McC:
Like that little pink, drum beating bunny, 870s just keep going and going and going...

Most agencies in the US that use shotguns use the 870 for its durability and reliability, more than all other shotguns combined.Get an 870, your great grandchildren will thank you for it.

There's tons of old threads with info about this, you may want to review them.

The 500 is an OK shotgun. The 870 is a superb shotgun, well made and based on John Browning patents.

[/quote]

Thanks Dave

Appreciate the help.

Basil

Old March 15, 2000, 09:14 AM   #6
jthuang

The current literature on combat shotguns basically says that 00 buckshot is good to 25 yards. Unless you anticipate making shots beyond 25 yards (or if you anticipate situations where you will need to make very precise shots -- e.g., hostage situations) then buckshot will do fine.

Thoughts on the whole 870 vs 500 thing at http://www.members.tripod.com/~jth8260/870.html

HTH,

Justin

------------------
Justin T. Huang, Esq.
late of Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
Old March 15, 2000, 11:22 AM   #7
Basil

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jthuang:
The current literature on combat shotguns basically says that 00 buckshot is good to 25 yards. Unless you anticipate making shots beyond 25 yards (or if you anticipate situations where you will need to make very precise shots -- e.g., hostage situations) then buckshot will do fine.

Thoughts on the whole 870 vs 500 thing at http://www.members.tripod.com/~jth8260/870.html

HTH,

Justin

[/quote]

Thanks a lot for the remarks and comments.

Basil

Old March 15, 2000, 11:41 AM   #8
Shin-Tao

I chose the Mossy. It's light and handy. Really easy to handle inside a building, wich is important. Add a SpeedFeed fixed stock with pistol grip and you really have something that is easy and effective to use.
For CQC, I have the tube loaded with Remington High Velocity Game Loads. 7 1\2 shot at 1,390fps. For outside, I switch to 000 and rifled slugs.
My Mossy is dead reliable and well blanced for me. I choose it above any other pump 12, but tastes vary. Try your choices out as much as you can before you buy.
Old March 15, 2000, 11:56 AM   #9
Erik

I like both the 870s and Rems and the Mossbergs. I want both...

I saw a loaded NIB Mossberg 590 at the last gun show I was at. It was $395 and was complete with side-saddle, ghost ring rear sight and tritium front sight. It was a great deal! I wish I had not already spent my "gun money" on something else...

Erik

Old March 15, 2000, 06:17 PM   #10
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Shin Tao, a note about weight....

First off, I'm a behemoth, 6'2" and 260. I could swing an M-60 if I had to. Did once, in fact.

My 870 with all the addons runs close to 9 lbs, and kicks little. Since the weight is balanced between the hands, it's not that hard to handle quickly, for ME.

The Mossberg is a bit lighter. For most folks,that's no advantage. Recoil in an AS scenario means longer times between shots, and that could be fatal in a multiple assailant problem.Also, with a system full of adrenaline,the heavier weight isn't noticeable.

No slams to the Mossberg, it's an OK weapon. But the lighter weight is not a virtue unless one is of small stature,or wit6h other limitiations,and then it comes with drawbacks.
Old March 15, 2000, 06:39 PM   #11
Gorthaur

How does the heavier 590-A1 compare? Is it still lighter than the 870?

------------------
Protect your Right to Keep and Bear Arms!