The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 5, 2015, 10:44 AM   #1
AL45

What's up with the other guy's gun?

Is it just me or does anyone else sometimes shoot a friend's gun better than your own? Yesterday, I couldn't hit water if I was standing on the deck of the Titanic with my Blackhawk, but then shot pretty well with my friends Glock. In the past, I couldn't hit anything with a Glock while I normally am a decent shot with the Blackhawk I couldn't hit anything with my .22 revolver either, but shot well with my son's Ruger .45 1911. Maybe I better switch to a sawed off shotgun so I can get some consistency.
Old July 5, 2015, 12:29 PM   #2
buck460XVR

Some guns just fit your hands better, thus one is inherently more accurate with them. This may be the case with your BH as compared to your friends Glock and your son's 1911 as compared to your .22 revolver. I shoot DA revolvers better than I shoot SA, I always assumed it was the difference in grip angles. Sometimes with our own firearms we get a little lackadaisical and complacent. When shooting a new firearm, we tend to focus more on the mechanics of shooting and sighting. Could be a combination or just a subliminal urge to buy a new gun.
Old July 5, 2015, 05:59 PM   #3
DaleA

Quote:
Maybe I better switch to a sawed off shotgun so I can get some consistency.
Shades of James Caan in the John Wayne epic "El Dorado"!
Old July 6, 2015, 09:59 AM   #4
dyl

Ditto on the fundamentals.

I've found that when I shoot someone's different gun I'm paying a lot more to the strange grip, strange trigger characteristics, and new sight picture. Plus you really don't want to waste the precious ammo and the few shots you will have with it (can't keep it all day). Sometimes switching guns forces us to pay attention and break whatever bad habit we are in at that particular range session. I shot a bowling pin match with a compact M&P, did fair. Then a man hands me his Glock 22 afterwards and 1 shot 1 pin except for the last one. I can't explain it (don't think it was just sight radius) but the gun did feel very strange in my hand yet I shot well. Then I went and bought a used Glock 22 just to see what happened.

That is, unless you've NEVER shot well with a particular gun, then it means either we've never learned the gun, terrible ammo, or something is wrong. In which case either you need to get it fixed, figure it out, or sell it if you don't like it enough to learn it.
Old July 6, 2015, 10:31 AM   #5
g.willikers

If you were consistently better with one gun over another, then maybe a change of equipment might be in order.
But from the description it's most likely an inconsistency in your shooting skills.
Time to review the fundamentals, for sure.
A good idea for all of us, whenever we start to get loosie goosie.
(A highly technical term),
Old July 6, 2015, 07:52 PM   #6
AL45

Good information, Thanks.
Old July 6, 2015, 08:08 PM   #7
jimmymjr

I have a friend who has a Beretta, every time I shoot the thing I shoot a perfect group at around 1 to 2 inches. My M&P or my Glock I can't get it that tight.
Old July 7, 2015, 10:44 AM   #8
dyl

jimmyjr, this may be accidentally "hijacking" a thread but it's certainly related to the opening post.

It could be a lot of things.

The fundamentals can usually defeat any accuracy problem. It's a real eye opener.
Please google "thecorneredcat basics of pistol shooting" excellent photos.
Please google fundamentals of pistol shooting.

Sounds boring, but it's a lot more fun if you hold your (empty safety-checked) pistol in hand and try it live as you read it.

M&P's, Glocks, have striker fired triggers with a longer rolling trigger break and a bit more overtravel. So a little more attention needs to be paid to achieve a smooth "straight to the rear" trigger pull. Most service pistols (including M&P's and Glocks) should be able to hit about a 4 inch group at 25 yards with premium ammo, which does translate into a 1-2 ish inch group at 7 yards if the shooter is up to it (no physical issues). I have done that with a compact M&P.

If you haven't tried snap caps for dry fire practice, look into Azoom. They can survive hundreds of dry fires. Play with your grip, trigger finger placement and a slow pull until you can dry fire without the front sight moving. For a challenge balance a coin on the front sight. If your groups are consistently low or low left, it's an anticipation issue and a gradual surprise break to the trigger pull will help. If your shots are scattered evenly all over, focusing hard on the front sight (really hard, blink if your eye won't focus on the front sight at first) with dry fire will help. Your target will be blurry and your rear sight will be blurry, and that's how it's supposed to be when you start pulling your trigger slowly.

Having said that, for some reason you like the Beretta. You could sell yours and purchase a Beretta, but I think it's more important to adjust your technique first because you would see limitations with any gun eventually. Since you can shoot well with the Italian Stallion already I think it won't be too hard for you if you play around with it. Good luck.
Old July 7, 2015, 04:01 PM   #9
jmhyer

Whatever you do, don't buy that other guy's gun! Then it won't be the other guy's gun anymore. It'll be your gun and you won't shoot it well.
Old July 7, 2015, 08:14 PM   #10
Overkill777

^Lol.

I agree with what others have said, it's probably due to level of focus. I think it's natural when you're trying out a new gun you tend to focus more.