The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 3, 2014, 11:42 AM   #1
Devdev08

what shotgun.

im looking to buy a new shotgun for hunting. im looking to spend about $500. I was looking at the Remington Model 870 Express or a browning bps. I have never purchased a shotgun before and don't know to much about them. any advice is appreciated and any suggestion will be considered. thanks.
Old April 3, 2014, 11:52 AM   #2
BigBL87

I personally just bought a Mossberg 500, although mine is more for clays and HD than hunting. The nice thing is for under $400 I got both a 28" barrel (for clays/hunting) and an 18.5" (HD). Lots of different 2 barrel combos too, most had a rifled and a smoothbore.
Old April 3, 2014, 01:56 PM   #3
jaguarxk120

For $500 you can find a used Remington Wingmaster that is light years ahead of the Express model.
A BPS used is a very fine gun that should serve you well.
Old April 3, 2014, 02:34 PM   #4
drcook

You didn't say what type of hunting you were wanting to do. Upland, small game, waterfowl ? All the above ?

It can make a difference as to your real intentions as to what you get and what folks would recommend.
Old April 3, 2014, 02:50 PM   #5
BigJimP

The Browning BPS - is typically a way smoother action than most of the 870 offerings. The BPS is my pump gun of choice.

For a general purpose upland bird gun, waterfowl, some occasional sporting clays, Trap or Skeet ...I like the BPS with a 28" barrel. Its a good starter gun/ a lot of gun for the money in my view.
Old April 3, 2014, 03:49 PM   #6
Devdev08

Quote:
drcook You didn't say what type of hunting you were wanting to do. Upland, small game, waterfowl ? All the above ?
This shotgun will be for waterfowl and trap and skeet and just plinking.

Quote:
jaguarxk120 For $500 you can find a used Remington Wingmaster that is light years ahead of the Express model.
I didn't realize that used wing masters went that cheap I will look into it
Old April 3, 2014, 05:33 PM   #7
guruatbol

I have many shotguns now, but when I got the first one, I got a Mossberg 500 combo.

Now I rarely use the short barrel.

I have acquired some impressive shotguns, but when I shoulder the Mossberg it is like an old friend. I dropped it in the pond once when duck hunting and just dug it out of the goo and rinsed it off chambered a round and shot a duck. I know this is incredibly bad for any gun, but this thing cleaned up nice and just keeps going. It has twin beads and I like that.

I have only one other I like as well, that's a Browning Citori.

My youngest daughter got a 20 g Daly youth model and loves it. It fits her. I shot it and think it kicks like a mule. Probably because it is too small for me.

Anyway, my point is go shopping. Shoulder them. See how they fit. The best shotgun for you is the one that fits and you are comfortable with.

I would stick with the known brands. I have an 870 and still prefer my Mossberg. I borrowed an 870 for a dove hunt before I got the Mossberg. I like them and have fired hundreds of rounds through them as they were our duty shotgun, just prefer the feel of the 500.

Just my .02

Mel
Old April 3, 2014, 07:07 PM   #8
jaguarxk120

You just have to keep looking, you never know what may come around the corner. Make yourself knowledgeable about the Wingmaster and the BPS.

So when one comes up you can jump on it. Some of my buys were buy it now, don't look back.
Old April 3, 2014, 09:57 PM   #9
idek

Based on the purposes you listed, a heavier gun might be desirable (assuming you're physically suited for a heavier gun.... we don't know your age, size, or anything).

Heavier guns tend to swing more smoothly on passing targets (like you'd encounter in trap and waterfowl shooting) and also will have a bit less recoil, which is good for extended shooting (trap) or heavy loads (waterfowl).

In pump guns, the BPS and Benelli Nova will run heavier than Remingtons or Mossbergs.

For $500, you could also afford some semi-autos. Mossberg 930s are pretty decent and might be around that price. Otherwise, used Remingtons semi-autos can be in that ballpark.
Old April 4, 2014, 05:31 AM   #10
Virginian

Before jumping on the BPS bandwagon, make sure you like bottom loading thru the magazine for follow up shots after the magazine is empty. The BPS is a very good gun. I had three that never missed a beat, but I could never warm up to that and went back to my Wingmaster. The BPS also feels different - not bad - just different.
Old April 4, 2014, 06:25 AM   #11
jehu

Bennelli Nova!
Old April 4, 2014, 08:13 AM   #12
Waspinator

I think it all comes down to your comfort with the controls of the gun. I went with Mossberg becuase I like the safety and slide release locations. To me, it was the most comfortable and intuitive controls out of the many I tried without having to change my grip in the slightest. Find one that you are comfortable with the controls and that shoulders well... and you can't really go wrong with any of the major brands.
Old April 4, 2014, 09:16 AM   #13
PetahW

IMO, the best choice would depend on the buyer's druthers.

Would you druther have a steel receiver (Remington), or one of aluminum alloy (BPS) ?

Would you druther have/like the RH side-ejection Remington (NG for lefties) or the bottom-ejection BPS (good for both RH & LH shooters) ?

Would you druther have a wide availability of an extra bbl (Rem) or less options in your future (Browning) ?

Would you druther have nice wood (Browning), or plainer (Rem) ?
(Both, of course are available synthetically-stocked)

Brownings definitely have a shinier finish (bling ?) than the Remington's - but earlier Remington 870 Wingmaster's (which can be found in "as-new" condition) also have a very fine finish.

Finely polished/bluesd steel (Rem), however, will not be as shiny as polished/anodized aluminum (BPS).

I would never, however, spring for a Remington Express - which looks IMHO like unfinished business, or an expendable tool.

Old April 4, 2014, 10:52 AM   #14
Devdev08

ok thanks everyone for the input I was in scheels awhile ago and shoulder tested the 870 and it was fine. ( before I was considering buying a shotgun)
and I will have to go back and look at all the choices and see what I like best. I've heard mixed reviews on the express. some say there crap others think there okay some swear by them. I also heard that they used to be junk but the newer production ones are better. i also have time before i would get it anyways im starting my summer job as soon as the ground thaws.
Old April 4, 2014, 04:08 PM   #15
pete2

870 and BPS both have steel receivers, Mossy is aluminum. I'd go with a Wingmaster or the BPS. The bottom feed of the BPS is different to say the least especially when shooting skeet and trap, not a big deal for hunting. I used an Ithica Model 37 for years for hunting and skeet, works fine, kicks too much now, it weighs 6-1/2 lbs. Not bad for quail hunting, 100 rounds of skeet works you over. You might also find a used 1100 gun in the 500.00 range but it'll be fixed choke unless you get really lucky. I got one a few years ago with a 28" mod. bbl, had it reamed to IC, heck of a gun for birds and skeet, and what little 5 stand I shoot.
Old April 4, 2014, 04:16 PM   #16
jaguarxk120

You have to put a Express next to a Wingmaster. Cycle both guns, chances are you will not want to put the Wingmaster down.
Old April 4, 2014, 08:42 PM   #17
Devdev08

Quote:
jaguarxk120 You have to put a Express next to a Wingmaster. Cycle both guns, chances are you will not want to put the Wingmaster down.
I'm pretty new to guns and I know a bit but some things to me are still like comparing apples and oranges. I just want some thing reliable that will get me some ducks for as little money as possible
Old April 4, 2014, 10:39 PM   #18
Wyosmith

"Before jumping on the BPS bandwagon, make sure you like bottom loading thru the magazine for follow up shots after the magazine is empty."

Actually this statement is not correct.

BPS shotguns are quite easy to chamber load.
Here is a link to show you how.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvM4GmBAfYY
Old April 4, 2014, 11:29 PM   #19
Blindstitch

If you can try and find a range that lets you rent guns. Then you can get a feel for them before you make a decision.

I like tang safeties and the Mossberg 500 works great for me. I had the standard plastic safety and upgraded to one with a spur on it which was easier to trip on cold days wearing gloves.
Here's the safety I got but I paid a lot less for it.
http://www.brownells.com/shotgun-par...426-53906.aspx

The 500 has been around for 50 years now and is a great gun and if you look hard enough and aren't in a hurry they can pop up for as low as $120. Some are branded with other names like Coast to Coast but still the same.

Obviously the Rem 870 is also a great gun and has been around for 60 years. I don't like the safety but both of these guns have been used by the military and police so they stand up to what you throw at them. And they make a lot of extra stuff for them so they're totally customizable.

Oh yeah all you need is a punch or thin stick and you can totally disassemble and clean the mossberg 500 in the field. Sure I can't say enough. It's the first gun I bought new and it has never failed me. Last season I shot 14 pheasants with it and back in the 90's the first 9 shots fired through it killed 9 geese with I believe the modified choke.