The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old October 5, 2011, 12:13 PM   #1
joeranger

Gustov M45 Smith and Wesson M76

How rare are these weapons. I remember them from the old Bond movies. All bad guys were issued a M45, coveralls and a hard hat.
A search here turned up nothing.
The short version. Swedish SMG loved by special forces so much that S&W made a clone M76 when they stopped shipping them to us.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Gustav_M/45

Are there modern clones?

Edit: Apparently my memory does not serve me well as these do not show up in any Bond movie credits
http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Carl_Gustav_M/45

Last edited by joeranger; October 5, 2011 at 12:19 PM.
Old October 6, 2011, 02:23 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

The Swedish KP45 (Kulsprutepistol 45 or Kpist 45), also known as the Carl Gustaf submachine gun, is pretty uncommon in this country, though some were imported as "DEWATS" in the early 1960's. The KP45's I saw at the time were all brand new, straight from Sweden, not war-weary pieces from Vietnam. The Swedish Army and reserves dropped the SMG in the 1990s and went to short "assault rifles" as did the U.S. with the M4 carbine. The gun seems to be still in use with the Swedish police in a semi-auto version.

The S&W Model 76 is not exactly a copy of the KP45, but it is certainly very close. The S&W would probably have sold better except that they limited sales to police and military (probably under government pressure) even though at that time there was no federal law banning sales to individuals (providing the proper paperwork was done and the tax paid).

I have no idea what a KP45 would sell for today; my guess would be upward of $15k.

Jim
Old October 6, 2011, 02:29 PM   #3
collector rob

There was a SW76 sold a few years ago. J&G sold some. Here's a link to an old auction for one.

http://www.gunauction.com/closed/dis...mnum=6798482.0
Old October 6, 2011, 02:58 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

That is the semi-auto carbine with a 16" barrel. I think I can guarantee that the selective fire version would be worth more than $449.

Jim
Old October 6, 2011, 02:59 PM   #5
m.p.driver

Plenty of parts kits on the market,for those inclined to convert to semi's.
Old October 6, 2011, 11:41 PM   #6
gyvel

76s and the MK 760 clones come up for sale on the various websites more often than you would think. The going price for a decent 76 seems to run around 6k, + or -.