The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 9, 2010, 11:34 AM   #1
Sriracha

Tips for inspecting used bolt-action rifles?

Hi everyone,

I'm a rifle newbie considering new vs. used bolt action rifles.

When shopping for used rifles, have you any advice on what I should inspect? (I do know to check the bore, crown, and general wear and tear.)

Thank you,
Sriracha
Old March 9, 2010, 12:28 PM   #2
Jimro

Unless you are looking at some old milsurp bolt action rifles then there isn't much else to check. If you are looking at milsurp that opens a different set of things to check.

Jimro
Old March 9, 2010, 02:11 PM   #3
precision_shooter

Agree with Jimro. Other than chekcing the Bore and Crown, I cycle the bolt to see how it operates and I also like to be able to pull the trigger. I shoulder the rifle and check the length of pull and how comfortable it is to shoulder and rest my cheek on the stock to see how comfortable the cheek weld is. Other than that, there is not much to it aside from asthetics that appeal to you individually.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old March 9, 2010, 04:09 PM   #4
ARDogman

I like to take the stock off if I can to see if anybody has done any work at glass bedding or free floating (themselves.) I generally guess that only people that shoot a fair amount will try those types of things and if there have been attempts at "accurizing" the rifle has probably been shot more than I like, and may have accuracy issues.