The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 28, 2009, 10:17 PM   #1
Coldiron

What FAL to get?

I want to buy a FAL I've been told to get the DSA FAL. I really don't need top of the line. what do you guys think I should get? the reason I want one is because I have a 22 conversion kit for an L1A1. I have it in my Dads FAL right now and I Love it!
Old March 1, 2009, 01:25 AM   #2
ogree

Get a DSA, they offer consistency in the product they sell, other makes can be questionable these days.

If you can find & afford an original FN though...that would be my first choice.
Old March 1, 2009, 01:37 AM   #3
Huey Long

Quote:
I want to buy a FAL I've been told to get the DSA FAL. I really don't need top of the line. what do you guys think I should get? the reason I want one is because I have a 22 conversion kit for an L1A1. I have it in my Dads FAL right now and I Love it!
I think DSAs are metric. An L1A1 conversion kit may not work in them. Unless your dad's FAL is a metric one, I'd check and make sure.
Old March 1, 2009, 09:54 AM   #4
wogpotter

You do realize that the conversion kit (if complete) is worth more than a FAL?
You lucky devil.
IIRC the kit will fit either inch or metric as it's a replacment bolt/carrier & insert barrel. Complete sub assemblies are interchangable, even though some parts aren't. The biggest problem will be the magazine as they have different locking catches & that makes them non-interchangable. You may end up with a single-shot if you go with a metric rifle.
To be sure you should go with an inch pattern.
Old March 1, 2009, 10:23 AM   #5
a7mmnut

In case you haven't seen them, there are some Imbel receiver CETME rifles with polymer stocks showing up now for $650-750. Some of these are just worn kits slapped into an old receiver with no finish on it. You have to be careful. Years ago, we (snobs?) would have never touched such "trash" when we were buying L1A1's, G3 converts, or R1A1's at Roses Department Stores for just $499. They're selling like hotcakes today. -7-
Old March 1, 2009, 06:01 PM   #6
Coldiron

Quote:
You do realize that the conversion kit (if complete) is worth more than a FAL?
You lucky devil.
IIRC the kit will fit either inch or metric as it's a replacment bolt/carrier & insert barrel. Complete sub assemblies are interchangable, even though some parts aren't. The biggest problem will be the magazine as they have different locking catches & that makes them non-interchangable. You may end up with a single-shot if you go with a metric rifle.
To be sure you should go with an inch pattern.
no I didn't know the conversion kit was worth that much! it is complete. Dads FAL is metric but I was able to modify the gun to take the magazine. it is just the magazine catch that is the problem, every thing else just slides in nicely. I have another part to get it back to normal again so it is not a big deal. I would just rather not do it if I don't have to.

Quote:
If you can find & afford an original FN though...that would be my first choice
I am going to be selling my M14 to pay for the FAL. I will be able to afford the FN (if I can find it). maybe some one here will have an FAL they would be willing to part with? Thanks for the info!
Old March 1, 2009, 07:36 PM   #7
P99AS9

DSA all the way!
Old March 1, 2009, 08:29 PM   #8
FlyboyTx

DSA

If I were going to purchase a new FN, it would be a DSA.

The one I have is an older IMBEL receiver with a match grade barrel that I paid $500 for. I am told it is now worth more than that based on the kind of receiver, which can no longer be imported.

FBT
Old March 1, 2009, 10:40 PM   #9
FALPhil

<...>