The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 15, 2008, 09:38 AM   #1
JeffLrrp

CZ 527 carbine 7.62x39mm

Anybody have this? Quality? Fit and Finish? Accuracy with regular sights (no scope)? Price check? Magazines?

Thanks.
Old March 15, 2008, 10:19 AM   #2
jdc1244

I have a 527 Lux in .223, larger version of the same rifle. Fit, finish, and quality are excellent. Accuracy with open sights is excellent. Extra mags are available from many online sellers.

Whittakers has the carbine for $506.99, list is $662.
Old March 15, 2008, 11:09 AM   #3
garryc

I just sold one of those. It's an accurate gun with reloads. If your planning on shooting the cheap steel cased ammo you'll find that it doesn't shoot well. Wolf 150's are the best of that lot.
Old March 15, 2008, 12:52 PM   #4
boltgun71

I got one for my wife as a hunting and plinking rifle. Fit, finish, and accuracy are excellent. I have tried three different handloads with it and the largest group was only 1 1/4" inches, smallest was 3/4". Its the best platform I have seen for wringing the most accuracy out of the 7.62X39mm IMO. The set trigger is very nice and my wifes has some tiger striping in the wood stock that is nice touch as well. CZ factory scope rings are expensive for it, I would recommend getting the Burris rings instead if you plan on scoping it. Extra mags are expensive as well. Overall its a great rifle and I would highly recommend it.
Old March 16, 2008, 12:16 AM   #5
chris in va

Yes I have one. Absolutely one of my favorite guns.

Quality is good. Trigger is fantastic, fully adjustable.

Fit/finish, pretty good. Action is a little rough, kinda sticky. Takes a while to smooth it out. The firing pin spring was weak in mine, CZ sent me a new one that ignites the Wolf primers better.

Accuracy, I only shoot it with the iron sights, but I have no problem hitting a hanging bowling pin at 100 yards if I do my part.

Price, WalMart can actually order one for you. I got mine used for $450 but after shipping and FFL fees, would have been the same as new.

http://www.walmart.com/search/search...x=20&Find.y=11

Magazines, pricy. ~$40. Neither of mine feed that well. The springs are very weak, and CZ said to just send them back for a replacement. Unless they have higher power springs, I doubt that will solve the issue.

But even with a few nitpicks, I just adore shooting this thing. Light, short, handy...very fun. Ammo is definitely cheaper than a similar round, the 30-30.
Old March 16, 2008, 10:39 PM   #6
MartinBrody

I just picked one up at a gun show a couple weeks ago, it was $575 in Allentown, PA. It is decent with irons, but great with a scope, like around 2 moa with cheapo Russian steel cased Barnaul HPs. I put a Leupold FX-II fixed 4X on with medium rings and the bolt just clears. I hear with almost every other scope you need high rings. I would say everything is excellent but the action needed a couple days of handling to work itself smooth. Also, the trigger is fully adjustable and has an adjustable set trigger that I have not messed with yet, but with a little fine tuning I think I could bring this to a 1 1/2 moa rifle with steel cased ammo, maybe better with handloads, but I have heard these like commie ammo. I have looked around and mags run about $45. If you hold one you will love it, great to shoot too.
Old March 17, 2008, 06:47 AM   #7
Magnum Wheel Man

I've got one on my list for this summer...
Old March 17, 2008, 06:49 AM   #8
jpainter

I picked up a new 527 in .204 at a local sporting goods store for 379.00 on sale. James Calhoon makes a milled bolt handle for the scope clearance issue. It is $40 with exchange. I put a pentax 4-16x50 on mine and I am waiting not so patiently for my bolt handle to show up so I can start working up a load for my little gem.
http://www.jamescalhoon.com/pricelist.php
Old March 17, 2008, 05:07 PM   #9
Lawyer Daggit

I had one. You may have trouble chambering civilian commercial ammo.
The rifle wound up being withdrawn from sale by the Aust Agent, Winchester Australia for this reason.

Mine performed well with FMJ chicom commercial stuff, but as soon as I tried any of the commercial hunting ammo I would find 60% would missfire showing a very weak firing pin indent.

Apparently eastern block specs for 7.62x39 are different to SAAMI specs.

Wolf ammo was not available in Aussie while I had mine and so I do not know how it performs it may be the way to go.

After 2 years struggling with it and several returns and complaints to Winchester they swopped my 7.62x39 for a model in .223.

It works well but is not the medium game rifle I wanted the 7.62x39 to be.
Old March 17, 2008, 10:02 PM   #10
UT_Jarhead

I've got a CZ-527 carbine in .223. I love it. Smooth bolt, nice trigger.

Put the Burris rings for the 527 on it with a Burris 2-7x35mm scope. No clearance issues and the scope is just the right size for this kind of rifle. (Tried the Leupold rings with a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40 - won't clear the bolt and scope won't clear the front sight - need to knock off.)

The trigger is nice but the mags are iffy. I've ordered two more to see if mine is just not working properly. Mags are real hard to find right now. Wouldn't surprise me if they are coming out with a different one with better springs.

But don't let that disuade you, it's a fine rifle!
Old March 18, 2008, 01:04 AM   #11
chris in va

Quote:
After 2 years struggling with it and several returns and complaints to Winchester they swopped my 7.62x39 for a model in .223.
Wasn't aware Winchester had anything to do with CZ.
Old March 18, 2008, 03:20 AM   #12
Lawyer Daggit

Chris in Va. Winchester (Australia) is the agent for CZ in Australia. They manufacture nothing in Australia and are a distribution company. I am unaware of their ownership.
Old March 18, 2008, 08:52 AM   #13
pesta2

When my CZ550 arrived I was surprised at the craftsmanship and fishing of the rifle. I think CZ are one of the nicest rifles for the price.