The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 4, 2009, 12:39 PM   #1
SP Shop Foreman

Need help with an ID

Our reloading room is huge, and every once in a while we find and open stored boxes my Dad has had forr 35 years or more.
Can you identify this reloading kit and how its used?

This is the box cover.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Latigo

www.swissproductsllc.com
Old May 4, 2009, 01:17 PM   #2
Dr. Strangelove

Lee Loader

That's a Lee Loader; it appears to be for a rifle caliber. The caliber will be stamped on the "silver part".

Link to the instructions:

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi-data...uct/RE1422.pdf

They are usually quite accurate and kind of fun to use. I got started with one of these in 9mm with my grandfather when I was a kid. Have fun.
Old May 4, 2009, 01:17 PM   #3
Jim Watson

That is the original basic elementary simple cheap Lee Loader. Everything you need to load ammo except components and a mallet.
http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/cata...leeloader.html

Looks like you have everything except instructions which are at:
http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi-data...uct/RE1422.pdf
Old May 4, 2009, 01:17 PM   #4
rwilson452

it is a Lee Loader You can reload ammo with it. You need a hammer, primer powder and bullets also. The die in the case should be marked as to what cartridge it is for.
Old May 4, 2009, 01:34 PM   #5
SP Shop Foreman

Thanks for the answers! I found the patent number and after reading here I found the caliber stamper, very very small at the base. I bet I looked at it for an hour and couldn't figure out the caliber. Turns out is one my Dad bought some 20 years ago for 7.5 Swiss.
Thanks again!

And thanks for the instructions link!

Latigo

www.swissproductsllc.com
Old May 4, 2009, 01:36 PM   #6
lll Otto lll

For anybody that chooses to reload without a powder scale, make sure you wave to your grandmother as you're going toward the light.
Old May 4, 2009, 02:17 PM   #7
SP Shop Foreman

LOL! No, I'm not using it. I just wanted to identify it. We're a full Dillon reloading room.

But thanks for good advice.

Latigo

And I should add that the powder measure full turned out to be a standard load for a k31 rifle with IMR 3031

www.swissproductsllc.com
Old May 4, 2009, 03:57 PM   #8
T. O'Heir

"...for 7.5 Swiss..." It'll be ok for a bolt action using brass fired out of said bolt action, but not a semi-auto. Lee Loaders neck size only. They're slow, but serviceable. Needs a plastic mallet. The scoops can vary the powder charge plus or minus a full grain too.
Old May 4, 2009, 05:06 PM   #9
SP Shop Foreman

Thanks for the answer. We sort of specialize in Swiss Rifles here, so I do know about PE57s, fluted chambers and brass. Actually you can go easily three times with that brass if you anneal. Beyond that its a roll of the dice for a separation.
I don't intend using that kit but I wanted to know more about it because its so old ,still like new in the box and had no directions.
Thanks again.
Latigo

www.swissproductsllc.com
Old May 4, 2009, 05:37 PM   #10
Sevens

Quote:
For anybody that chooses to reload without a powder scale, make sure you wave to your grandmother as you're going toward the light.
No no no. I loaded .38 Special for about three years without any kind of a scale. Lee dippers and data. They write the data to make sure that if you are using the correct dipper with a particular powder, it's a safe, well under max load.

A Lee dipper is no different than any other fixed chamber powder "measure." Stick to the data as provided with the powder dippers or the dipper specific data they include with the reloading dies. Or in this case, the Lee Loader kit.
Quote:
And I should add that the powder measure full turned out to be a standard load for a k31 rifle with IMR 3031
As it should, and exactly as designed.