The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 12, 2006, 11:45 AM   #26
Sweatnbullets

Quote:
Reflexive action is what needs to be first in the fight. Then as the conscious mind catches up the tactics come into action.

The entire time you just do what comes natural. Natural in that you are reacting on instinct and not second guessing yourself.

Moving and shooting is a matter of timing , let the subconcious mind do it. If you think about making the shot, you won't. See the shot.
Very nice! It is rare that I run across people that think as I do (and the people that taught me) on this subject. It is not a widely accepted concept due to much of the past training over the last 25-30 years....but it is an absolute viable one. The level I am at now and the level that I strive to get my students to, would be a "subconsciously competent" level. A level where you have a problem (a threat in need of ventilation) and a solution (ventilation in progress) and everything in between is handled at the subconscious level......you do not even need to think about it. As much as I hate to use the word ...it is Zen like. When you are really rocking and rolling there is an amazing feeling attached to it....a problem and a solution....period.

By doing this you leave the conscious mind free to work on decisions that are best left to it, such as tactics.
Old December 12, 2006, 04:53 PM   #27
Slugthrower

Movement and single handed pistol use.

When you use a pistol for point shooting you must "float" the gun. What I mean, is that you must have the pistol leveled correctly at the target.Presentation is to be smooth and steady. Try walking in a "tactical" crouch while holding a coffee cup filled to within 1/4 inch of the rim. Holding the cup by the handle as you move about. Present the cup as it you are going to give someone the cup. Moving smoothly , as to prevent a spill. That it the way you will present the pistol. Smoothly and as quickly as possible.
You will notice that if you try to do this with both hands it is not as efficient. When using the actual handgun, the feel will be as if you are trying to touch them with the end of the pistol. The pistol must be a natural pointer for you. If the pistol you use isn't, get another. Point shooting requires the pistol to fit perfect. Aimed fire is preferred. Just sometimes there isn't enough time.

Make like a circle and be well rounded.