The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 21, 2013, 11:32 AM   #1
E Rob

22 lr shortage??

What is the deal with the shortage and buying craze with 22 ammo, I can see with other ammo but 22? realy! Is there anyone on here that would ever thought they would see 22 ammo going like this. I saw a gun auction site where 2100 rounds of 22 lr sold for 7.00 a 50 round box!
Old January 21, 2013, 12:15 PM   #2
Alabama Shooter

If they were subsonic match that would not be too far off the mark.

People are reacting to a possible ban by buying everything that says gun on it.
Old January 21, 2013, 12:24 PM   #3
Woody55

Which leaves you as a potential criminal if you hide all the stuff you are buying and they make it illegal to have. Might as well wait and see how it all turns out.
Old January 21, 2013, 01:01 PM   #4
Rifleman1776

There are all kinds of fears about guns and ammo right now. Four years ago it was the same story. Our local Wal-Mart has been out of most ammo for the past three months. The demand will catch up. I am below the minimum amout of bulk .22 ammo I want to keep on hand.
There are proposals to:
serial number and register every round of ammunition sold;
serial number and register every box of ammuntion sold. This would be done with micro-stamping, a very expensive process, to say nothing of the cost of bureaucracy needed to track it all.
Another proposal would be to engrave the firing pin of all guns with micro-stamping to track ammunition used in a crime. Another extremely expensive proposition, especially if it requires retro-fitting all existing guns with micro-stamped firing pins.
And, simplest of all, simply put exhorbitant taxes on all ammunition. e.g. one round of 30-06 might cost $10.00 with taxes.
Answer yer question? I'm buying now.
I am primarily a traditional muzzle loader. We have similar fears about the control and cost of genuine black powder and pure lead.
Old January 21, 2013, 01:31 PM   #5
breakingcontact

If you're clamoring for the popular centerfire stuff and can't find it, 22LR or 22Mag is a good consolation prize.
Old January 21, 2013, 01:39 PM   #6
TheNocturnus

And all of these hoarders are making it impossible for the rest of us to go and get some ammo just to shoot at the range. Thanks guys.
Brain (Use this one the most)
Old January 21, 2013, 01:43 PM   #7
Water-Man

Paranoia comes in all calibers.
Old January 21, 2013, 01:55 PM   #8
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
And all of these hoarders are making it impossible for the rest of us to go and get some ammo just to shoot at the range. Thanks guys.
No. The real hoarders bought BEFORE the crunch. People who are buying now are reselling or panic buying.
Old January 21, 2013, 02:14 PM   #9
UtahHunting

Quote:
No. The real hoarders bought BEFORE the crunch. People who are buying now are reselling or panic buying.
I was one who bought before this crunch right after the last one. In 2008 after the last ammo shortage I stocked up on 22LR and .380 as those are what I shoot the most. At last count I had close to 15k rounds in 22LR and I am afraid to shoot it because I fear what the future holds.

I am somewhat paranoid as to what is going to happen. I have even stocked up on my black powder supplies and those can still be had with ease.
Old January 21, 2013, 02:36 PM   #10
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
At last count I had close to 15k rounds in 22LR and I am afraid to shoot it because I fear what the future holds.
Like what? An invasion of squirrels and cane toads?
Old January 21, 2013, 02:52 PM   #11
silvrjeepr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama Shooter View Post
No. An ammo ban...
Then an invasion of squirrels and came toads.
Old January 21, 2013, 02:56 PM   #12
UtahHunting

In all reality I think the progressive agenda is an all out ban. At the very least I believe you will see some type of tax on ammo regardless of the caliber to try and make it too expensive for the average shooter.
Old January 21, 2013, 02:57 PM   #13
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
No. An ammo ban...
If .22rf gets banned you are going to have much bigger problems.
Old January 21, 2013, 05:10 PM   #14
North East Redneck

Mass is proposing an extra 25% tax on ammo. Will it happen? Maybe. I've been adding to my stock of ammo, and yes, that includes .22.
Old January 21, 2013, 05:16 PM   #15
Dr Big Bird PhD

If they ban .22lr then there's gonna be a lotttttt of problems reallllllyyy quickly
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old January 21, 2013, 05:21 PM   #16
rebs

I seen black hills 223 for 64.99 for 50 rounds at a local gun shop. They were completely out of 22lr.
Old January 21, 2013, 05:24 PM   #17
breakingcontact

Just tell the hoarders they are buying non-tactical ammo and they'll put it back on the shelf.
Old January 22, 2013, 08:49 AM   #18
Xaak

BreakingContact said - "Just tell the hoarders they are buying non-tactical ammo and they'll put it back on the shelf."

Unless of course they are buying CCI AR Tactical 40 gr 22 lr, then that makes their 10 22 a tactical rifle. I bought a box and I am thinking about hitting the buying glut by selling my 10 22 plinker with a box of that ammo and calling it the tactical rifle package, throw in a sling, 800 bucks
Old January 22, 2013, 10:50 AM   #19
breakingcontact

Good point. Forgot about those AR tactical 22LR rounds. More deadly than a 308.
Old January 22, 2013, 12:34 PM   #20
CharlieDeltaJuliet

I was just at my local Walmart, they still had 100 round boxes of CCI mini mags. I always try to keep a few thousand rounds of bulk .22lr on hand. I was lucky enough to buy 4500 rounds of CCI Blazer the day before this panic started.. I really don't understand it, other than people are buying anything they can right now...anything. I swear I could make a rubberband gun, paint it black, put a pistol grip and a forward grip on it and people would buy it too.... This nonsense has happened before, and probably will again. This time is might be a little worse just because so many more are trying to buy stuff...

My wife gave a friend if ours some great advice... He started talking about spending thousands and the impending ammo shortage, she simply said.... This too shall pass...

Ammo will catch back up eventually. It just takes time. When idiots are buying 2-5k rounds of 5.56 at $1+ a round, just laugh knowing that ammo will continue to be made and eventually will be on the shelves again... While it may never be $0.25 a round again, it most likely will not be $1 a round either...
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old January 22, 2013, 01:25 PM   #21
zincwarrior

Quote:
Quote:
At last count I had close to 15k rounds in 22LR and I am afraid to shoot it because I fear what the future holds.

Our wiener dogs have been warning about the pending squirrel menace for some time.

As noted above, I don't think its hoarders per se, but panicked buyers and speculators.
Old January 22, 2013, 01:46 PM   #22
vito

Whether it is panic buying or hoarders doesn't much matter if the end result is that you can't find the ammo on the shelves. That said, I think it is panic buying, and shows little sign of abating right now. Probably when someone first wrote "..beat your swords in plowshares..." there was a run on swords.
Old January 22, 2013, 10:07 PM   #23
hunter52

I am not a hoarder, nor am I a panic buyer, but I do have 43 bulk packs of 22lr, Remington 525 packs Federal 550 and 525 packs plus a dozen bricks of Win. wildcat , Winchester T22 and Federal American Eagle plus odds and ends of CCI ,Stingers, MiniMag, . Some of the packs are 10- 12 or so years old. Price on them was $8.99.
I used to buy a couple packs every time we went to town (78 miles to the nearest WalMart) because my 3 boys and I could go through one or two on a weekend with ease.
My sons all went off to college, and I kept buying 22's every time I went to town. My sons are all moved away and busy with their own lives now and I just don't shoot as much as I used to.
I see prices of the bulk packs on GunBroker approaching $70 and am tempted to just sell it all off , but then the little voice in the back of my head that I have learned to trust tells me not to.
Old January 22, 2013, 10:41 PM   #24
xnaerughiazk

It's not just about guns and ammo

It is also about a feared financial collapse.

The entire western world is in huge debt. Almost all nations are buying their own bonds. All central banks are printing money like a banshee. Inflation fears are on the horizon. What would you rather hold in your hand a fist full of worthless dollars or a brick of 22s?
Old January 22, 2013, 11:43 PM   #25
Sure Shot Mc Gee

The easiest and cheapest bullets to produce. When it get down to shortages in 22s in the market place. It's a problem. Don't want to be a naysayer. But I've seen shortages of ammo and components in the past. But not like it is now. I've curtailed my center-fire & rim fire shooting altogether. I do have a small amount of supplies and a brick or two of 22s But I feel there is more of a need for me to keep that level of preparedness available.

S/S