The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 18, 2013, 04:02 PM   #1
Kimio

Questions about the Galil

I was wondering if there are any companies that are still making them, kind of like how DSA bought the tooling to make FN FAL' and such.

From my understanding there are several variants of the Galil to include one that was apprently chambered in 7.62x51 NATO. Is the 5.56 variant the only one that's available to the civilian market?
Old January 18, 2013, 06:15 PM   #2
whitearrow

yeah century arms makes the golani which is patterned after the galil. do a little research on the golani as the quality seems to be hit or miss. now if you could get your hands on a IMI galil wel then that would deffinently be a horse of a different color as that is the original.
good luck,
whitearrow
Old January 18, 2013, 11:14 PM   #3
5.56RifleGuy

Red jacket, ohio rapid fire and a few othrrs were putting them together. Century did the Golani for a while, but I think they have stopped. I had a century built Golani, and I was not very impressed with the quality. The top cover was really hard to get back on. I have seen others that were poorly built also. I have an original ARM model by IMI and the quality is 100 times better. The Golani I got for like $550, and the real one was almost $3000. I just sold the Golani for almost $1200. If hou find a Golani you want, make sure you check it out in person. You can tell whats wrong with them usually by just checking out the safety and other funtions like that. The 7.62 Galil wss a one off made specificly for the US market, I have heard. I dont think anyone is making them right now because there are no parts kits for them. The magazines are pricey for the 7.62 version.

The galil is pretty cool to shoot. Its a little on the heavy side for the caliber. Has a lot of neat little features on it. Bottle opener, wire cutter, ambi safety.