The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 2, 2011, 12:07 PM   #1
jepp2

Redding Type S Bushing Die - anyone using?

I just wanted to check to see if anyone was using the Redding Type S die where you control how much the neck is sized by using different bushings.

Do you have any experience with improved accuracy or longer case life?
Old August 2, 2011, 12:32 PM   #2
243winxb

Redding Type-S Full Length Sizing Bushing Die

Using the FL S bushing die helped my accuracy, plus neck turning, and benchrest prep of the brass in 243win. Rem. 40X rifle & a old Rem. 600 carbine. Brass life is longer compared to standard RCBS dies because no expander is used. So far 16 & 18 loadings on the Win. brass. You will need about 3 bushings. Still using the RCBS seater. [IMG][/IMG] Click for larger photo.
Old August 2, 2011, 01:03 PM   #3
Hammerhead

Quote:
Using the FL S bushing die helped my accuracy, plus neck turning, and benchrest prep of the brass in 243win. Rem. 40X rifle & a old Rem. 600 carbine. Brass life is longer compared to standard RCBS dies because no expander is used. So far 16 & 18 loadings on the Win. brass. You will need about 3 bushings. Still using the RCBS seater.
Do you use a body die?
Old August 2, 2011, 01:45 PM   #4
243winxb

Quote:
Do you use a body die?
No, if you leave the bushing out of a Type-S FL die, you have a body die. Redding has said the body die sizes the same as a Full length die, just not he neck. Redding also makes a Type-S die that only neck sizes. It will not bump the shoulder back or size the body.
Old August 2, 2011, 10:47 PM   #5
Clark

I used a Redding FL "S" bushing die for years, because it cost the most and looked the best of my .223 sizer dies.

Then I did a test with populations of brass dedicated to different dies.

The S die was the worst for eccentricity and case growth.

The Lee Collet neck die [cheapest and ugliest in the group] was the best, and it has been gathering dust for 5 years on my shelf.

RCBS and Forster were in the middle.

So I got to use the line from "Deliverance" when I looked in the mirror, 'You don't know nuth'n, do ya?"
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old August 3, 2011, 12:41 AM   #6
Ideal Tool

Hello jepp2. I use them for the .22 Hornet & .222 Rem. Also, a pre-war 7X57 Mauser sporter with oversize groove dia. that I am using cast-bullets in. Bullet dia. is .288, so with S die, I can custom size necks to needed dia. without sizing them way down for the std. 7mm bullet. & having to expand back up.
Old August 3, 2011, 02:27 AM   #7
old roper

I mainly use Wilson bushing dies and seaters. I'd build a 280AI and 243AI I'd pick up Redding Type S FL and neck sizer for each rifle just to try.

Good dies I've shot some small groups using them and I like that they include a undersized retainer in place of the expander ball. On my non tight neck rifles I'll clean up the neck and Wilson bushing fit the Redding dies so I have a pretty good collection.

It's hard to say in a factory chamber rifle if groups will improve using bushing dies. For me if rifle got a good chamber having that option of using bushing dies to adjust neck tension may help fine tune a load.

Hard to say on brass life alot depends on how hard your pushing them.
Old August 3, 2011, 07:01 AM   #8
243winxb

As Clark said, bushing dies are not always the answer. If the bushing has to size the fired case neck down more than .008" there can be a need to size in steps, using 2 bushing. Redding covers this on there web site.
Old August 3, 2011, 10:27 AM   #9
Unclenick
Staff

Also, as Clark says, the inexpensive Lee Collet Die does the best job pretty consistently. See this video. It takes a little time to get used to the Lee (a learning curve) but it is just better in operating principle. As a bonus, its mandrel prevens the formation of the "dreaded donut" at the junction of the neck and shoulder that requires periodic inside neck reaming to clear out if your bullets seat that deeply.

I like to use the Lee Collet Die, then a Redding Body Die as a separate step to bump the shoulder back. This saves buying the bushings, so it is also a more economical combination. The only drawback is it involves running two sizing steps.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; August 4, 2011 at 10:14 AM.
Old August 3, 2011, 04:45 PM   #10
jepp2

Quote:
The S die was the worst for eccentricity and case growth.
Wow, I wouldn't have expected that.

Using the Redding die to bump the shoulder makes sense to me. It just seems to be the more controllable way to achieve the desired bump.

I guess I will have to give the Lee collet die starting with my 222 Remington.
Old August 4, 2011, 11:07 AM   #11
Unclenick
Staff

You can just leave the bushing out of the Redding FL S die to use it as a body die. The shoulder pulling is moslty caused by the expander. If you get all your case necks uniform and pick the bushing that gets the inside just right with no expander in place, that should, ideally, prevent the problem from occurring. As a matter of practice, though, I think some presses and shell holders can pull the case off a little before the neck fully clears the bushing.

I've become sold on the Lee Collet Die as a way to avoid the whole problem and avoid getting donuts in the neck.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old August 5, 2011, 04:07 PM   #12
zeke

Am using a Reddiing s neck die in 308. For autos it gets used after a full length sizing with another die. Neither sizing step uses a expander plug, unless a trimming sequence is needed. It has a real advantage when using different makes of brass, where the brass thickness is all over the map. When adjusted properly, the bushing "floats", and appears to keep the case neck aligned with the body.