The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old January 12, 1999, 03:45 PM   #1
Rocco

Although I have plenty of references to how to disassemble a M1 Carbine, the same does not apply to the M2.

Inasmuch the former strips to a few major groups, will the latter do as much?

The additional parts seem to be [haphazardly] connected, i.e., assembled in such a manner that stripping them may prove to be a quite involved matter.

I'd appreciate any help!

------------------
Si vis Pacem, Para Bellum -- Audaces Fortuna iuvat

Old January 12, 1999, 08:15 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Not meaning to be a smartass [Well, smartass, yes; hostile no :-)], but remember the M2 is simple enough that two generations of GIs had no trouble with it...

Take the metal stuff out of the wooden thingie, and slowly cycle the operating rod, and cycle the selector back and forth a few times. It oughta all be pretty obvious, since it'll only go together one way...

You can find the GI Manual at a lot of gun shows, in Paladin Press catalogues, etc.

Regardless of the effectiveness of their ".32-20" style cartridge, they're fun little chatterguns to shoot. And the stock won't break if you have to butt-stroke somebody, not like some Mattel Models I've seen. :-)

Enjoy!
Old January 13, 1999, 02:46 AM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

This information is provided for entertainment purposes only:

1) Separate the receiver/barrel group from the stock. Unseat the operating slide spring and guide from the operating slide and, leaving the operating slide in place, remove the slide spring & guide.
2) Rotate the selector switch to semiautomatic (rear setting). Now, use the operating slide spring guide to dismount the selector switch spring.
3) Rotate the selector switch forward and afterwards, slide it to the rear to disengage it for removal.
4) Push the trigger housing/selector pin to unseat the disconnector lever and once you've done that, you may remove the disconnector lever.
5) Remove the trigger housing. Be careful as you don't want the disconnector plunger and spring to pop out.
6) Proceed as you would with an M1 Carbine.

Art is right, buy a manual. It's easier when you've got one of those and they're less than $10.
Old January 13, 1999, 07:47 AM   #4
Rocco

Art,

Smartass or no, you do have the benefits of familiarity and 'full supply'...

Things that I do not have! ;D

Residing - as I do - outside the US *DOES* make some things a bit more hard to get, i.e., there are no gun shows around, for one thing...

Paladin Press is a feasible option, although one is subject to postal/customs busybodies...

Hmmm, besides, I'd say that, after reading Gary's reply, that the actual procedures are a bit more involved than your description, wouldn't you?

I agree that the M2s are fun and handy to have around! That's why I got myself one, BTW.

Now, if I could get those pesky 30-rnd mags to work, ho-hum, I'd be just fine! <VBG>

Thanks for the input!

Rocco
Old January 13, 1999, 07:58 AM   #5
Rocco

Gary,

Thanks a lot for the instructions!

I'll try the drill later tonight!

Accept my congrats for a very nice job!

Rocco

Old January 13, 1999, 05:53 PM   #6
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Rocco: Duh! Didn't realize you were out of country. The old "assume" word as to availability of info...I'm also 1,400 miles from my other home where most of the toys are, including my carbine...

In any manual, there are only a few pages with truly important information. Is ordinary letter-mail of only a few pages subject to inspection? Easy enough to Xerox or clip stuff and send it to you...

The carbine, Garand, Mini-14 and Springfield Armory M1A1 all come apart so easily. You just sort of "monkey around", and the next thing you know, you have a bunch of parts! Of course, getting things all back together...
Old January 14, 1999, 11:50 AM   #7
Rocco

Art,

Thanx a lot for your offer! I'll greedily take it, shame on me...

OTOH, postal ordinances are such that it's safer to have them checked. I'll do so and return to you in private to avoid bandwidth clutter.

Thanx again!

BTW, the very first time I dismantled my GM .45ACP, the recoil spring plug went ballistic and shattered my glasses! It goes without saying that if I wasn't a blind bat without 'em in the first place, I could have ended with one less eye.

Huh, howz that for the Clumsy Award?

Regards,

Rocco