The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old January 29, 2006, 01:56 PM   #1
Te Anau

The Masterpiece Arms "9mm Mini Defender" is out!

You have to be a real tough guy to even consider looking at their website let alone buy one of their guns.These babies should be in every gun safe in America.All other semis stand down when faced with a Masterpiece Arms
confrontation!
http://www.masterpiecearms.com/Mini9.html?
Make sure you move your cursor (if you have the guts to go there) over the
gun so you can see both sides.
Old January 29, 2006, 02:02 PM   #2
281 Quad Cam

What does soemthing like this sell for?

If its under $150 I'll think about it.
Old January 29, 2006, 02:33 PM   #3
Padawan

Old January 29, 2006, 02:34 PM   #4
Handy

Wow! That thing is now almost as small as a pistol!
Old January 29, 2006, 03:25 PM   #5
45SuperBob

I see they finally modified it to take clips instead of those horrible magazines.
Old January 29, 2006, 03:45 PM   #6
Wildalaska

Pass

WildnothanksAlaska
Old January 29, 2006, 04:05 PM   #7
BAD_KARMA

you must have never shot one. They are cool when they are full auto. Semi versions are just not even close. You are better off with 30 rd. clips in any quality pistol. While they look cool they are heavy and have horrible sights.
Old January 29, 2006, 04:44 PM   #8
old_ironsights

Looks like it was made in shop class, and I'll bet it's heavier than a boat anchor.

No good for the range. No good for concealed carry. No good for hunting. So...what DO you use this thing for, Te?

Old Ironsights
Old January 29, 2006, 05:01 PM   #9
mtnbkr

Ironsights, it's for posing. Gotta look cool ya know.

Chris
Old January 29, 2006, 06:39 PM   #10
'75Scout

I've fired someones at an indoor range. He let my group of three fire it because I let his 5 kids used my uncles Ruger MKII. It was a very fun gun to fire. I was able to get 3 center of mass shots out of five. The sights sucked and my dad said it had some trigger slap, I didn't notice. The spring was so tight it was very hard to work the slide. I'd rather put the money toward my next purchase, a Kimber Tactical Ultra II.
Old January 29, 2006, 10:27 PM   #11
FirstFreedom

Hmmm, so you just pick one of the three rear sight holes when shooting it - the left or right one when you want to miss, and the top one when you don't?
Old January 29, 2006, 10:42 PM   #12
stratus

Quote:
You have to be a real tough guy to even consider looking at their website let alone buy one of their guns.
Ah, well, I must buy one right away, or somebody might think I'm not as tough as I say.
Old January 29, 2006, 10:46 PM   #13
swmike

If I was to buy one of these I'd then have to start wearing baggy/saggy pants, a tee shirt that came to my knees, and shave my head. Sorry, too old for any of the above.

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".

Old January 30, 2006, 10:50 AM   #14
Te Anau

Quote:
Hmmm, so you just pick one of the three rear sight holes when shooting it - the left or right one when you want to miss, and the top one when you don't?
Considering how they have a peep rear and post front this statement makes no sense at all.The top peep lines up perfectly with the sweet front post
Quote:
Looks like it was made in shop class, and I'll bet it's heavier than a boat anchor.
Yah----I should have clarified that you have to be SMART and a tough guy to own a MPA.
Old January 30, 2006, 12:56 PM   #15
mtnbkr

Quote:
Yah----I should have clarified that you have to be SMART and a tough guy to own a MPA
Honestly, are you 15yo or something? Seems that everytime I see a post from you, it's about being "man enough" for <gun of choice> or some other macho nonsense.

Chris
Old January 30, 2006, 01:45 PM   #16
nemesis

Quote:
You have to be a real tough guy to even consider looking at their website let alone buy one of their guns.These babies should be in every gun safe in America.All other semis stand down when faced with a Masterpiece Arms
confrontation!
We had a guy in the range a couple of weeks ago and I didn't pay much attention except to notice he was firing what I thought was a carbine, from the hip.

I had to do a quick fix on a target carrier in the lane next to his and I saw that he was shooting one of those Masterpiece MAC's and it had a fake can on it. That focused my attention and I noted that he was firing at 3 to 4 yards and he actually did hit the target now and again. I checked closely out of curiosity.

He came off the firing line later and asked me if we installed some sort of thing I didn't understand so he took it out and showed me. It was one of those Roto-Rooter trigger crank gizmos that's supposed to be the same as full auto fire. I told him we stayed away from that kind of stuff so he had us install one of those $15.95 lasers that attaches to the front of the triggerguard.

I don't figure I'm up to one of those "babies" yet.
Old January 30, 2006, 01:59 PM   #17
Jart

Perhaps it's just the pic, but the rear sight doesn't appear usable. The (middle) aperture looks way too small to function as a "ghost ring" at arms length, much less in poor lighting.

A precision-sized aperture on that thing seems... incongruous.
Old January 30, 2006, 02:09 PM   #18
Fremmer

They look OK, but just OK. I'm not sure what I'd do with one. Nothing wrong with that kind of gun, just not to my taste.

Quote:
confrontation!
Well, after looking at the website, I feel much tougher. And as far as the "confrontation" between a MPA and a non-MPA, I'll stick with my SKS, thank you. It may not be a "masterpiece", but I think that it would suffice.
Old January 30, 2006, 02:20 PM   #19
Handy

Do they have real guns, too, or just 3D cad mock ups? The website just seems to have the video game version.
Old January 30, 2006, 02:39 PM   #20
FirstFreedom

Quote:
Quote:
Considering how they have a peep rear and post front this statement makes no sense at all.The top peep lines up perfectly with the sweet front post
No, not exactly. They have no less than three peep rears; hence my question. I infer from your answer that you use the top one, as I had suspected. My question would be WHY are there 2 others which would mis-align you? Why put something that would lead you to accidentally use it instead of the correct one, being the exact same size, shape & configuration as the correct one (just in a different spot), when under stress you might accidentally use one of the side ones, and therefore miss your target? Perhaps there's a reason, but I just don't get it. Or, perhaps the picture there is not an accurate representation of the real gun's design?
Old January 30, 2006, 03:30 PM   #21
Jart

Quote:
Do they have real guns, too ...
2003 ATF report as compiled by some industry group was around 1,240, I believe. All handguns. Aha - found it.

Those reports are getting harder to come by - I gather ATF was prohibited by their funding bill from using public funds to compile such reports since '03. A development I applaud.
Old January 30, 2006, 03:55 PM   #22
Petre

:barf: Dang ... I thought this was a joke!

DOCTORS
A The number of Doctors in the U.S. is approximately 700,000
B Accidental deaths caused by Doctors per year average 120,000 or 0.171 per Doctor
GUNS
A The number of legal gun owners in the U.S. is currently over 80,000,000
B The number of accidental gun deaths per year, all age groups, is 1500 or .000188 per gun owner

Statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000x more dangerous than gun owners

Remember, Guns don't kill people, DOCTORS do
Old January 30, 2006, 05:34 PM   #23
Te Anau

Quote:
I don't figure I'm up to one of those "babies" yet.
Not many people are my friend,not many people are.
Quote:
Perhaps it's just the pic, but the rear sight doesn't appear usable. The (middle) aperture looks way too small to function as a "ghost ring" at arms length, much less in poor lighting.
Trust me,it works just fine.And by the way,I own the super bad MPA-10T which is the full size .45acp
Its rear site only has the top peep at the rear.Works better than you would guess.
Old January 30, 2006, 06:01 PM   #24
Sulaco2

I'm with Wild Alaska on this one, large, heavy, clumsy pistol PASS
Old January 30, 2006, 06:08 PM   #25
shooter_john

Does thistough mutha come with a 'super bad' DOO RAG or a freakalicious crack pipe?