The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old March 1, 2014, 08:51 AM   #1
Ghost22

IDPA Sights

I’ve been to 3 IDPA matches now, and so far it been a lot of fun. I was thinking of upgrading the sights on my CZ 75b. So far the majority of opinion on Google is a fiber optic front and black rear works best. The only manufactures that make fiber optic CZ sights are HiViz and CZ Custom as far as I can tell. Anyone have opinions or experience on either one?

I was also thinking about just replacing the front sight with a stock height fiber optic, and blacking out the dots on my stock rear sight. Has anyone tried that, and if so how did it turn out?

Thanks in advance.
Old March 2, 2014, 07:12 AM   #2
Larry K

interested to see what others have found. I have just recently blacked out my rears. Have yet to try it in competition, but Dry Fire practice sure seems better, that said I did also paint a small white "I" line in the center of my rears to reference for center ala My Sig P229. While not a "Fiber Optic" front I did change the front PiP to a fluorescent Red last Oct. that seemed to help in getting my sight picture a bit faster
Old March 2, 2014, 01:16 PM   #3
Nanuk

I have Hiviz on my G31C that I shoot in IDPA. I like it.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old March 2, 2014, 05:40 PM   #4
Bultaco

I use the CZ fiber optic front with black rear on my 75 SA. I prefer that the fiber not extend outside the sight blade. If it is trimmed back & recessed in the blade you have the light to attract your eye for fast shots & the front sight outline not blurred by a too big a FO for precision shots.
Old March 3, 2014, 01:28 PM   #5
WESHOOT2

Is Dawson Precision offering a CZ choice?
Old March 5, 2014, 11:07 PM   #6
MP9

How long has you been shooting in competition beside these 3 idpa matches?

If you dont have any other experience or so few, just keep shooting with what you got. you already have a good gun. use it as it is. Once you get better, then start upgrading your gun.

I would suggest, DRY FIRE.. you will learn and improve MORE with drying firing than upgrading your gun with the best aftermarket parts or expending $2000 in ammo. really!

I dont know so much about those sights, but seems to be big for competition as far as I know but might be wrong. usually for competition you want a small fiber rod. Aiming at 20 yards at COM with a big fiber will cover the whole target.

rear sights black is good. I had a m&p with factory sight and I installed FO front and covered the dots in the rear sight.. then for my glock I got 10-8 performance rear and FO front.

you could check http://czcustom.com/

good luck
Old March 6, 2014, 08:07 AM   #7
Ghost22

I don’t have much action pistol experience (I’ve competed with shotguns and some metallic silhouette), so I was thinking working on the software (i.e. me) than the hardware. So far, I have tried to limit myself to very cheap upgrades on the pistol: I’ve put $5 of grip tape over the cheap plastic grips, and I’ve glued leather pads (made from an old belt) to the bottom of the magazines to help protect the base plates. All my other monetary investments are in reloading components.

I noticed while practicing moving while aiming in my garage that the front site gets lost in its own shadow often. While this shouldn’t be as noticeable when I’m on an outdoor range, the club also uses an indoor range that I hope to go to one of these days. I’ve also read a fiber optic sight helps shooters ‘follow the dot’ during recoil, but I have had a chance to validate this yet.

Part of this question is figuring out whether I can get away with another relatively cheap upgrade by purchasing a stock height FO front sight for $40 and just blacken the rear dots, or do I need to wait until I can justify $80 for a taller FO front and taller ‘improved’ rear sight.
Old March 6, 2014, 12:39 PM   #8
RickB

I think FO front sights are a worthwhile upgrade for any use other than shooting black bullseyes. Most people with whom I shoot, and myself, prefer a plain, square rear notch, and a relatively narrow FO front.
I have two guns that came with 3-dot sights, and blacking out the rear dots does a pretty good job of providing a decent sight picture, but the front is still usually too wide.
Most rear notches are in the .120"-.130" range, with a similar width front post, and I much prefer a .10" front. Some buddies - better shooters than I - use .090". I don't know anyone using any sort of "big" sights, either very wide notches or giant dots, or whatever. You need precision, even in IDPA.
Old March 8, 2014, 08:44 AM   #9
Ghost22

I think I have a new rule

If I have an IDPA question, look for the PowerFactor show first. In episode 44 and 45, Steve and Rick basically explain away all my questions. For now, I think I'll blacken the rear dots and leave the front alone. According to my calipers, the front post and rear notch are both .125". In future, I'll get the front .100" wide FO sight from CZ Custom. This will give me a front/rear width ratio of 1.25, which should help with sighting speed.

But this leads me to another question. The rear sight on the CZ is actually recessed dots. Is there a good way to both fill the recessed and paint the dots at the same time, preferably without taking the sight off the gun? Black nail polish comes to mind, but I'm curious if others have better methods.
Old March 9, 2014, 12:54 PM   #10
RickB

I used a Sharpie paint pen the blacken my dots. It's oil-based, and holds up well.
Powerfactor Show is great. That Rick is smart, and handsome, too.
Old March 9, 2014, 05:13 PM   #11
g.willikers

You left out amusing, too.