The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 2, 2012, 07:19 PM   #1
sigcurious

Woohoo! All Set Up!

Just finished setting up my new lee classic turret! My initial impressions are...geez did Lee hire the people from Ikea to write their assembly instructions? Fortunately it's all together and I'm 99% sure it's assembled correctly after consulting some videos on youtube. Just need to tumble my brass and get components tomorrow. I should have my first loaded rounds on Sunday!

Any last minute tips or tricks are welcome, particularly in regards to the fine adjustment of the dies.
Old August 2, 2012, 07:22 PM   #2
jepp2

Knowing if you are loading for handguns or rifles would help a lot in giving guidance. The two are totally different in approach and specifics on die set up.

Welcome to the obsession!
Old August 2, 2012, 08:06 PM   #3
sigcurious

whoops! Handguns, 9mm.
Old August 2, 2012, 08:56 PM   #4
jepp2

For the 9mm the largest variable is OAL. I have seen OAL's vary from 1.010 to the SAAMI max of 1.169". As little as 0.020" can change chamber pressure significantly. So to make sure your selected loads are safe, use the same bullet seating depth.

If you are using the same exact bullet as the load data, then use the same OAL. If you are using the same weight bullet but a different manufacturer or type (FMJ, HP, conical, etc.) what determines peak pressure is how deep the bullet is seated into the case. So either calculate how deep the bullet is seated into the case, or be conservative with your starting load. Bullet lengths are available for most bullets here.

When you flare the case, measure the amount you flare. Excessive flare can result in setback when the round is chambered. Setback can dramatically increase pressure. Check to make sure your rounds chamber without setback. Your crimp should just close the flare.

Pick a mid range burn rate powder to start with. Fast burning powders can exacerbate the pressure spikes in reduced case volume.

If any of this isn't clear, ask questions. Other than that, the 9mm is a fairly easy round to load for.
Old August 2, 2012, 08:58 PM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Handguns, you can pretty much set the dies according to the instructions. They mostly require less tweaking for correct adjustment than a rifle die might.

You want them Size/Decap, Powder/Expand, Seat/Crimp. Seat/Crimp may or may not be separate dies, many people get better results with separate seat/crimp operations.

On adjusting the seat/crimp die for doing both in one station, make sure you set it up in the right order.

First, run a sized, expanded case all the way up in the seating die position.

Second, screw the die in until it touches the case. This will be the crimp shoulder inside the die contacting the case mouth, it should be a positive "thud" type stop.

Third, back the die out a full turn and unscrew the seating plug most of the way.

Fourth, place a bullet in the case mouth and raise the ram. Screw in the seating plug until it contacts the bullet.

Fifth, lower the ram and screw in the seating plug a couple turns. Raise the ram again. The bullet should be seated somewhat. Repeat this stepo until you achieve the OAL you desire. Don't over adjust. You're better off doing it 10 times than going too short.

Sixth, unscrew the seating plug again.

Seventh, raise the now correct length "dummy round" and screw die down to contact.

Eighth, lower the ram and screw the die in 1/4 turn. MAKE SURE THE SEATING PLUG IS WAY OUT.

Ninth, raise the ram, this should crimp your case. Your only looking to flatten the expanded area, not crush the bullet. Repeat steps 8 and 9 until desired crimp is reached.

10, raise the now correct OAL and crimped dummy round into the die and screw the seating stem to "full stop" contact.

Your die is adjusted.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; August 2, 2012 at 09:57 PM.
Old August 2, 2012, 09:12 PM   #6
tkglazie

Brian's on station seating/crimping instructions are excellent should you go this route. As he mentioned, it really isnt necessary though. The beauty of the LCT is having that 4th station there to break up the seating and crimping operations. You can set your seating die to just remove the bellmouth and then add in whatever crimp you want at station 4. Personally, I just give it a light crimp with the FCD as a doublecheck that the bellmouth has been removed.

The real beauty of separate seating and crimping is evident when you are swapping out different types of bullets. With the seating die body set to just remove the bellmouth rather than adding a crimp, all you have to do every time you change bullets is back out the seating plug, place the bullet, then raise the ram, measure, adjust the plug depth, raise the ram, measure, etc until you get the OAL you want. I havent touched any of my handgun die bodies in thousands of rounds, just the seating plug. Heck, even when I clean the dies they stay in their turrets.

Good purchase. Happy loading.