The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 12, 1999, 07:44 PM   #1
SB

I found a good article on the Columbine shooting. Let's study it and do our best not to let it happen again.

http://www.janes.com/police/editors/class.html
Old September 12, 1999, 11:21 PM   #2
pete80

The kids were evil, not the guns or bombs they used. The little bastards could have used molitov coctails and machetes with the same "horrific" affect! Good article, very informative.
Old September 13, 1999, 08:57 AM   #3
SB

Yeah, I brought this thread up in two other forums, and on one, I had mentioned how the article neglected to mention that harmless video games and paintball games are not the culprit since there's no correlation between these types of activities and domestic terrorism. They were psychpaths to begin with.

There were other things that bugged me about the article. Rather than repeating myself, I'll just put a link up:

http://www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000430.html

Nonetheless, I thought the article was very useful for academic use and to help prevent future disasters like this one.
Old October 8, 1999, 01:20 AM   #4
?Stealthgunfire
Retired Screen Name

Post deleted for reasons not worthy of explanation.
Rich Lucibella

[This message has been edited by Rich Lucibella (edited October 13, 1999).]
Old October 8, 1999, 01:33 AM   #5
SB

That's a very interesting point you bring up, ?Stealthgunfire.

You know, when I was younger, I had my share of bullies. Not as bad as the scenario you described. Still, nothing put more loathing, fear, and anger into me better than a good school bully.

But why didn't they stand up for themselves? Often times, when you are bullied, and you stand up for yourself, bullies will back down. Instead these two teens decided to bottle up their emotions and explode with extreme violence. Is this a productive, healthy way to react to social stressors?

The source of their frustration may not be their fault, but their response is. It's a shame things ended up the way it did.
Old October 11, 1999, 04:07 PM   #6
Dave AA

Interesting article. How in the world would increased gun control make any difference to these determined indivuduals? If they had spent more time perfecting their explosives, instead of relying on firearms, the attack would have been even more successful.
Old October 12, 1999, 03:44 AM   #7
SB

At least one individual from the link provided suggests, in essence, an armed society is a polite society, which I agree. I would only add that the society be both armed and responsible.
Old October 13, 1999, 06:06 PM   #8
Tim Burke

?Stealthgunfire writes:
> those bastard kids they shot got what they deserved
I wasn't aware that Colorado had the death penalty for spitting and throwing bags of urine on people.
Nor was I aware that Harris and Klebold restricted themselves to shooting only those that had participated in those activities.
Even so, Harris & Klebold were cowardly wretches.

------------------
TB., NC
rosie.acmecity.com/bebe/6/index.html

Old October 13, 1999, 06:26 PM   #9
Tim Burke

From the article referenced in the first note of the thread:
Harris and Klebold developed express exit strategies as well as plans to take their assault out into the surrounding neighbourhood. Only police gunfire and locking manoeuvres by SWAT team members drove them back inside the school and isolated them, thereby foiling the more extensive and violent operation

Am I the only one that thinks it was a miscalculation for the police to shoot at them as they left the building? Let them out of the building, let them get out in the open, cut off their ability to return to the building full of hostages, and then shoot them. Actually, at that point, they might even surrender if challenged, if they hadn't had the time to get their nerve up to commit suicide.
In any case, if the authorities wanted to isolate them, I would have thought that they would have wanted to isolate them away from the hostages/bystanders.

------------------
TB., NC
rosie.acmecity.com/bebe/6/index.html

Old October 13, 1999, 11:06 PM   #10
SB

That's a good point you brought up.

Imagine if the two boys could go anywhere they wanted doing whatever they wanted, fighting house to house? Either way, hostages will be involved, but at least with containment, the Police have some level of control over the situation. No, when the containment fields are set up, nobody outside gets in, and nobody hostile gets out.

And yes, ideally, the Police would want to separate and remove the hostages from the criminals. But it doesn't always happen right away. Sadly, some doesn't happen at all. But anyway, that's the basic idea.
Old October 14, 1999, 01:59 AM   #11
SKN

To the displeasure of many involved, some of the video footage from the school's security cameras has been made public. Thus far, nothing explicit.