The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 20, 2008, 02:11 PM   #1
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

AAR: EAG Level 2 pistol and COC courses

Last week daughter Ashleigh and I attended an EAG two-day Level 2 pistol course followed by a three-day Carbine Operator’s course in Casa Grande. Lead instructor was Pat Rogers assisted by Mike Hueser. There were 18-19 total shooters in both courses, with five attending both, and were a mix of cops and private citizens. Pistols used included 1911s, M&Ps, Glocks and SIGs. All were functional and no gear related issues were observed

I used my well-worn Kimber Custom, while Ashleigh used the new Kimber Crimson Carry for the pistol course. Each gun ran 100% except for two Type-1 malfunctions with my pistol, both operator induced, by not fully seating a stock GI mag. I reckon I’ve become a bit spoiled by thicker base plates… Lesson learned: Train and carry with mags that either have a thicker base plate or a stock base plate as mixing the two may cause problems.

The pistol course covered the drawstroke, positional shooting, failure drills, box drills, roadhouse rules, non-standard responses, a night shoot utilizing several different techniques, and more. In short, I received as much sustainment training in two days with Pat as I have in other schools five-day courses.

The top shooter for the pistol course was a Pinal County Deputy Sheriff, followed closely by a Casa Grande PD cop. Both were hard shooters and a shoot off was required to determine the top shooter.

At the beginning of the carbine course each student received a bag from Bravo Company Manufacturing that contained a BCM magazine, a Lancer L5 mag, several Bolt Upgrade Kits, a BCM cap and mouse pad. From Larue Tactial each student received an EAG dillo, Larue cap, Dillo Dust and other stuff. Additionally each student received two PMAGs from Magpul, and a copy of S.W.A.T. Magazine

As expected, there were many brands of AR-type rifles for the carbine course. Ashleigh used her Cavalry Arms Cav-15 rifle with an EOTech, and I used my SLR15 with an Aimpoint M4. The Cav Arms carbine ran 100%, and I had one Type-3 malfunction while using a Lancer magazine. I was also trying out a new “match” trigger that went Tango Uniform on Day 3. The stock trigger and hammer were reinstalled and I was back on the line within 10 minutes with no further problems. Other shooters had issues with worn out gas rings/extractors/extractor springs. Learning occured that normal wear parts need to be replaced. Another shooter had a new rifle with a loose barrel nut and had to borrow a carbine to finish the course.

While Pat and Mike can help a shooter with marksmanship issues, EAG classes are about fighting, not just shooting. Mindset is everything when using a firearm for self-defense, and one must keep their head in the class. Pat told the class about one student in a recent EAG course that had come to class unprepared, both physically and mentally. When this individual had a hot piece of brass land on his neck, he turned down the line and had a negligent discharge, just missing other students. Ashleigh, while firing in rice paddy prone (squat), had 2, count ‘em TWO pieces of brass go down her pants. She finished the drill, checked the ejection port for any malfunction, closed the dust cover, engaged the mechanical safety and then shook the expended cases down her leg. That is staying in the fight. It was a defining moment for the class, and a proud moment for myself.

Two other proud moments for me was when Ashleigh beat me (and several other shooters) on both runs of the qualifying MEU(SOC) course.

The top shooter for the carbine course was a hard shooter, SWAT cop from Casa Grande PD.

Thanks to Mike Hueser for his hard work in keeping the class running, Donna for her hard work in dealing with the admin issues and Chris Lapre for hosting the class. A special thank you to Bravo Company, Larue Tactical and Magpul for supporting Pat and supplying great gear to the students. These are companies that have received my business in the past and will continue to get my greenbacks in the future.

If you have the chance to attend an EAG course, by all means do so. It is truly world-class training and is a great chance to sort out theoretical problems with gear and weapons from what happens in the real world. Pat’s training schedule can be found at http://www.eagtactical.com/

Denny
Old October 21, 2008, 08:54 AM   #2
Pat Rogers
Member in memoriam

Thanks for the kind words Denny!
It was great to see you again, and also to see Awesome Ashleigh- who performed at a very high level.

It is interesting that so few on most forums have any interest in training, or actually learning to use those weapons they possess.

It is fortunate that others do, and take it seriously.

Looking forward to more Brother!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0032WTMK.JPG (149.4 KB, 59 views)

Pat sends
www.eagtactical.com