The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 16, 2006, 01:32 PM   #1
BobJr

New guy here

Hello Everyone, This is my first post. I just purchased my first press and a set of dies. A Lee classic turrent and a set of lee carbide dies for my Ruger P90 45 acp. When $ permits I will finish the accesories. It might be a few months before I get to use it as I am working in Ohio and I live in Louisiana. Job should be over soon. I will have alot of questions in the near future. this looks like the best place to be. Thanks. Bob
Old September 16, 2006, 01:47 PM   #2
retiredsgt

New Guy

Welcome Bob! A lot of knowledgable folks here! Get yourself a basic NRA or Lyman book on reloading and do some research while you are waiting to get started.
Ain"t nothing quite like fine-tuning a round to your particular gun. Good Shooting!
Old September 16, 2006, 02:38 PM   #3
Kayser

Welcome bob. You couldn't have picked a better caliber to start with
Old September 16, 2006, 04:30 PM   #4
Dave R

Lots of us here reload the .45acp. So we're ready for your questions.

Use the search feature, and you'll probably get a lot of answers before you know what questions to ask.
Old September 16, 2006, 05:05 PM   #5
Bud Helms

Welcome to TFL, BobJr.
Old September 16, 2006, 06:55 PM   #6
JDG

Welcome!
Old September 17, 2006, 09:00 PM   #7
Smokey Joe

New reloader

BobJr--let me add my welcome!

And a suggestion--The ABC's of Reloading is an awesome resource for the new reloader as well as the expert. It is a how-to and more importantly why-and-why-not-to kind of book. Wish it had been around when I started.

Get it @ yr local sptg gds sto, gun sho, the I'net, or from the publisher, Krause Publishing, www.krause.com

The ABC's is now in its 7th edition. They must be doing something right. XLNT reading matter for those lonely evenings away from yr home.

--Smokey Joe
Old September 17, 2006, 09:31 PM   #8
JJB2

welcome bobjr... there's lots of good people and lots of good info on this forum.......

LIFE IS SHORT......
Old September 18, 2006, 05:13 AM   #9
BobJr

Thanks everyone, I have got the ABC's of reloading & the Speer Reloading manual #13. Alot of good reading. The next book will be the Lyman 48th. ed.. anothe ? for everone would it be best to get the Lee safety prime system or get a hand primer? Thanks, Bob
Old September 18, 2006, 07:55 AM   #10
cdoc42

Bob, welcome!

See if you can locate John Wooter's Practical Reloading textbook. I read it cover to cover in 3 nights when I started reloading because it was absolutely fascinating, interesting and loaded with practical information.
Old September 18, 2006, 09:26 AM   #11
cpaspr

Regarding priming

Can't say regarding the Lee safety prime system, as I have RCBS for my base system.

However, I can say that now that I have the Lee auto-primer, I'll probably never use the press mounted primer again. Much faster, never have to physically touch the primer before it's safely in the cartridge. I primed about 400 .45s the other day in about 20 minutes while sitting at the kitchen table chatting with my wife.
Old September 18, 2006, 07:56 PM   #12
JJB2

i vote for the lee auto prime too.... it is fast!!!! and like they said you never touch the primers just invert the tray onto the primer flipper on the tool and go..........
Old September 19, 2006, 09:15 AM   #13
mrawesome22

I would suggest using the search fuction here at TFL also, but it doesn't work for me anymore. Does the staff know about this problem or am I the only one? A simple search of say "reload" only comes back with 2 results. [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]? Anyone else having this problem? And Bob, welcome to The Firing Line (TFL). I started out reloading on this site and with everyone's help I'm now reloading very accurate loads of .22-250. Everyone here is very helpful and I appreciate everyone's patience with the new reloader. Hell, when I first came here I didn't even know what case lube was LOL. Ask away and you will get answers almost immediately. And now that I have a little experience I will give you a suggestion. DON"T GET IN A HURRY! THAT WILL GET YOU HURT!
Old September 24, 2006, 05:42 AM   #14
BobJr

Well everyone I got the bug bad. I am now looking at 223 Rem. dies thought this would be a fun cheap reload for my Mini-14. Any special thoughts on these, Since I am still a newbie?
Old September 24, 2006, 08:00 AM   #15
Buckythebrewer

I started with the lee book and still use it for load data.But the lyman book is great and everybody says the abc's is great.The books are the best advice,,especially were you can't reload yet.suckin up all that info really helps when you get to sit down to reload..
Old September 24, 2006, 09:10 AM   #16
Bud Helms

Some autoloaders need small-based dies to resize the brass farther down closer to the case head than a normal sizing die. I don't know if a mini-14 requires it, but you might want to keep your eye out for feeding problems and be prepared to need one, especially if you decide to reload for something like an AR later.
Old September 24, 2006, 09:13 AM   #17
arkie2

Bob

I'm a new reloader too and also bought the Lee Classic Turret press and reload for my Springfield 1911 .45 as well as .357 and .270. Here's a link to a site that discusses only 1911 but has good info on reloading the .45. It's a great site but not quite as good as this one since there's no info on anything BUT 1911. Welcome!

http://forum.m1911.org/index.php
Old September 24, 2006, 11:54 AM   #18
CrustyFN

Welcome Bob.
I am also new to reloading. I just ordered the Lee classic turret and safety prime yesterday. I was advised to buy the safety prime because it is one of the steps of the press and doesn't take any extra time to do. After watching the link below it looked to me like the safety prime would be the easiest and fastest way to go. Hope this helps.
Rusty

http://www.leeprecision.com/html/Hel...20turret-1.wmv