The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 25, 2001, 09:24 PM   #1
mcneill

Went on a field trip with my daughter's fourth-grade class to the Alamo last week (one of the "fringe benefits" of living near San Antonio). Afterward, I volunteered to her teacher to demonstrate a flintlock and caplock for the kiddos. She seemed really excited to have me do that and said she would work with the school principal to get the proper approval, etc. I have never shot "blanks" with a muzzle loader, but I believe I can do so with a load of powder topped with a patch (or paper wad). Am I correct or is there something else I should do? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

"His name was Jeremiah Johnson, and he wanted to be a mountain man. ... He was looking for a Hawken gun, .50 caliber or better. He settled for a .30, but d*** it was a genuine Hawken. You couldn't go no better."
Old March 26, 2001, 12:35 PM   #2
jpm63

You can do as you suggest or my favorite is to use a bit of index card material over teh powder. The key is to keep some powder near the flash channel and not let it get spread out down the barrel.

Practice a few times. You get more of a "foof" than a bang.

Jim
Old March 27, 2001, 01:32 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

Don't bother with a wad. Just pour the powder down and it'll go bang. I learned this when I was conned into joining the 1st SC at a Rendezvous in Carson City. We lost.

Do play your role well and stress firearm safety. It may be the first and only time these kids get to see a real gun up close and the impression you make will be a lasting one.