Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old October 16, 2009, 05:49 PM   #1
bobtorre

Shooting ipsc with a 44 Magnum

Yes, Amigos I was crazy enough to do this, but it was a hell of a lot of fun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwe0Gk2mbX0
Old October 16, 2009, 09:35 PM   #2
RickB

I was thinking it would be a Desert Eagle, and I'd tip you to the Ernie Hill race rig over on ebay. Who the heck would shoot something like that in IPSC?
Are you shooting full-power loads, or "a light Special", like Harry?
Old October 18, 2009, 04:17 AM   #3
Field

ha you be puttin some nice big holes in those targets, and then the burm behind them, and then the rocks 10ft into the berm. lol
Old October 20, 2009, 06:59 AM   #4
mayham

Here you have a guy from sweden shooting a ipsc match with a De 44
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVXjmMzM3eE
Old October 20, 2009, 09:02 AM   #5
Sam06

That is great!! If you do it again you need to have a shoulder holster and a sport coat like Harry, With some cool shades from the 70's. Good job man I am sure you did good. I hardly ever see anyone shooting a revolver anymore in IPSC.
Old October 21, 2009, 01:19 PM   #6
GLShooter

I shot the Laramie Shoot For Loot years ago with a Model 29 and have done a bit of early IPSC stuff shooting one. No shoulders holsters are allowed in IPSC at this time. I use to use a Safariland shoulder rig when I was shooting it back in the very early 80's.

I switched to a custom 25-2 and then moved on to a custom 5" L-Frame loaded hot to 38 Major. The last two got used at a combined nine US Nationals. I managed High Revolver ins six of them. The 44 mag was just a tad too much to shoot quickly!! LOL

Greg
Old October 23, 2009, 03:38 PM   #7
1naylor

Nice! All that reloading would make me crazy.
Old October 23, 2009, 06:06 PM   #8
GLShooter

I had someone ask me at the US Nationals why I was shooting a revolver and finally boiled it down to the simplest level I could. We all shot the same course and the same amount of targets . Same rules , but I took longer to shoot my courses so therefore I got more shooting time for my money!!

The reloading does take a bit longer and you can't carry as many rounds with you for "insurance" but you can hump 60 rounds on your belt with no problems with the right gear.

You can get fast with them if you work at it. My best passes were 12 rounds at 10 meters shooting 2 on each of 3 targets with a reload in 6.35 seconds and 18 rounds in 12 flat across the same course. This was shot in Kansas City at the Bullet Stop. Not a Miculek time but OK for a yeoman shooter in the trenches.

Greg
Old October 27, 2009, 12:02 PM   #9
SavageMOA

You shot a 6.35 second El Prez with a revolver? That's perdy dern quick!
Old October 27, 2009, 12:43 PM   #10
GLShooter

Thanks. I was doing a bit of practicing back then. I found that I could run them in 8 seconds all day long shooting my L-Frame. I have a custom 25-2 in 45 ACP with a bull barrel and Aristocrat rib that I won three National titles with but I could not shoot it as fast as the l-Frame . I have very small hands and my fingers aren't quite long enough to really power through on the N Frame trigger. I reviewed my above note and found I made a mistake on the 18 round pass. I did that in 10 not 12 seconds.

I shoot 158 grain RNL at a PF of 180,000 out of a 5" barrel L-frame with a 1" integral comp built in. I was using Dade speed loaders at the time. I now have a Clark cut 6" L-frame that can use full moon clips and I guess I need to get out there and see what they will do for me. The load faster than the Dades and just a tad quicker than the Safariland Comp loaders.

Greg
Old October 28, 2009, 12:55 PM   #11
azredhawk44

GLShooter: Where in AZ do you shoot IPSC with a sixgun?

I have a customized Redhawk 4" cut for moonclips and have a desire to see how I can do with it in such an environment. While I "can" run it with magnums, I'm sure it's much more competitive with other revolvers if I step down to specials or even russians in the moonclips to facilitate easier reloads and lower recoil.

I'm in Mesa and I'm closest to Usery Pass, but I go up to Payson or over to Ben Avery on occasion as well.
Old October 28, 2009, 01:21 PM   #12
GLShooter

I shoot IPSC at Ben Avery and will do a big match at Usuray on occasion. I need to get off my butt and start shooting more matches now that WINTER is here (60 degrees !!) and I am retired so it is time to go out and seek some more Gold!!

Greg

Tags
sw 29 ipsc