The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 11, 2015, 07:27 PM   #26
BigBL87

In Illinois, you have to do training and pass a test, which requires that you have a firearm and holster for it. Like I said, the B6P could serve the purpose, and I'm warming up to it as an option. My wife actually commented she would like a revolver for the simplicity over a semi should she need to use one, so I may very well end up getting the revolver and considering the B6P my CCW option for the time being.
Old February 11, 2015, 07:41 PM   #27
skizzums

I just picked up the pt111 from psa for 200$. I really like it overall, but it has some quirks. the trigger is "interesting", I really like it, although having an extremely short travel it's very strong. probably the heaviest trigger I have owned outside of DAO's. the trigger breaks at the very back of the guard requiring a strong grip and it got my finger very sore after about 300 rounds. also, the gun is very peppy, but really quick to get back on target. the sights are nice and right where you want them to be. the magazines springs are soooo freaking tight it's insane, but they will break in. the mags drop very free though. I think the size of the gun is about perfect. it's not terrible to shoot like the LCP, this gun is much better suited to past 10-15 yards than the ruger, kel-tec or sccy. but just know it has a very short travel, but heavy trigger, crisp though with sharp edges. it's recoil isn't hellish, but authoritative.

it has a very steep angled feed ramped, polished to a shine. I was expecting to have issue with very wide HP's and flat-nosed .357 bullets. but it fed everything great. did 100 hornaday FMJ, 50 each of horn 125 and 147 xtp's,100 sierra 90gr HP's and 100 cast .357 flat nose 125gr. it's a quality built gun and haven't heard "too" many bad reports. I did hear one about a bad ejector and one about a firing pin( Taurus fixed both), but have heard dozens of positives. it's my new carry gun and am pleased so far even if I get an extra callous on the side of my trigger finger

the sar is the gun I was carrying, great gun, sucks for carry. before that I was carrying the t100/canik shark-c, awesome gun....really sucks to carry. but if your not a really experienced shooter, they would be great for you, their bigger size and sa/da make them a breeze
Old February 11, 2015, 08:37 PM   #28
Navistar

I guess i wouldnt be looking for a $200 pistol to protect my loved ones so I really dont have a choice. There are some good ones at $400
Old February 11, 2015, 09:07 PM   #29
AZRoger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JN01
S&W SD9VE should be close to your price range.
Still $100 above his budget at the best advertised prices.
Old February 11, 2015, 10:54 PM   #30
osbornk

Quote:
S&W SD9VE should be close to your price range.
The cheapest one I have seen advertised was $279. I procrastinated and waited for their next sale at $289.99. Still an excellent value for a Glock 19 clone for a little over half price. It has been a pleasure.
Old February 11, 2015, 10:59 PM   #31
skizzums

I got mine for 300 out-the-door, hated it. not that it was a terrible gun, although it did have some magazine issues. it just didn't shoot worth a darn. I think the canik's are twice the gun the sd9ve is. just one man's opinion though, I won't argue with those who like it
Old February 13, 2015, 08:04 PM   #32
bigrebnc1861

Pistol Pop in Salisbury North Carolina has the Taurus 111 Millennium G2 for 219.00 + tax puts you at about 234.00 and also he has the sccy cpx-1 AND 2 for 240.00 + tax
Old February 16, 2015, 12:56 PM   #33
hornetguy

I predict that if you find a Taurus PT111 G2 and shoot it, you will not look any further.
They would be worth twice the price they go for.
Old February 16, 2015, 01:14 PM   #34
stonewall50

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBL87 View Post
I'd like to pick up a 9mm for when I eventually get my CCW license. My budget is in the $200ish range, which obviously limits my selection greatly. So far I've come up with these options...

Taurus PT111 ($199)

Zastava M88a ($207)

EAA SAR B6P Compact ($240)

I plan on carrying IWB.

I already own and like the full sized B6P. One additional thing to consider is I have above average sizes hands, so subcompact are pretty much impossible for me. Anyone have any recommendations I missed or any experience with these? Also, please don't pull the "Save more and buy a ______" card. My budget is my budget and disposable income is tight.

I understand the dislike for the response type, but just remember you get what you pay for. I saved for a year and got an XDSC in 9mm and it is the greatest handgun I think I will ever own. It has never failed, even with crap ammo. I know my cousin bought a cheap 9mm and ended up paying as much as I did to fix all the problems.

But if you can find a used glock or XD in your budget, you are probably doing just fine. A friend of mine has a glock survive a house fire (burnt the dresser around it and all that was found of the dresser was the metal handles and a glock).
Old March 11, 2015, 12:20 AM   #35
sixgunluv

$200

Nothing wrong with a revolver.......for less than $300 though, you'll have to beat the brush for a used quality firearm in decent shape.

Last edited by sixgunluv; March 11, 2015 at 12:47 AM.
Old March 11, 2015, 08:40 AM   #36
Spats McGee
Staff

This has probably been addressed, OP, but are used guns an option?
Old March 11, 2015, 02:27 PM   #37
tallball

I am 6'6" with large hands. I shoot 38 snubs very well. You might find a used one in your price range. My Taurus model 85 is excellent and I paid around $200 for it (used).

Otherwise, CZ clones are great guns. If it is small enough for your purpose, it would be a fine choice.
Old March 11, 2015, 09:09 PM   #38
cocojo

I would buy the Kel Tec PF9 without hesitation. Lots of gun for the money and guaranteed for life. They are better than most think they are, and good quality pistols. I owned a Taurus millennium PT 111 and had issues with the trigger breaking all the time.
Old March 12, 2015, 04:32 AM   #39
Sparks1957

My Kel-tec P11 is a good little gun for the money, and I've heard good things about the PF-9 too. Falls in the OP's price range.

The trigger is the heaviest of any pistol in my safe, but it actually feels very safe for carrying because of that. Plenty accurate and eats any kind of ammo.
Old March 12, 2015, 06:21 AM   #40
skizzums

i made a video on the pt111. not trying to self-advertise or anything, there just seems to be a lot of interest in a gun for 200$. sorry, I never made a youtube vid before, so it's a bit long. but I tried every ammo I could scrounge up and couldn't find a fault with the little gun. I went to the range again yesterday and got it over 1200 rounds. only issue I have is when using the 357 flat-point cast bullets it wont feed from releasing slide lock, but loves any other ammo that's actually made for a 9mm. I really like the gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVyL3kNiauo
sorry for such I long vid, I suck at editing and stuff. asnt testing for accuracy for anything, but I did some yesterday and it proved very accurate for such a bitty gun. Taurus made a winner for real
Old March 13, 2015, 01:58 PM   #41
Brodieray

sccy9 is a good ccw and you can never go wrong with a LC9 the price have came down a lot in the past few years
Old March 13, 2015, 02:32 PM   #42
SEKLEM

@skizzums

Why are you shooting .357 reloads out of a sub compact 9mm? Reduced recoil?
Old March 13, 2015, 08:23 PM   #43
skizzums

no,when your shooting lead bullets, using a larger diameter bullets not only helps keep the lead from transferring to the barrel, but also help with accuracy a lot. you generally try to shoot the largest diameter bullet that you can reliably chamber, well, to a point. if your curious about casting and reloading, hop over to the reloading and casting section and read about slugging your barrels and the benefits of oversize bullets. some guns like big diameter bullets and some guns don't, its about tailoring bullets to a specific gun to find out what it shoots best. a lot of 9's do well with .357. ALL lead bullets are at least .356 for lead instead of .355, just like a .357 takes .358 lead even from the factory.
Old March 14, 2015, 08:27 AM   #44
BigBL87

I haven't posted in here for awhile, but I ended up putting the money into my AR with a Geissele trigger and BCM charging handle instead. May end up still getting my 9mm eventually though.
Old March 15, 2015, 06:08 PM   #45
huskybiker

SCCY CPX-2. I bought one for my daughter off Gunbroker. I think it was $205, shipped. Paid my LGS $10 to receive it and do the paperwork. It's been 100% reliable from day 1.
Old March 15, 2015, 09:34 PM   #46
Limnophile

I think the SCCY CPX would fit your needs. But, if you are looking to make a long-term investment in a quality affordable 9 Luger I'd get a Canik compact. You'll spend more than you want, but you'll get a proven design (CZ 75) that can be upgraded over time into a great platform: http://www.cajungunworks.com/canik_-_tristar.html.
Old March 16, 2015, 09:05 PM   #47
dcludwig

If you are looking for an expensive CCW weapon, I would vouch for my Taurus PT-111 Millennium Pro (2nd Gen). There WERE issues with the gen 1 release, but I'm seen none of the problems with mine. I like the fact that I can carry 12 in mag/1 in chamber in the worse parts of my city. You can certainly get "better" semi's but that translates into much more expensive. Not a bad thing if you have the money. But on a budget and you want to protect yourself, the PT-111 is not a bad choice.
Old March 19, 2015, 10:52 AM   #48
Herluf

No worries on not having a carry gun yet.

Quote:
In Illinois, you have to do training and pass a test, which requires that you have a firearm and holster for it.
This is not technically true. It's certainly the ideal, but you don't have to have a gun and holster to take the training and the test. I did my test with a firearm that I will likely not be using for Concealed carry (except maybe when wearing a thick winter coat) and I brought no holster. I think one or two folks in the class might even have used a rental gun.

The Training is done with non-firing demos and the actual qualifying firing test is only for accuracy and has no draw component. If it's possible (different instructors may have different requirements) I recommend taking the class before choosing a weapon and holster. I learned alot in the class that will influence my choice of firearm and mode of carry.
Old March 19, 2015, 07:47 PM   #49
Limnophile

Quote:
I learned alot in the class that will influence my choice of firearm and mode of carry.
Would you mind sharing how the class influenced your decisionmaking?
Old March 20, 2015, 02:20 AM   #50
TheTurtle101

Honestly, I'd go with the "Sccy." It's american made, and shoots fairly well. Picked mine up for less than $200. It's made in Florida and has a no questions asked warranty. Good to go. Recoil is harsh, though.