The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 17, 2014, 11:29 PM   #1
40CalGuy

To sell the Mk25 Navy or not?

I seem to have taken to longer slide / longer barrel guns. I don't mind the weight and enjoy the accuracy. I just picked up a Sig Sauer P226 TacOps w/Laser and may sell the Mk25 Navy (non threaded) to cover the cost. I got into the Mk25 Navy at an awfully high price for used $885+ but I do really enjoy what it represents. Unfortunately, I'm not all that accurate with it... and I can't figure out why. I have a P229 and a Mosquito as well as a 1911 and do well with all of them... so go figure. It should be noted that others shoot it plenty well, so it's definitely not the Mk25's fault.

What says TFL? Sell it to cover the cost (at a loss, presumably) or keep it for what it represents?
Old February 18, 2014, 12:18 AM   #2
dehughes

Sell your P229 to me, and keep the Mk25. Problem solved.
Old February 18, 2014, 12:21 AM   #3
SHE3PDOG

I don't think I could bring myself to sell such a fine example of a handgun. Then again, I can't bring myself to sell some of the ones that I rarely use too.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old February 18, 2014, 02:13 PM   #4
odugrad

I had three MK25s. I recently sold one to help purchase a new rifle. I still have two MK25s and I would not part with them. I only sold the one because I had two more.
Old February 18, 2014, 02:16 PM   #5
TunnelRat

For all intents and purposes it's a P226, albeit with some coating in case you decide to go deep sea diving and decide not to clean your SIG for the week afterward. You can find a P226 pretty easy, and I don't think they'll stop selling the Mk 25 to civilians any time soon. If the Tacops is worth it to you, go for it.
Maintain situational awareness
Old February 18, 2014, 02:28 PM   #6
BarryLee

I’m very hesitant to get rid of guns because in the past I’ve ended up regretting letting certain guns go. However, the guns I regret letting go were guns that are no longer available new and as Tunnel Rat pointed out the MK25 is still available.

So, I say get what you want and don’t worry about getting rid of a gun that you aren’t really that fond of.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old February 18, 2014, 02:40 PM   #7
WVsig

There is really nothing special about the MK25 besides the marketing behind it. If you need to sell it go ahead they are still being produced and you will be able to get it back later if you so desire.
Old February 20, 2014, 11:04 AM   #8
Tactical Jackalope

Sell the 1911 and keep the SIG's.
Old February 20, 2014, 11:31 AM   #9
Uncle Malice

I love my MK25, but if you prefer the Tacops, it's not that big of a deal - you're still keeping a 226 in the family.

The only thing I've come to somewhat not like about the MK25 is the rail. I have a nice kydex pancake holster for my P220 and was excited to be able to use the same holster. When I got it, I didn't realize it wouldn't fit properly. Not so much of a big deal, just makes holster fitment difficult as it's not the same dimensions as a standard 226. It's a relative non issue though and I've got a different holster to work with it.
Old February 20, 2014, 11:40 AM   #10
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Not so much of a big deal, just makes holster fitment difficult as it's not the same dimensions as a standard 226. It's a relative non issue though and I've got a different holster to work with it.
O_O

I didn't notice that.. I have the e2. Just changed out the e2 grips because my hands are like E.T's.

The rail on the MK25 is different from the standard P226?
Old February 20, 2014, 11:48 AM   #11
Uncle Malice

Yeah. The MK25 and Combat models both have a standard 1913 Picatinny rail instead of the rounded Sig rail. It's a little larger and in a form-fitted kydex holster doesn't fit right.

MK25 Rail:

Standard P226 Rail:
Old February 20, 2014, 11:50 AM   #12
Tactical Jackalope

How in the blue hell did I not notice that. Why are you always saving my arse via the internet?

I want to go home and hug my P226. Even though it's barrelless right now.

How long does Robar usually take?

EDIT: Sorry. PM me the answer?

Last edited by Tactical Jackalope; February 20, 2014 at 11:50 AM. Reason: unintentional hijack.
Old February 20, 2014, 05:45 PM   #13
40CalGuy

#1) I've already bought the P226 TacOps, and had at the time of the post. This was a "do I sell the old one to pay for the new one" question. I've decided for now to keep both...for now.

#2) The 1911 I have is a Sig 1911 Nitron Rail

Shot the Mk25 again just an hour ago. I'm still awful with it. Like 6" group @ 7yds awful. 1911 / CZ75 / CZ97 / Glock / P229 / Desert Eagle / USP... all holding sub 3" groups, and some sub 1" (Desert eagle, CZ75). No idea why I can't shoot the Mk25 accurately.
Old February 20, 2014, 06:11 PM   #14
WVsig

Quote:
Shot the Mk25 again just an hour ago. I'm still awful with it. Like 6" group @ 7yds awful. 1911 / CZ75 / CZ97 / Glock / P229 / Desert Eagle / USP... all holding sub 3" groups, and some sub 1" (Desert eagle, CZ75). No idea why I can't shoot the Mk25 accurately.
Has anyone else shot the pistol? Is it just you or is it the pistol?
Old February 20, 2014, 06:21 PM   #15
Uncle Malice

To improve your grouping, you might try a slightly lighter hammer spring. The factory spring is 21lbs. I would suggest the 19lb Wolff hammer spring. You can get it for cheap from gunsprings.com. I also put the SRT kit in mine which helps a little as well.

Get a snap cap and dry fire it to death focusing on the front sight. A common problem that I have with Sigs is a slightly twitch to the right when the trigger breaks. I've got it mostly cured currently. Slow double action dry fire practice on keeping that front sight perfectly still it breaks.

The TacOps comes with that awful short reach(thin) trigger, doesn't it? I hate that thing. It pinches finger skin and feels cheap to me. I put the classic solid P226 trigger in all of mine. You can get it from topgunsupply for like $30. A very worthwhile upgrade in my opinion.
Old February 20, 2014, 07:17 PM   #16
40CalGuy

WVsig... it's just me. my two co-workers that shot with me today had not only nice groupings but they had never shot one before (P226) and had zero issues. same ammo for all three of us.
Old February 21, 2014, 12:51 AM   #17
SHE3PDOG

If I didn't just burn up the last of my gun money for a while, I'd definitely take it off your hands for you. Make sure it goes to a good home!

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old February 21, 2014, 11:18 AM   #18
Tactical Jackalope

I'm glad you figured out that it's you. I'm really accurate with mine, and so is my father who's 65. Really accurate pistol. I wonder what you're doing differently?
Old February 21, 2014, 11:40 AM   #19
Jim567

A common problem that I have with Sigs is a slightly twitch to the right when the trigger breaks.

----------------------------------------

I thought I was crazy.
My M11-A1 does this also.
Or - I do it ONLY with that particular pistol.
It shows on the target.
I did not notice it untill I practiced dry firing.
I do not do i with my P-220. Thats a hugely different grip though.
Thanks for the comment
Old February 21, 2014, 12:10 PM   #20
dehughes

If you notice the front sight twitching to the right when the trigger breaks, then, assuming you're right handed, place your trigger finger further to the left on the trigger (reverse if you shoot left handed). If I shoot with the trigger on the trigger finger pad, I observe what you're describing. If I shoot with the trigger in the first bend/joint of the trigger finger, then I observe the front sight to stay true and not twitch to the right. Maybe this will help you.
Old February 21, 2014, 12:11 PM   #21
40CalGuy

I have not a clue, as I shoot my other three Sigs and my other guns well. I'm very low with my hits from the point of aim and they are all in a group, but the group is very large. With my other Sigs I can wear out the centers of targets without issue.

I suppose I'll put it up for sale or trade on here and see if I can pick up something else I've been wanting. It's weird as hell, but with 5 range trips and a few hundred rounds through it it hasn't gotten any better for me... and now there's the TacOps on the way. Oh well, I suppose.
Old February 21, 2014, 12:51 PM   #22
Jim567

My finger is all the way in as far as it will go. Def not on the pad.
The M11-A1 has a swell under my right thumb that is unusual to all my other pistols.
It makes the twitch after the hammer hits the firing pin.
Not doing it every time now I am aware of it but the majority of times. Only this pistol
grrr
Old February 21, 2014, 01:03 PM   #23
40CalGuy

Well, it's listed in the FS/FT section.
Old February 24, 2014, 07:17 PM   #24
40CalGuy

sold locally. TacOps on the way.