The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 13, 2015, 10:07 PM   #1
Southern Shooter

Green Dot in .45 Colt effected by level of crimp?

I am just starting to explore using Green Dot in .45 Colt. Today, I loaded 7 grains under a 255 grain boolit. Out of my 5 1/2" Uberti velocities were in the very low 800's FPS. From reading of other's experiences with Green Dot and .45 caliber boolits of this weight I predicted hitting around 900 FPS from this gun.

My question is: Using Green Dot, does a weak/light crimp cause any issues like loss of velocity or erratic velocity?

Thanks
"My plea is that we stop seeking out the storm and enjoy more fully sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life we accentuate the positive. I am asking that we look a little deeper for the good, that we still our voices of insult and sarcasm, that we more generously compliment and endorse virtue and effort." Gordon B. Hinckley
Old March 13, 2015, 11:27 PM   #2
243winxb

Powder position may cause erratic velocity. Low velocity, compared to other gun, may be caused by a large gap between barrel & cylinder.
Old March 14, 2015, 09:20 AM   #3
g.willikers

Were the velocities from the same loaded batch consistent and just less than expected, or erratic?
Those are two very different situations to ponder.
Old March 14, 2015, 09:38 AM   #4
the led farmer

Green Dot in .45 Colt effected by level of crimp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Shooter View Post
...From reading of other's experiences with Green Dot and .45 caliber boolits of this weight I predicted hitting around 900 FPS from this gun.

Are you talking about the boolits in general or fired from the same gun? Different guns, different velocities.

To answer your question directly in Modern Reloading Richard Lee references George Frosts book Ammunition Making who talks about "bullet pull" (the amount of force needed to pull the bullet from or push the bullet into the case) has an effect on, amongst other things velocity. So, the stronger the crimp, the more bullet pull, the more pressure and velocity is achieved. So yes crimp can affect velocity according to Lee and Frost. Makes sense to me
Old March 14, 2015, 10:45 AM   #5
SHR970

Yes it can make a difference; the slower the powder the more the difference.

Your expected vs. actual velocities is much more likely a function of the gun it was fired out of and / or differences in components used.
Old March 16, 2015, 10:13 PM   #6
black mamba

Crimp should only make a minor difference with a powder as fast as Green Dot. Oversized chambers, forcing cones and barrel-cylinder gap would be more likely culprits for lost velocity.
Old March 17, 2015, 12:42 AM   #7
rclark

Quote:
Crimp should only make a minor difference with a powder as fast as Green Dot.
Agree. My crimp is just a little crimp. Lip is just bent a bit into the crimp groove.

5200ft ASL

7.0g Green Dot, 250g RNFP, CCI-300, 917fps, 40ES, 5 1/2" barrel.
7.0g Green Dot, 255g _SWC, CCI-300, 894gps, 73ES, 5 1/2" barrel.

I would think you should be hitting at least 850 or so fps ... But velocity is affected by temp, altitude, cylinder/barrel gap, cylinder throats, forcing cone, barrel diameter... So many different things. Each gun is different. That is why I tend to do 'all' my chrono testing for a caliber with one particular revolver, so my resulting table is consistent.

Quote:
So, the stronger the crimp, the more bullet pull, the more pressure and velocity is achieved.
I should do a test ... but my mind, the crimp really it there to prevent bullet creep from recoil. The high pressure that is generated, makes the crimp just a very minor iritatation when bullet leaves the case. For slow powders, it does allow the pressure to build a 'tiny' bit more before pushing the bullet past the crimp. The case tention on the bullet is much more important is my understanding.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.