The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 19, 2007, 01:27 AM   #1
Dtmoss14

Anyone know a link that explains how to get started in reloading?

I'm interested to see how hard it would be to reload .308?

I was looking at federal match ammo at it is EXPENSIVE!
Old August 19, 2007, 01:39 AM   #2
Wildalaska

You can go cheap or go expensive, your choice ,,,,but first go out and buy the Lyman Manual or the ABCs of reloading

My setup in 308 is Hornady neck sizer and Hornady seater with micrometer. Im going to switch to Redding soon. I only neck size.

Powder measure...Lyman 1200, Press RCBS, Priming tool RCBS

Forgeting about equipment I calculate cost per round as follows: Bullet (lapua scenar) .30. Primer (210s) .03. Lapau case (I will average 5 loads) so its .40 divided by 5=.08. Powder about .05 per shot, so a round costs me about .46 each...thats about half the price of Fed match...

But, then add the cost of equipment above, tools, geejaws and gimcracks, lube, shellholders, brushes, boxes, calipers, loading blocks, funnels, spoons, decap pins, bushings...

Wildyadontdoitonlyforthe$$Alaska TM
Old August 19, 2007, 07:16 AM   #3
dglockster

This link may give you what you are asking for:

http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread....hreadid=491879
Old August 19, 2007, 07:23 AM   #4
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Well, as a matter of fact - - -

TFL has an entire forum called Handloading and Reloading. You'll notice your thread has been moved to that forum.

And, located near the very top of the index page is a thread especially for those asking such questions, For the New Reloader: Equipment Basics -- READ THIS FIRST. Click HERE to begin reading.

Welcome to TFL.

Johnny Guest
Staff
Old August 19, 2007, 03:18 PM   #5
Trapper L

Here's some vids for you to look at. They will have the Lee slant to them. If you are not certain if you will like reloading or not, I'd suggest starting out with the Basic Lee single stage press, dies, scale, etc. Once you have decided that reloading is for you these items can be upgraded. I would suggest learning on the basic equipment first. You will learn a lot having to do it the old slow, but tried and proven way to safely reload. Once you have learned the steps it's really a matter of developing safe reloading habits. Developing habits means you can do it without thinking and should you be distracted, the probablities are that you will do the correct thing regardless.
http://www.leeprecision.com/html/HelpVideos/video.html

Hope these are helpful.
Old August 19, 2007, 03:46 PM   #6
oldironman

Dtmoss, did you read the stickies at the start of this reloading section?

This sticky post in particular; http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...31&postcount=1
is helping me a lot. I haven't started reloading yet, I don't have everything bought yet - but I have been reading the ABC's book. I think that if you read those stickies and that book first, your feet will be firmly planted in good ground. From there, these guys can water your roots.
Old August 23, 2007, 01:30 PM   #7
T-Mac

www.gunnersden.com

can help you to understand the whys and wherefores.