The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 3, 2006, 09:27 AM   #1
RefLuddite

Location: I am 3hrs east of Jasper Nat Park, Alberta on Chip Lake
Strengthening weak spring on CVA percussion pistol

I was given a method to strenghten the spring on my pistol by a couple of guys at a Black Powder Shoot a couple of years ago and I've forgotten the proceedure. I do remember it involved a can (size?) of burning motor oil and putting the spring into it after heating it to what?, a cherry red. The spring remained in the burning oil until the oil was consumed.

I know the idea is to heat the spring to a certain temperature and cool VERY SLOWLY. Can anyone fill me in on this? Thanks
Old March 3, 2006, 09:51 AM   #2
mete

You're talking about rehardening the spring. The spring has to be heated to cherry red , quenched in oil .Then it has to be tempered which can be done with a small amount of oil , enough to cover the spring, and burn the oil off. "cool very slowly" is NOT the way !!
Old March 3, 2006, 10:23 AM   #3
RefLuddite

Mete

Thanks, can I use 30 weight motor oil? How long do I quench the spring, ie; in and aout or five seconds or....? Doesn't the spring cool very slowy in the burning oil (which is what I had in mind but didn't express well). Do I need to have the spring preset to correct tension before process? Thanks again
Old March 3, 2006, 12:02 PM   #4
mete

I don't know which spring you mean and would have to take a look at the spring and gun. But quench in oil [30 weight is fine]and leave in the oil until at room temperature . The take some of the oil, enough to cover the spring and light it and let it burn off . That's all you need.
Old March 3, 2006, 06:36 PM   #5
RefLuddite

mete

The spring is vee shaped about an inch long and maybe quarter inch wide. It drives the hammer into the cap. It may take four pulls before the cap fires, it used to work fine for the first 20 rounds or so then gradually became worse. The guys told me I could use a piece of leather to increase the tension for a bit but that I should reharden it.

I'm thinking I should spread the spring maybe ten thousandths before rehardening. No sweat if you don't want to venture a thought about this part but you Really came through for me regarding the rehardening process, Thanks
Old March 4, 2006, 09:05 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

I hope you didn't go through the tempering yet. If you want to change the angle on the spring, it should be done while it is red hot. Heat it, change it, let it cool, then heat it again and quench it as mete says.

Jim
Old March 5, 2006, 12:30 PM   #7
RefLuddite

Ahhh, yes, of course. Thanks to you both. Will do