The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 15, 2013, 01:19 AM   #1
Race Bannon

Question about 73 winchesters

I have an Italian made Henry rifle with an 18 inch barrel in 45 Colt. I really like the gun, but the new Cimarron saddle shorty has caught my eye. I'm not into cowboy action shooting, I just think my short Henry is an incredibly handy rifle and would like a '73 with a similar feel. I have no experience with '73s. Would it be lighter, heavier etc?

Also, if I got one in .357, would it be significantly heavier, could it handle most off the shelf .357 and is that a better general purpose rifle round than .45 Colt?

Thanks in advance.
Old January 15, 2013, 05:09 AM   #2
MJN77

Quote:
I have an Italian made Henry rifle with an 18 inch barrel in 45 Colt. I really like the gun, but the new Cimarron saddle shorty has caught my eye. I'm not into cowboy action shooting, I just think my short Henry is an incredibly handy rifle and would like a '73 with a similar feel. I have no experience with '73s. Would it be lighter, heavier etc?

Also, if I got one in .357, would it be significantly heavier, could it handle most off the shelf .357 and is that a better general purpose rifle round than .45 Colt?

Thanks in advance.
The 73 would be slightly lighter in a bigger caliber (.44/.45), but heavier in a .357. All Uberti rifles are made to use off the shelf ammo. As for what caliber to get, it would just be a personal choice. Both the .45 and .357 have an effective range of 100 yards give or take a few.
Old January 15, 2013, 11:46 AM   #3
thickice

That 18" Henry is not common, could you post a picture of it? How many does it hold in the magazine?
Old January 15, 2013, 01:13 PM   #4
harley_davis

The '73 Short Rifle is probably going to be close the same weight & handling charcteristics as the Henry. Easier to use in some ways since you do not have the cartridge follower to contend with for the last couple of shots nor do you have the hot barrel issue as you do with the Henry. Keep in mind that the toggle link action was designed for the lower pressure BP cartridges in use in the 1800's and so, not a good idea to use modern hot loads in them (ie: .357 Magnum). Might be better to use Cowboy Action loads for these style lever guns for safety reasons. As to caliber, I love the .45 Colt and IMHO would be my choice. Also, modern off the shelf .45 Colt ammo is made knowing that most weapons chambered for this round are (1) old Single Actions or modern repros thereof (2) toggle link lever guns and so, I would think would be plenty safe to fire. But that is just my opinion, I am not a gunsmith or "expert" in firearms pressures.
NCOWS #C31, SASS #3740
Fifth Minnesota Infantry, New Ulm Battery
Old West Regulators/Minnesota

Last edited by harley_davis; January 15, 2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old January 15, 2013, 05:16 PM   #5
MJN77

All Uberti guns including toggle link rifles, brass or steel frames, are made to use SAAMI spec (off the shelf) ammo. .357 or not. Just no +p or hot loads. Any one that tells you differently is misinformed. If you don't believe me, call Uberti. Phone: (301) 283-698 or (800) 264-4962
Uberti even just released a 1873 carbine in .44 magnum. Yes it is a toggle link gun.
http://www.uberti.com/firearms/1873-...nd-carbine.php

Last edited by MJN77; January 15, 2013 at 05:23 PM.
Old January 15, 2013, 06:11 PM   #6
harley_davis

I will stand corrected in terms of what Uberti indicates is safe for their rifles. This article gives pretty good detail on specifics for the toggle link rifles in terms of pressures etc from someone better informed that I.
http://www.leverguns.com/articles/pa...ltlevergun.htm
'Nuff said on the subject from my end.
NCOWS #C31, SASS #3740
Fifth Minnesota Infantry, New Ulm Battery
Old West Regulators/Minnesota
Old January 15, 2013, 08:57 PM   #7
Race Bannon

Thanks for all the information.

The requested photo:

18 inch Henry with Model 94 for comparison. This Henry holds nine rounds of 45 Colt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (243.4 KB, 29 views)