The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 3, 2016, 02:20 PM   #26
Lee6113

Quote:
You believe wrong. All 1911's are made in the US.

Springfield Armory still resides in Genesco IL, which if you look at a map is still in the good 'ol US of A.

If you read my reply, I was referring to Springfield Armory, in response to the post saying that they are made in Croatia and that Springfield is no longer a US company, and has closed their US facility.
I stand corrected. To be honest all I was going off of was my Springfield Armory XD saying it was made in Croatia. I better not assume next time, eh? Haha.

Cheers!
Old February 3, 2016, 02:30 PM   #27
Llama Bob

Of all the 1911s I've dealt with, including many premium/custom brands, Colt has the best chance of working 100% out of the box. They just understand how to make guns that work.

The downside of Colt is that many are series 80 ignition systems, and they generally lack metalworking like dehorning, beavertails, and checkering that many other manufacturers include.
Old February 3, 2016, 03:38 PM   #28
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamarw
It has always been made in the U.S.A. and was made in Ilion, NY prior to moving to Sweet Home Alabama.
"Always" meaning what -- three or four years? I don't think Remington has been making 1911s any longer than that. (Discounting their WW1 production, of course.)

Have they learned how tio machine the frame bridge yet?
Old February 3, 2016, 03:41 PM   #29
michael t

Quote:
I can ever see anything replacing my SCCY
Well at present time I see no real hope for you if you think a cheap SCCY is quality .

I was going to say a Colt or Springfield .
Old February 3, 2016, 03:44 PM   #30
michael t

Remington Rand made WWII pistols different company .

Been around 5 years since Remington got in to the 1911 field
Old February 3, 2016, 04:40 PM   #31
RickB

Quote:
they generally lack metalworking like dehorning, beavertails, and checkering that many other manufacturers include.
Did you start typing that in 1997, and just send it now? Colt has a very extensive line-up, including beavertails, checkering, adjustable sights, even "lowered ejection ports", if you can believe it.
Colts have generally been known for sharp edges, but I saw an interview with a Colt rep who said the number one reason for returns was rounded edges. Gotta give the customer what they want.
Old February 3, 2016, 09:06 PM   #32
Nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proz76
I hear a lot of good things about the new Para 1911 and they are now made in the USA. Anyone know more about them?
You should have your hearing checked. Para is out of business. While nice ideas, Para guns often failed to deliver.

Now, I would check out Dan Wesson guns for great guns at a good price.
Old February 3, 2016, 09:58 PM   #33
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael t
Remington Rand made WWII pistols different company .
That's why I wrote "WW1" (Remington UMC, not Remington-Rand)
Old February 3, 2016, 10:18 PM   #34
SocialAnarchist

Quote:
Red-5

You believe wrong. All 1911's are made in the US.

Springfield Armory still resides in Genesco IL, which if you look at a map is still in the good 'ol US of A.
I just got up and took my Springfield Loaded 1911 out of my gun safe to see where it was made and it says right on the frame "Made in Brazil-IMBEL". The last time I checked Brazil is not in the USA. Right above the Made in Brazil it says "SI Geneseo IL USA".
Old February 3, 2016, 10:57 PM   #35
walnut1704

Springfields with a "NM" serial number prefix are entirely U.S. made. Prior to that they sourced raw frames from Brazil (Imbel) and finished them in the U.S., qualifying them as "U.S. made" so they won't be marked "Made in Brazil".
Old February 3, 2016, 11:57 PM   #36
Martowski

Okay, I get it now. Basically looking for a decent, US made 1911 that will be good for the range and just general shooting.

I'd highly recommend you look at the Ruger SR1911. American made, great company, and is a good example of a "slightly enhanced" 1911. Also, you can get into a Kimber Custom II for about this same price as well, and that's worth a good look.

Other ideas definitely include the SA Range Officer if you want an adjustable sight gun. The Remington 1911 might not be bad to look at either.

There's four options for you. If it were me, I'd be looking very closely at the Kimber Custom II or the Ruger.
Old February 4, 2016, 12:12 AM   #37
gyvel

Quote:
All 1911's are made in the US.
To the best of my knowledge, ALL Springfield 1911s originate from Brazil. If (per U.S. import and customs law) they have 51% of the final work done on them here, then they are legally allowed to say that they are "Made in U.S.A." This would also apply to 1911s that originate from other countries as well.

Otherwise for an "American made" 1911, it's Colt, Remington or Ruger.

Para Ordnance, I don't know enough about. Kimber is overpriced with an inflated reputation, and the others, like Wilson, Baer, etc., are out of your price range.

Supposedly, the "Inland" marked 1911s are "duplicates of WWII 1911A1s, but they differ in several details, and are pretty much identical to Auto Ordnance, who, rumor has it, are getting their slides from Armscor of the Philippines.

If I'm not mistaken, the CZ 1911s are made for CZ by Dan Wesson here in the U.S.

Your choice, but my own personal experience tells me to stay away from Turkish guns.
SIFE
Old February 4, 2016, 12:26 AM   #38
Red-5

Quote:
I just got up and took my Springfield Loaded 1911 out of my gun safe to see where it was made and it says right on the frame "Made in Brazil-IMBEL". The last time I checked Brazil is not in the USA. Right above the Made in Brazil it says "SI Geneseo IL USA".
What year was it made????

Springfield stopped importing their frames from Imbel several years ago, and they are all made in the US.

For all the naysayers, keep believing Springfield is still importing their frames from Imbel, as the six SA 1911's I have purchased since 2013 all are made in the US, and have no Imbel markings.
Old February 4, 2016, 12:35 AM   #39
gyvel

Quote:
Springfield stopped importing their frames from Imbel several years ago, and they are all made in the US.
No, they didn't. They started finishing Brazilian parts here in order to meet the 51% rule. As I stated in my previous post, this allows them to mark them "Made in USA." This is clearly spelled out in US Customs law and you can look it up.
SIFE

Last edited by gyvel; February 4, 2016 at 02:16 AM.
Old February 4, 2016, 01:10 AM   #40
Proz76

Springfield Ranger

Thanks guys, the reason I'm wanting a 1911 is just to have one lol but the main reason is for the range, I have a CCW and a USP but its a .40 and I think if i get a 1911 it will be in the 9mm just because it will be cheaper to shoot and I want the quality of a 1911. I just hear so many great things about them. I do really like the Springfield Ranger in the Parkerized finish. Or i might just save for a few years and buy me the Ithica 1911. I own their shot guns and lover it, but its more of a custom 1911 so I'm afraid I would never want to take it out of the case.. So ill prob look at the Springfield of the Para, I hear Remington bought Para so I would think it should be a Quality gun?
Old February 4, 2016, 02:18 AM   #41
gyvel

Quote:
Or i might just save for a few years and buy me the Ithica 1911. I own their shot guns and lover it, but its more of a custom 1911 so I'm afraid I would never want to take it out of the case.. So ill prob look at the Springfield of the Para, I hear Remington bought Para so I would think it should be a Quality gun?

Ithacas are made in the Philippines. Remington has had MAJOR QC problems resulting from their takeover.

I would do some very careful research before you spend a lot of money.
SIFE
Old February 4, 2016, 02:38 AM   #42
Proz76

Ithica

Manufactured 100% right here in the USA at our factory in Upper Sandusky, OH. sorry but your wrong on that oone.
Old February 4, 2016, 06:46 AM   #43
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proz76
So ill prob look at the Springfield of the Para, I hear Remington bought Para so I would think it should be a Quality gun?
Imbel recently announced that they no longer have a relationship with Springfield Armory, but Springfield has been conspicuously silent on the source for their frames and slides post-Imbel. It is widely conjectured that they are sourcing them from Korea (as are some other "American" manufacturers).

ParaUSA no longer exists. Remington killed off the name and the products. It is anticipated that they will bring back the double stack pistols under the Remington name, but I don't think that has happened yet.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I think the best choices are Colt and Ruger, within the budget for this thread.
Old February 4, 2016, 10:53 AM   #44
TfflHndn

I really like my Remington R-1 Enhanced. Some nice features not seen on base models, and very nice fit and finish. Colt has a new Competition model out now, under $800, with adjustable sights and some nice features. Looks very interesting and at a reasonable price. I do like Rugers a lot, but haven't handled their 1911 yet.
Old February 4, 2016, 11:15 AM   #45
kilimanjaro

Colt, Series 70. Get both calibers, well worth it.

No one regrets buying a Colt 1911. I've never had a failure in mine, and I own several of them. Series 70 is about perfect as far as manufacture, finish, and design go. Series 80 started to cut a few corners.
Old February 4, 2016, 01:39 PM   #46
Martowski

The Ithacas are probably nice guns; I hear they have a lot of hand fitting and good parts (of course, referring to the new production ones not the old surplus guns). However, for that price I'd really look at Dan Wesson instead (or even Les Baer).

Any Para you see out there is not a result of Remington buying Para, it's a Para made gun. The ones I've seen do not display a good fit.

Again, Ruger and the SA Range Officer, or a Kimber Custom II, are my recommendations at this price point.

I would choose .45 if I were to own one 1911, but I do have a 9mm Springfield Loaded (because I choose to own more than one 1911).
Old February 4, 2016, 04:03 PM   #47
SocialAnarchist

Quote:
Red-5

What year was it made????

For all the naysayers, keep believing Springfield is still importing their frames from Imbel, as the six SA 1911's I have purchased since 2013 all are made in the US, and have no Imbel markings.

I purchased my Springfield Armory 1911A1 Loaded in 2008 brand new.

I think you need to research the 51% rule. Because it appears that at least some of SA's 1911 frames are still being made in Brazil and then finished here in the US.
Old February 4, 2016, 04:39 PM   #48
DAVID NANCARROW

Buds guns is running Colt Combat Commanders and Government models for a bit over $700. Have bought 2 of their Gov't models in the past 18 months and both of them run just fine, bone stock.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/i...page/1/sort/6a
Old February 4, 2016, 06:28 PM   #49
gyvel

Quote:
Imbel recently announced that they no longer have a relationship with Springfield Armory,
Hmmm. That's news to me. Is this a very recent action?
SIFE
Old February 4, 2016, 11:32 PM   #50
5whiskey

Despite the raw frame being outsourced, Springfield makes a very nice 1911. Otherwise I would chose a no-frills Kimber in your price range. I've never been a huge colt fan in general, excluding then fact that I want an 80s model python revolver. I admit I've never touched a colt 1911 and they could be the best pistol ever. Colt, to me, has traditionally meant overpriced although they are working on that... mostly because of competition.

Oh, and I would avoid Remington like the plauge. They have very real issues these days.