The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old April 8, 2014, 09:58 AM   #1
bspillman

Ruger customer service

Ok so I fell for a ruger p85 mk2 the other day at the range. Today private sale I picked up a p85 that is subject to recall. I called ruger and set up all the repairs needed and the person asked me if I am the owner of the fire arm. Not thinking about registration I said yes I am. My question is does this affect the repair? Will I get my gun back if I send it in? What is the average turn around time? Also this gun is pretty scratched up on the outside, does that matter? Thanks for any information.
Old April 8, 2014, 10:23 AM   #2
Wallyl

Ruger

IMHO Ruger provides outstanding customer service. I have high standards and great expectations and this company is one of the very few that makes
the grade. When you buy a Ruger firearm the exceptional customer service is part of the deal. When they recieve the fiearm no doubt they check its' condition..I am not sure how they handle one that has been abused. I do take care of mine, as do most shooters.

Had a frame screw in a 1974 Ruger Superblackhawk snap off...I could not remove the broken stud. They rebuilt it and even granted my request for a taller front sight blade, so that I could shoot .44 Specials in it...this on a pistol that was 40 years old...now how can you beat that?

I have not been impressed with Remington or Taurus...and from various posts that I have read, most others aren't either.
Old April 8, 2014, 10:27 AM   #3
BuckRub

Doesn't matter at all. Don't matter bout scratches either. Hopefully they'll pay shipping to them as well. Most companies don't. Sometimes you can ask for a shipping label and if you get a nice person they'll send you one or you can print off of your printer and your shipping is free. Makes it alittle nicer.
The only way you wouldn't get it back is if they begin to start repair and put in serial number and comes back as a stolen weapon. Some repairs check some dont. If it came back as stolen they'd contact authority's.
I'm sure you're good, send it in.
Smith & Wesson - Awesome experice the only time I needed them which was about 15 years ago. The worst ever- Browning. I'll never buy a new browning ever again.

Last edited by BuckRub; April 8, 2014 at 10:34 AM.
Old April 8, 2014, 06:37 PM   #4
Kreyzhorse

Ruger should pay for shipping and will take care of the recall. You'll get your gun back in a reasonable timeframe but it depends on how many guns are ahead of yours.

Overall they have great customer service so don't sweat it. Also, just want to point out that Ruger doesn't offer a warranty on their guns at all yet really takes care of their customers.

Send it in without worry.
Old April 8, 2014, 07:33 PM   #5
Spats McGee
Staff

If they asked, "Are you the owner?" and you'd bought it, you're the owner. If they asked, "Are you the original owner?," that's a different question. I've never had to use Ruger's CS, but just about everything I've read tells me that it ought to be fine. I'd be very surprised if they cared whether you are the original owner.
Old April 8, 2014, 08:40 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

I suspect the question was "are you the original owner" and it was only for statistical purposes, since AFAIK, Ruger does not provide a written warranty or restrict repairs to original owners.

Jim
Old April 8, 2014, 09:11 PM   #7
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I called ruger and set up all the repairs needed and the person asked me if I am the owner of the fire arm. Not thinking about registration I said yes I am.
They, most likely, just wanted to know if you were the owner, or a shop owner sending the firearm in for themselves or a customer.

Ruger is likely to cover shipping, since it's for recall work. But, if they don't... don't use FedEx or UPS to ship it. Have an FFL ship it USPS Priority for you, and it'll save $80-150 (depending on where you live).
Old April 8, 2014, 09:20 PM   #8
chris in va

A while back I bought a new mk3 22/45 that wouldn't feed hollow points. I called and they sent a new bolt. Didn't fix the issue though.
Old April 19, 2014, 12:19 AM   #9
marv

When I called Ruger about the trigger on my LCR they said to send it in. I asked for a label. The guy said 'we don't do that. You have it boxed and ready and UPS will pick it up tomorrow'. Later they called and said my gun was beyond repair and they were sending me a new one. They needed to know who to ship it to. Now that there is some dam good customer service.
Old April 19, 2014, 05:33 AM   #10
Hal

Quote:
A while back I bought a new mk3 22/45 that wouldn't feed hollow points. I called and they sent a new bolt. Didn't fix the issue though.
I've been told the fix for that is to put a dab of hot glue on the face of the magazine up near the top.

I had a Mark I that wouldn't feed hollow points and one of my Mark II .22/45's will hang up sometimes with hollow points.

I've never bothered to try the hot glue since my cure for it is to not use hollow points in that .22/45 - I have another one that works just fine.

I suspect the reason why Ruger didn't/couldn't fix the issue is because the "feed ramp" is actually a piece stamped out of the (serial numbered) receiver.
They'd have to replace the receiver - which is actually replacing the entire gun.