The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 18, 2011, 12:43 PM   #26
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I thought it would be fine, yes. If not the HP, a lightly loaded TSX would certainly do the job. The TSX won't even expand below 1,800fps. If not that, a heavier bullet with Trail Boss would certainly kill rabbits without being explosive. I could get speeds down to 1,200fps, maybe lower.

Besides, previous responses have suggested 30-06, 45-70 and even 500 mag. 7-08 doesn't sound particularly over powered comparatively.
Old September 18, 2011, 04:01 PM   #27
wncchester

"...you were limited to one rifle of one caliber (No drillings or combo-guns) ......What would you use, for greatest utility and versatility?"

IMHO, this pointless but common question only has one logical answer; A .458 Win or .460 Wby. can stop ground squirrels to elephants tip-toeing through your garden.
Old September 18, 2011, 11:25 PM   #28
jimbob86

Quote:
Besides, previous responses have suggested 30-06, 45-70 and even 500 mag. 7-08 doesn't sound particularly over powered comparatively.
The others were contemplating using cast pistol bullets at really low velocity..... I think your rifle bullet at modererate, but not enough to expand would work, though.

I wonder if it would be feasible to use 000 buck (.360) as a projectile in a .35 caliber rifle with a 1:10 twist bore, for low velocity short range work...... any opinions?
Old September 19, 2011, 01:48 PM   #29
black mamba

Another vote for the .35 caliber. I have owned a custom Mauser in 35 Whelen AI for almost 20 years now, and have shot loads from 158 gr cast lead at 1400 fps (bunny load) up to 275 gr Hawks at 2450 fps (grizzly load). My long range load is a 225 gr Partition at 2720 fps, which has the exact same trajectory as the 180 gr Partition in the 30-06 out to 400 yds.

The minimum taper and sharp shoulder make for excellent brass life, and none of my loads take as much as 60 grs of powder, so it's not too expensive to shoot. If I was not intending to hunt the great bears with it, the .358 Winchester would be even better-- lighter, shorter rifles and even more efficient on the powder.
Old September 19, 2011, 02:26 PM   #30
GWS

Quote by dahermit

Quote:
The late Richard (Rich) Pedersen of the former Ludington, MI Pedersen's Gun Shop (and father of well-known gun engraver, Rex Pedersen), only used a .243 Winchester for all his rifle shooting and hunting including Canadian moose. He stated that he had no problems killing anything with it. Rich was know for his lightweight a very beautiful custom rifles that he produced in his shop. He was one of those who considered the .243 the perfect all-around round for hunting.
I have to agree with that one....excepting I'd want a DPMS (AR10 style) barreled in .243. (I have one in .308, but .243 would be a better round for smaller targets.)

That wouldn't be my ideal for moose and bear, but it could do the job...especially if you have 20 quick rounds to follow up with.

About bears: This weeks news has the tragic story about two hunters who wounded a Grizzly thinking it was a black bear....they tracked the wounded animal and one paid for it with his life. I have no idea about what guns, bullets, calibers used, or where the Griz was hit.....but....damn....whatever you shoot, you'd best know your business.

Last edited by GWS; September 19, 2011 at 02:34 PM.
Old September 19, 2011, 04:16 PM   #31
Magnum Wheel Man

I'll take a stab...

as a handloader with a cabinet full of powder, & both lead & jacketed bullets, any gun with enough power to do your heavy work can be loaded down with a cast bullet & a powder like Trailboss & not totally destroy smaller game

so the O.P. mentioned 3 gun... 458 SOCOM would probably be workable in an AR type platform

35 Remington, 375 Winchester, 444 Marlin, 45-70 & 450 Marlin could all be made to work with loads from light Trailboss & cast bullets to heavy tough bullets & hot loads of H-322 or similar... heck there are lots more in the obscure area... 38-55, 40-65 etc...

6.5 X 55, 7 X 57 8mm etc etc. would also work in the bolt action type rifles loaded down with cast

I think I even have a light cast load, I've been meaning to try in my 375 H&H... might be a bit over kill for bunnys & squirrels, but could work in a pinch...
Old September 19, 2011, 09:25 PM   #32
GWS

Maybe you could try sabots.
Old September 19, 2011, 09:35 PM   #33
Edward429451

45/70. I have the 155 gr collarbutton mould for small game, and heavy moulds for big game. I can eat anywhere in North America with this combo, and break down and use blackpowder if I have to.
Old September 19, 2011, 11:30 PM   #34
Gos

I'd grab an older Ruger M77 tang safety in 270 Win. off of Gunbroker.com. Bought one for my son many years ago when he turned 14. It has served him very well over the years, up to and including several beheaded bunnies and grouse, deer, bear and elk.

Now, if you said ok Gos. I'm putting you on a plane and dropping you off in the middle of the woods for a year and you only have one gun to live off of, it would be without any hesitation a 12 ga. Winchester pump shotgun with bird shot to slugs. It will truly do it all.
Old September 20, 2011, 01:40 AM   #35
GWS

Ok, but if you are attacked by a grizzly while you're looking for turkeys, I doubt you'd have time to load the slugs and the bird shot is going to make him madder than hell.

I'd rather take my chances with my .243 AR10 carbine with 20 rounds. My thinking was to have one gun and one load...for everything. However, It'd be best to not get in that one gun predicament in the first place. A better idea is an AR10 in .308, a AR15 in .223, a .357 revolver, a .45 1911, and of course a 12 gauge pump.....and I will as long as I have a vehicle and gasoline to carry them in.
Old September 20, 2011, 07:23 AM   #36
Magnum Wheel Man

Quote:
I wonder if it would be feasible to use 000 buck (.360) as a projectile in a .35 caliber rifle with a 1:10 twist bore, for low velocity short range work...... any opinions?
I use Hornaday 31 caliber roundballs in my 32 S&W & .360 diameter round balls in my 38 S&W & they work well at those pistol velocities... generally however lead balls are soft & probably not the best for even light rifle loads... but that doesn't mean they could not be cast out of harder alloys & work just fine... I get very good close range accuracy out of my 32 & 38 round ball loads, so if the ball diameter is correct for the barrel, & cast of a hard enough alloy so as not to deform beyond stability, I'd think they would be fine for small game in a rifle

however along the same lines if you could find a pistol bullet ( such as in 358 or ??? calibers ) it could also be made to work for small game