The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 26, 2010, 04:42 AM   #1
Win_94

Powder Choice Opinions

I have been using Vihtavuori N 110 for my 357 and Vihtavuori N 135 for my 30-30 when using 110 grain bullets. When I first picked-up these powders I did so because my job site was close to the store I bought them from. Those powders work wonderfully, but it is a 60+ mile drive and I don't work near there anymore so I need a good substitute in a more commonly carried brand.

I have candidates for both powder substitutes, I would like your opinions of them.

Substituting for Vihtavuori N 110; Win 296, AA No 9, and Hodgdon 110.
The groups remain tight and velocity remain constant with the N 110 all year round using 158gr bullets, I am considering on using 180gr bullets now.)

Substituting for Vihtavuori N 135; Hodgdon 322, (because it is one of their Extreme powders,) and RL-12.
The reason I use N 135 is that when I tried IMR 4064, a 10 degree temperature drop would equate into a 6" bullet drop at 300 yards; (with the 110gr bullets,) the N 135 remained on target with 40 degree temperature changes.

Thanks for your time!
Old August 26, 2010, 07:02 AM   #2
Sevens

I'd take a look at how much shooting/reloading you do and consider making a bulk powder purchase. Instead of a 60+ mile drive, you'll pay shipping and hazmat, but if you buy in 4, 5 or 8 pound containers, you'll not only be set for much longer but you'll be paying bulk prices instead of per-pound prices.

As for your powder choices, I can't really comment as I haven't used the Viht powders and thus, have no frame of reference. But I can tell you that I have specifically avoided all the Viht powders simply because I did not want to get addicted to an expensive, harder to find powder!

Winchester 296 and Hodgdon H-110 are the same powder, just marketed and packaged under two different names... so at least that takes one out of the running.
Old August 27, 2010, 02:24 AM   #3
Win_94

Thanks for your input!
Old August 27, 2010, 07:14 AM   #4
Sevens

A popular place for bulk powder purchase is Powder Valley Inc.
Check some of their prices and do the math and even if you only order 4 pounds, you might get close. Remember that you have to pay for shipping and also Hazmat. I'm not sure what shipping runs at PV, but Hazmat is typically a flat $25.

I made my last bulk powder order from Grafs. Only $2 or $3 to process, $25 for Hazmat and shipping is free. Good folks to deal with.
Old August 27, 2010, 10:03 AM   #5
Doodlebugger45

I also have never used the Vihtq-whatever. Partly because I can't pronounce it, partly because it's expensive, but mostly because my local places don't stock it. I know it's reputed to be extremely clean burning though.

As far as the V 110 application, besides the 296/H-110 powders, I have also used IMR-4227 and Alliant 2400 with good success on magnum pistol loads.
Old August 27, 2010, 10:09 AM   #6
Sevens

If you consider the opinions of those who use Vihtavuori, it's the best powder you can buy. If I were wealthy and money weren't an object, I'd probably give it a twirl in a few different flavors.
Old September 10, 2010, 10:41 PM   #7
270 fan

Nobel 104 powder for 270win

Does anybody have any experience with this stuff. I bought a lb of it in Canada many years ago and the label on the can suggests that it can be loaded like 4350 less 3grains. I also wrote on the can Norma 204 so not sure if maybe should just be loading as per norma 204 schedule. FWIW - my pet 270 hunting load is 55grains of IMR 4350(winchester brass seems to be best) behind 130 nosler partition bullets with federal magnum primers. As long as this nobel 104 stuff is reasonably legit I would attempt to load it up, however hate to waste the partitions if people have experienced inconsistency. If anybody has any experience with it(in a 270 would be great) would love to hear. Thank you.

Tags
30-30 , 357 , powder