The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: What would you do in this scenario?
Draw your gun and shoot the closest attacker 22 57.89%
Draw your gun in hopes that it will scare them off, but don't shoot 2 5.26%
Do not draw your gun, but attempt to go hand to hand or draw a knife 2 5.26%
Other... Please explain 12 31.58%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 18, 2008, 08:44 AM   #26
computerguysd

Dwight55,

You're right about the original question. If a weapon is drawn by a BG, my weapon would be drawn and I would fire, hopefully from a standing position with my weapon pointed down at the BG. No real choice if it's been escalated to life or death self defense.
Old October 18, 2008, 11:33 PM   #27
Un_lucky

Quote:
The "gang initiation" thing is hyped way out of proportion, and again if that is your fear go get the manager.
Depends on were you are. Ever herd of the buck fifty? I think I'd just complain to the manager on the way out. I doubt management would care since its usually a 16 year old kid running the theater.
Old October 19, 2008, 10:45 AM   #28
Glenn E. Meyer

When I was in college in the late 60's, the school movie theater was having a free movie night - a zombie movie (Night of the Living Dead - how appropriate for a gun scenario).

This being an eastern liberal school (sorry, you guys who live on a mountain waiting for the end of the world), much evil smoking was being done.

In fact, clouds of weed smoke filled the theater - jammed to the gills.

Now, one group of individuals decided to yell instructions to the screen. Get out of there, girl, etc.!!

This enraged a group of other folks who yelled Shut the F UP, you members of a different ethic group. Said group responded with it's own commentary on ethnicity. Group 1 was not intimidated being night students who worked in the steel industry and hard drinking folks. They rose to the challenge - giant men of industry.

I, inbetween, said groups - said my, my we are going to be in a violent clash of mutually intolerant cultures.

At the crucial moment, a hippie - giant hair, ragged clothes, seeing rainbows and unicorns - stood up and yelled:

EVERYONE CHILL - OUT - EVERYONE JUST SMOKE SOME WEED!!

Said, smokes were passed around and the rest of the movie based in hallucinatory mellow splendor as all sat down. Later we ate lots of Pepperidge Farm cookies.

Thus, avoidance of conflict - you make pick a different strategy - seems best. If conflict looms, no need to incite more - get out of Dodge.
Old October 19, 2008, 11:04 AM   #29
Tennessee Gentleman

Quote:
EVERYONE JUST SMOKE SOME WEED!!
The problem is today it is meth or crack. Not exactly mellowing.

Quote:
Let me pose a question...what authority, if any, do you as a moviegoing patron have to demand certain behavior of others? The answer, of course, is none.
Perhaps, but since you have paid for the show you ARE entitled to quiet enjoyment of it.

My family and I went to Las Vegas back in August and went to the Cirque de Soleil at the Bellagio. A group of slightly drunk women came in, late of course, and proceeded to gab away and laugh during the performance. I asked them politely to be quiet and one of them said No, she would continue to talk. I simply walked to the manager and told him that if he didn't shut them up I would reverse the charges on my credit card and not pay for the show (very expensive by the way). He came in and told them to shut up and they did. After the show one of the tipsy ladies sarcastically remarked that she hoped I enjoyed the show. I told I had since she had stopped talking.

One poster on here used to have in his signature: "You can have a temper and you can have a gun but you can't have both." Good words.

The anti-gun people used to say that having a gun made you more likely to get into an altercation because you had the gun. I think the opposite is true and should be.
Old October 19, 2008, 11:32 AM   #30
izzkidioto

Quote:
If I'm carrying concealed, and someone tries to "start something" with me, I apologize and try to get myself out of the "situation" as quick as possible, including to retreat.
I agree...there is a mindset that you MUST have while carrying, it makes the difference in situations like this. Be the bigger person, there is nothing you have to prove. Remove yourself from the situation and ONLY as a LAST resort do you use deadly force if your life is threatened.