The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 6, 2001, 12:21 AM   #1
The Deputy Dawg

Tactical Training

I hope that I have posted this in the correct forum.

Does anyone have a suggestion of where to receive tactical training in the Fort Worth, Texas area?

Any ideas or suggestions on what to look for or to expect?

I'm looking to further my skills as a CHL holder.

Thanks,
The Deputy Dawg
Old September 6, 2001, 09:29 AM   #2
Halffast

Dawg,

Here is one that is north of Dallas, I believe. I have no other knowledge of them, except what I read on their website.

www.texaspistol.com

Here is the link to Thunder Ranch that Erick mentioned. It is supposed to be one of the best. I hope to go sometime in the near future.

www.thunderranchinc.com

Hope this helps. If you go to either one, let us know what you think.

David

Shameless Personal Plug - Read "Lights Out" A SHTF Novel in progress, by me.

Molon Labe!
Old September 6, 2001, 10:04 AM   #3
Bartholomew Roberts

Dawg, there are a couple of good training places shaping up in the Fort Worth/Dallas area. They aren't Thunder Ranch but they do provide two important things: good information for less money and the ability to schedule classes over the weekend.

I have personally attended two classes at Texas Pistol Academy (http://www.texaspistol.com/)

They are a good range and the owner (Robert Duhon) is ex-Army SF. If you get a class that is taught by him, you will definitely get your money's worth. Some of the other instructors leave a little to be desired in my book - good guys and good shooters but not very good at teaching or organizing. The other two instructors that are reliable are an ex-Marine (can't remember his name - a blond headed guy) and a sniper for Garland Police (TJ I think).

If you can get a class with one of those three, I think you'll have a good experience.

There is also Pro-Tac: http://www.pro-tac.net/

This is run by a former Marine Recon and bodyguard for Perot. I haven't attended the classes but he put on a demonstration during a recent benefit match for us and seems to have an excellent knowledge base and be a good instructor as well.
The downside is the range he currently uses will be shut down by a new city ordinance in the first week of October.

There is also a former SBS guy who runs a class out of a range between Fort Worth and Abilene that has a good reputation - unfortunately I don't have a URL for him since I lost the contact info.

Finally, there is Bradshaw Pistol Academy in Abilene. They may even use the same range as the SBS guy. I don't know anything about them or their experience but they do have instructors like Chuck Taylor come and teach there.
Old September 7, 2001, 12:45 AM   #4
The Deputy Dawg

Thanks all for your input. When I try something, I'll let you know what (or which) I picked, why and what I thought of the class.

All of these suggested contacts were new to me (with the exception of Thunder Ranch, I had at least heard of them). At one time, a few years ago, a shooting range located between Fort Worth and Granbury (I have forgot their name) was offering some type of additional training. Anyone know what it was and how good (or bad) the training was?

Again, Thanks for the suggestions.